Skeeter's SuperPensil12 Build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Scott,

My end goal is a reproduction of the Clairtone Project G, which has its speakers in globes 18" in diameter, so I decided that I should be working with boxes similar in scale as I work towards that goal. The Super Pensils wouldn't have been a fair comparison which could have lead me down a path of disconsolate dissatisfaction.

Go for the new build, especially as it won't take you too long. Still, a jigsaw and a flush trimming router would get that front panel out very quickly!

Scott,

My end goal is a reproduction of the Clairtone Project G, which has its speakers in globes 18" in diameter, so I decided that I should be working with boxes similar in scale as I work towards that goal. The Super Pensils wouldn't have been a fair comparison which could have lead me down a path of disconsolate dissatisfaction.

Go for the new build, especially as it won't take you too long. Still, a jigsaw and a flush trimming router would get that front panel out very quickly!

I don't know what the Clairtone Project G is/was but I'm sure it was fantastic as that's what you're looking to reproduce!!

You know, I hadn't even thought about a jig saw and flush bit. Thinking about it now that should work and if it doesn't I'm not out anything but a little bit of time. Great idea!! One panel is MUCH easier to do than the whole cabinet. I'll give it a try this weekend.

Scott

Hey Scott,

How are things?

You mentioned 1.5 lbs of Acousta-stuf poly fill in each of your cabs; I've put in the same today, but the material does not really fill up the Super Pensil 12. How did you go about the distribution?

I am getting solid and deep bass; the mids are a bit thin/dry for my liking and probably can benefit from more fluff behind the drivers.

-Zia

p.s. the bass from these things is impressive! Don' think I'll be needing a sub for music.

Last edited:
Zia,

Yeah 1.5lbs each cabinet. It was pretty dense stuff so I fluffed it out quite a bit and it filled each of the cabinets perfectly and evenly. I have the bottom 3" or so empty so that you can't see the stuffing at all. Maybe just fluff it out more so its more evenly distributed? I don't know if the fluff behind the drivers affects the mids at all, Scott or Dave could comment more. My mids are very full and rich and the fluff is even behind them so maybe that is why I don't notice it being thin?

The bass is pretty impressive with most music. For me, some music needs more but I've got dual 15's to supplement when I want that :D

Scott

Cool, let me know how it goes!

Too addicted to the sound to make the effort. Super Pensils are running as they are...

Got my Wessex up and running too - very happy that it's sounding good also. Plenty of solid low end, as usual surprising for 4 inch drivers. Initial impression is that sweet spot is tight, but when you are within the spot, very good. the EL70 provides a nice non-fatiguing sound. But with Alpair 12s I am well understanding the benefits of a larger cone - the dynamics are definitely a plus. The 6.5" FE166ENs in the BIB also perform strongly, very impressive and balanced when corner loaded.

Also had folks come over the last 3 days and have a listen to 3 sets of speakers - BIB, Super Pensil 12, Wessex. All 3 visitors have been mighty impressed! :)

I never posted pics of these in their new house. I was recently relocated for work from Seattle to Portland so we have renters in our old house and are renting a nice townhouse. Problem is, there's very little space to make a nice listening setup. I really need a basement that I can build out! Here's some pics in the new digs:

CRW_1133_RJ-medium.jpg

CRW_1140_RJ-medium.jpg

CRW_1144_RJ-medium.jpg

CRW_1128_RJ-medium.jpg

CRW_1146_RJ-medium.jpg

I never posted pics of these in their new house. I was recently relocated for work from Seattle to Portland so we have renters in our old house and are renting a nice townhouse. Problem is, there's very little space to make a nice listening setup. I really need a basement that I can build out! Here's some pics in the new digs:

CRW_1133_RJ-medium.jpg

CRW_1140_RJ-medium.jpg

CRW_1144_RJ-medium.jpg

CRW_1128_RJ-medium.jpg

CRW_1146_RJ-medium.jpg

I've got those exact same teak chairs - different table though

yes, this does appear to be a bit of a challenging room for a full HT

I've got those exact same teak chairs - different table though

yes, this does appear to be a bit of a challenging room for a full HT

I love the chairs! We got 6 of them and a table (different one than in the pic) for $100. WAY too good of a deal and they're all in great shape. I love danish modern :)

Its DEFINITELY a challenge for a full HT. I had a dedicated basement before we moved so this is, shall we say, less than inspiring. Trying to make work with what we have though.

I finally routed out the front baffle the I had incorrectly cut the first time, cut a new baffle and glued it into place. Now I'm going to finally do the bracing and finish them. I've moved another set of speakers into their place and I'm already missing them :) I really like these speakers!

Scott

Good thing you didn't try and make a whole new cabinet, you'd still be at it!

Yeah no kidding! When we moved I lost access to table saws, router tables, planers, jointers, etc. Pretty tough to do everything with a hand router and skil saw but I'll figure it out :) I am starting this weekend on the center channel and a set of desk top speakers too so we'll see how that goes.

Scott

Ok so I'm down to figuring out what color I'm going to paint the speakers. I think I'm going to roller on the finish with a foam roller to give it a little bit of a texture. I'm thinking of doing a matte or eggshell finish and as you can see from previous posts that the drivers I have are gold. I saw some ZU's that I like the finish on yesterday and am thinking a finish similar would look really good. Here is the picture of the ZU's:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I went to Home Depot today to look at paint samples and came back with a bunch and after some review with the wife we're down to the Behr Dark Granite and Glidden Seal Gray; attached are links of both. What do you think? Is there another finish that would look good? Mind you I'm most likely going to roller on the finish as I don't have a paint sprayer or booth and would like to have a slight texture on the finish rather than perfectly smooth.

Scott

Attachments

• ScreenShot025.jpg
    ScreenShot025.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 50
  • ScreenShot026.jpg
    ScreenShot026.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 61
I was looking at picking up some of the UltraTouch Insulation from CSS and line the cabinets of the SuperPensils with but didn't know if it was necessary or not and what the sonic advantages would be? I'm almost done cutting the bracing then I'm going to take out my jasper jig and cut a bunch of holes in them so the cabinets should be pretty well braced and resonant free. I also have the polyfill pretty much figured out as well. Any benefit to lining the cabinet?

Thanks!

Scott

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.