Simple DSD modulator for DSC2

Joined 2009
Paid Member
What does that mean? If you are using the FPGA DSD converter in DSD bypass mode then you still don't like it? If so, what do you think its doing in that case that's different from not having it the circuit?
FPGA DSD converter in DSD bypass mode degrades a lot the sound quality.
Also, one of the things I'm wondering about is if you send a dac DSD then likely your OS would not mess with it. However if you send your dac PCM then your OS just might be doing something to the data. Have you done tests to show that PCM is transmitted to the FPGA dsd converter in bit-perfect form? If not, how do you know the OS is not a problem?

Not saying you're doing something wrong, just asking what you have checked and how you checked it to make sure some of the things OS have been known to do with PCM has been carefully ruled
Amanero is configured to play native DSD till DSD512 files but if I remember well PCM was configured as bypass, I can confirm this because when I send PCM can listen music.

Daphile can play native DSD512 & upsample also to DSD512 if the computer have enough power, also can convert PCM to DSD on the fly, DSD to PCM, etc. Of course Daphile settings was with no DSD output only PCM output so no room for error.....

...what's the best implementation...
What do you want to do, try to work on your existing filter, or else try to find/build a better DSD dac?

Regarding the DSD converter in DSD bypass mode, if you play DSD64 though the FPGA does it sound okay? What if you play DSD128 from HQ player through the FPGA, is it okay? Same for DSD256 from HQ Player? What I'm trying to understand is does your filter work with DSD256 directly out of Amanero? What about if DSD256 from HQ Player passes through the FPGA, is that still okay? Is the problem you hear only when the FPGA is doing the conversion from PCM to DSD?

If we can be sure about that, then the next problem is to see if your computer is outputting bit-perfect PCM. If so, then will have isolated exactly where the problem is.

Thing is we have to go through some steps to be absolutely sure where the problem is. Of course, that's only if you want to keep using your passive filter.

If you want to get a different dac then maybe we don't need to do all that stuff...at least not yet.
...rude...
Not being rude. I was told that amorphous core transformers have been measured with 4th order HD. Is that incorrect?

Last edited: