Slewmaster - CFA vs. VFA "Rumble"

I think the 5P boards are best. They aren't much longer than the 2P or 3P anyway. I will probably use 2P or 3P outputs and space them out on the 5P boards for better thermal management.

If the same-size outputs are too far apart, you may get worsened current hogging. I am not sure about the figures on this however. I need to find more data so I can calculate this risk.

You can go to Mouser and survey the popular pitch sizes by choosing those pitches and seeing how many matches are found. Here's the info I got from that. This gives an idea which spacings you should support. The second number is the number of parts matching that pin spacing.

Code:
lytic lead spacings are (number of parts on Mouser):

2mm	1391
2.5mm	1524
3.5mm	1196
5mm	5055
7.5mm	3056
10mm	208
12.5mm	126
1"	420

lytic case diameters are (number of parts on Mouser):

4mm	421
5mm	2408
6mm	124
6.3mm	1587
8mm	1781
10mm	3216
12mm	180
12.5mm	2220
13mm	63
14.5mm	80
16mm	2187
18mm	1494
20mm	124
22mm	163
25mm	135

lytic case lengths are (number of parts on Mouser):

5mm	378
7mm	701
9mm	190
11mm	3171
11.2mm	170
11.5mm	996
12mm	131
12.5mm	1002
15mm	864
16mm	803
20mm	2603
25mm	2084
30mm	258
31.5mm	726
35mm	235
35.5mm	565
1.5"	140
40mm	663
50mm	244

High-frequency lytics from Cornell, Panasonic and Xicon:

Lead spacing	Diameter	Length
3.5mm		8mm		12.5mm
5mm		10mm		16mm
7.5mm		12.5mm		20mm
		16mm		25mm
		18mm		31.5mm
				36mm

Replies and opinions....

....The 22uf caps on the OP's -

Pretty standard fare , all the commercial power amps use them.

I see a lot of layouts .... check these out -
"The" Amplifier Internals thread ... - Speakerplans.com Forums - Page 13

The slew has a lot in common with the likes of crown/yamaha.
Some use the caps , some don't.

.... Current sharing with "spaced" outputs.
With fat tracks , this should not be an issue.
Some of those amps above have widely spaced OP's, some are
just a long row of closely spaced OP's.
Also , no ground planes on any of these output stages.
The home audio versions , like the ADCOM /Alesis setups ...
are just single sided with lots of connectors.
These designers "swamp" out the design errata's with
strategically placed decoupling.

OS

Re-Draw Completed

Folks,

Here are two images of my re-draw of the 'SlewMonster 5P OPS' boards. I believe all is correct against the schematic and should be a very close match to OS's layout with very minor re-alignment / repositioning of a few things. If anyone cares to have a look and make sure I have not missed anything then please do so. If an error is identified, please let me know so it can be corrected. I'm planning on using this to generate gerbers and drill data to send out for boards.

Attachments

• JTK-Slew5P-OPS PhotoView.jpg
    JTK-Slew5P-OPS PhotoView.jpg
    352.6 KB · Views: 706
  • JTK-Slew5P-OPS.jpg
    JTK-Slew5P-OPS.jpg
    400.7 KB · Views: 657
Last edited:
Hi all...
Can I replace all 22uF & 47uF to 100uF/100v instead?
I have some 100uF/100v - 125ºC caps :D

The output inductor, how many turns & diameter?
I've made it with 14turns, 16mm diameter, 21mm long (1.45mm wire diameter)

John

You have @ a 1.5uH inductor there ....
RF Inductance Calculator - HAMwaves.com

FINE !

As Keen said , keep those OP caps on the smaller side 10-22uf ...
PS - For the multiplier and driver decoupling caps - bigger is better.
OS

Last edited:
It was never my intent to 'take over'. Rather I just wanted just to bring the current art to a very high 'polish', frankly just to suit my personal aesthetic tastes. If someone wants to do their own thing, then to each their own.

If no errors are found I will post a zip of the required files (Gerbers, Excellon and Drill Chart) for anyone to have them made.

I will likely do an order, maybe 24 pieces, with excess on offer. I have not yet priced it so can't say what the cost will be. In any event I feel any 'group buy' must be done in it's own thread. I believe it is very important not to sully OS's thread with group buy 'static'. Please make no such requests here. If / when the time comes I will post a link to a new thread for the purpose.

Folks,

Here are two images of my re-draw of the 'SlewMonster 5P OPS' boards. I believe all is correct against the schematic and should be a very close match to OS's layout with very minor re-alignment / repositioning of a few things. If anyone cares to have a look and make sure I have not missed anything then please do so. If an error is identified, please let me know so it can be corrected. I'm planning on using this to generate gerbers and drill data to send out for boards.

That OPS should light up a ni-chrome toaster wire real good !
This is the best we can do before going to a stepped PS ....
This is home audio DIY - not commercial multi- KW fare.

OS

No worries Jason,not offended,if it comes to a groupsbuy we can combine forces me for Europe you over sea.

Oh, wasn't looking to offend (nor was I offended), no apology necessary. I just wanted my position to be clear.

If there is clear demand for it the quantity can be adjusted. The distribution / management isn't that bad either. My efforts with the VSSA haven't been difficult, so this would be managed in a similar fashion.

I do like the idea of sharing the load. Many hands make for light work, so it is said. I could do the Americas and Australia, you Europe and Asia - or something like that. We can discuss those details off-board or via PM.

Oh, wasn't looking to offend (nor was I offended), no apology necessary. I just wanted my position to be clear.

If there is clear demand for it the quantity can be adjusted. The distribution / management isn't that bad either. My efforts with the VSSA haven't been difficult, so this would be managed in a similar fashion.

I do like the idea of sharing the load. Many hands make for light work, so it is said. I could do the Americas and Australia, you Europe and Asia - or something like that. We can discuss those details off-board or via PM.

Hey , I was thinking ... I have 1-2.2u wima (square poly)
5mm LS caps for the OP decoupling
caps ... make sure we have that option.

OS

That OPS should light up a ni-chrome toaster wire real good !
This is the best we can do before going to a stepped PS ....
This is home audio DIY - not commercial multi- KW fare.

OS

OS, I figured if it made sense to use PTH at certain locations then why not use the top layer for added 'beefiness'. PTH requires copper on the top anyway so you are already into a two sided process, placing additional artwork there won't change the cost by much, if any at all. I realize we aren't after the kW+ commercial units, but at this point the copper is practically free so let's use it.

Besides, if you are going to do it then we might as well do it to the absolute best possible effect.

Hey , I was thinking ... I have 1-2.2u wima (square poly)
5mm LS caps for the OP decoupling
caps ... make sure we have that option.

OS

You mean in parallel with the 22u already at the OP devices? Just want to be clear on what you mean.

Hey, I was curious to get your official opinion on my efforts. I hope I'm not stepping on your toes here. If I am, just tell me to step off.

That's a good idea,the most difficult thing that will come in our way is not everyone wants the same IPS board

It would be nice to have a few people actually build and listen to the ips so we can narrow down the choices. If we are just after multiple variations that is one thing, but if we are after the best sound then it seems silly to have six different input sections if it is agreed that a couple are the superior sounding ones. I don't really care so much about the absolute lowest distortion numbers, more interested in the actual sound in the end. Distortion figures just don't seem to have that much to do with musicality in the end. I still say with speaker distortion being <100x or more these distortion numbers that is just a foolish thing to chase in the end.