Simple DSD modulator for DSC2

Joined 2007
Paid Member
@merlin el mago: Hi ... This is not a reply based on insights into neither the Cronus or the Simple DSD modulator but if it were me I would use separate supplies so as to not have noise from the Cronus pass onto the DSD modulator and vice versa.

I don't know what the required voltages are for the DSD modulator but for trial listenings (and maybe also assessing whether the Cronus PSU can be used for both - beware of current limitations & different voltages) I reckon batteries could be used... ?

Don't know if this helps but just my two cents ...

Have a good weekend,

Jesper

Joined 2009
Paid Member
That's the best setup for me:
Amanero (clock slave)>Chronus>Simple DSD modulator>low pass filter>step-up?
Amanero (clock slave)>Simple DSD modulator>Chronus>low pass filter>step-up?

To power the Simple DSD modulator could I share the same 5V powering the Chronus or it's better separate PSU?
No one to help where to put in the chain the Simple DSD modulator?

TIA
Felipe

The idea is that you want very low jitter by the time native DSD data and clocking reaches a DSD dac. How to best do that in the diy world is still not quite clear. Chronus at first glance might seem like a good option. For those seriously considering various other options, happy to try to respond in the forum proper, or by PM.

Is anyone using Xing U30 with dsc2 and hqplayer?

I bought the xing u30, but pin 11 mute is always "on" (3.3v)

I use it with Hqplayer, the xing is recognized and hqplayer works, but there is no sound on the dac because pin 11 mute is always "on" (3.3v)

Can someone who has the xing u30 with hqplayer if is playing check if pin 11 mute goes "off" (0v)?

I have other dsc2 work with amanero, and the pin 11 of the amanero goes "off" (0v) when hqplayer is playing.

Xing u30 usb:

Supposedly this setting is for the pin 11 mute function...

Is that so?

Pin 11 in my Xing U30 never change with playing in the hqplayer, always is "on" (3,3v)

Attachments

• xing u30 mute.png
    xing u30 mute.png
    11.1 KB · Views: 81
Mute should change state briefly when switching from 44kHz family sample rates to 48kHz family or vice versa. Also Mute should be briefly asserted when switching between PCM and DSD. Things like that. You might need a scope set to trigger on a state change to see it.

Other than that, some Mute signals are active high and some are active low. Depends on the USB board and its firmware.

Here I am getting ready to test the Simple DSD Modulator using I2SoverUSB rather than Amanero. I had to add an inverter on I2SoverUSB Mute signal since its the opposite from Amanero.