Simplistic NJFET RIAA

Good luck DubbLinn, looking good. You put Vishay C3 on its side so to take it out easily for another type C3 to test also?

yes, I'll wait until I have a good listen to it before deciding on any further changes. I don't know if spending big bucks on caps will help any, so listen and compare first then decide :)
and many thanks for the design and of course also to Teabag for the GB.
Frank

I have ordered some 0.1uf matched polystyrenes more than a month ago from ebay for c3 but to my dissapointment i must consider the package lost since it hasnt been delivered yet.
So in search for alternatives i found these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Philips-110nF-1-63V-Polystyrene-Capacitor-X2-/271225588732?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item3f264e0bfc

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-X-Philips-86-6nF-1-63V-Polystyrene-Capacitor-/270977828237?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item3f1789858d

Should i get the 86.6nf or the 110nf? (10k input impedance to Myref)

Edit: links for ebay for some reason doesnt seem to work. these are phillips yellow polystyrenes axial caps, tolerance 1%

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I have ordered some 0.1uf matched polystyrenes more than a month ago from ebay for c3 but to my dissapointment i must consider the package lost since it hasnt been delivered yet.
So in search for alternatives i found these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Philips-110nF-1-63V-Polystyrene-Capacitor-X2-/271225588732?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item3f264e0bfc

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-X-Philips-86-6nF-1-63V-Polystyrene-Capacitor-/270977828237?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item3f1789858d

Should i get the 86.6nf or the 110nf? (10k input impedance to Myref)

Edit: links for ebay for some reason doesnt seem to work. these are phillips yellow polystyrenes axial caps, tolerance 1%

The server auto truncates those links. Not sure if its on purpose or a bug.

Both values would work in your case.

Why not a polypropylene capacitor of known subjective signature?

I assumed ,dielectric-wise, polystyrene would be better than polypropylene. I have lots of options to experiment :wima mkp10 630v 0.1uf, mkp1837 0.1uf, obligatto copper 0.047uf and k71-7 0.1uf
I know k71-7 is polystyrene but its metallized (correct?) and i thought a foil polystyrene might be better

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
You should listen to those and decide then. 0.047uF will work too, but you will find some difference in the deep bass "damping" on 10K preamp/amp. Still its interesting on how synergistic to your TT and speakers/room. In any case the audible low end band will not be cut off out of spec.

As far as I have researched polystyrene is always film and foil.

The metallised process is restricted to the more robust dielectric materials that can survive the sputtering of the metal coating.

I found the post from Salas about k71-7
Those are double metallized thick coated film, with polystyrene separators. Excellent caps. Have even used 120n ones for interstage in early MM phono. Never agressive, maybe polite even.

Dont really know much more than that

As far as I have researched polystyrene is always film and foil.

The metallised process is restricted to the more robust dielectric materials that can survive the sputtering of the metal coating.

k-71 is interesting. It appears to be a pair of VERY heavily metallized polypropylene pieces, metallized to a very high grade, on both sides. I've taken part many metallized caps and this metallization quality is very high, IMO and IME.

Then, a central polystyrene separator layer.

Thus, in the final look of it's build quality and type...it's a 'tail out' (mirrored symmetrical build) on both sides, for a high grade true AC capacitor design.

I've got about 500-600 of them around here, they being quite a good cap for the money. (I bought them when tons were on ebay, in the higher uf range)

The K-71 capacitor series is both polypropylene and polystyrene, a hybrid design. by the looks of it, quite low complex z, for a fast and high current design.

There is a thread here on the forum, somewhere, where I took some apart and showed how they were made. (photos) hopefully the images were not on my server, but they might have been,and that server went away a while back. (the relevant thread is 5-6 years old, by now?)

Last edited:
I don't know if spending big bucks on caps will help any, so listen and compare first then decide :)

If the preamp which you plug the phono stage into, has an input coupling cap ... why not leave out the output coupling cap in the Salas phono? ;)

The preamp's input cap stops any DC bias from passing through into the preamp circuitry, so the output cap on the phono stage is unnecessary.

Regards,

Andy

If the preamp which you plug the phono stage into, has an input coupling cap ... why not leave out the output coupling cap in the Salas phono? ;)

The preamp's input cap stops any DC bias from passing through into the preamp circuitry, so the output cap on the phono stage is unnecessary.

Regards,

Andy

thanks for that, yes my pre has input coupling caps, so I will have a look at removing the output coupling caps (C4, I think) ?