SlewMaster Builds

Hi guys, just a question re bulb limiter. Should i only use to start up first build amp to ensure it is ok but not to use it when adjusting the bias?. I finally put my 5OPS into a case but one chanel offset is 1mV but the other is 22mV so i have to remove it from chassis to adjust bias again. I have read somewhere re not to use bulb limiter when adjusting the bias thus just want to clarify it.
Quan

Hi Jason, I am finally boxing 5OPS/CFX IPS- one of the channel I could not get the bias to stabilised-drifting btw 16mV-16.5mV across RE, the other channel bias is rock solid. I also noticed that the transformer has a bit of buzz to it and the cycle of buzz cause the bias to fluctuate?.
Quan

Have you tried swapping the IPSs to see if the issue (a really minor issue, might even be related to a radiated field in the case) follows the IPS? Really that bias fluctuation is only on the order of 2-3mA, so isn't likely a genuine issue. Does it sound OK?

If it is a radiated field and you are using a torrid you might be able to just rotate the transformer to find a spot the perturbs the surrounding circuitry the least. Also make sure no hardware creates a 'shorted turn', this will make a transformer buzz too.

Post a picture of the current arrangement so we can visually check the assembly.

The DC offset is good both channels 5mV. Here are some pictures of the toroid arrangements.

Attachments

• IMG_7413.jpg
    IMG_7413.jpg
    961.3 KB · Views: 491
  • IMG_7416.jpg
    IMG_7416.jpg
    798 KB · Views: 464
Here are some shots of my first channel. +- 60Vdc. Bigger 58 vac. transformers are on the way. Mosfet 240/9240outputs. Seems to work right from start up. Offset can be set at or near zero. Bias cold is 53 mA and dropped to 50mA after playing for about half an hour. The heatsink was barely warm. Now for the second channel and a real listen.
Thanks to all, Evan

Attachments

• DSC02409.JPG
    DSC02409.JPG
    137.2 KB · Views: 448
  • DSC02413.JPG
    DSC02413.JPG
    138.5 KB · Views: 430
  • DSC02414.JPG
    DSC02414.JPG
    135.3 KB · Views: 425
  • DSC02416.JPG