Simple DSD modulator for DSC2

Joined 2017
Paid Member
If you design and build an excellent 1bitDSM DAC(more than 120dB THD+N), 32 taps FIR is essential to improve SNR, IMO. One element of 1bitDSM(1 tap) usually -30dBFS with -100dBTHD at max performance. With FIR architecture in the analog domain, you can ideally have 30dB(32 taps) gain with less degradation of THD. As far as I have experienced, the most challenging stuff is phase accuracy between the taps. They must act as one-tap(zero skews) to make the best of it. I guess a higher clock relatively requires small skew between them. That's why a higher clock degrades the performance. A virtual ground can be the way to have a good result. But if you fail to have less skew, it can't work fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,
I have the possibility of getting a modulator so i am thinking of the integration with the DSC, and i was thinking of something.
I don't know the quality of the oscillator of the Amanero, but i assume it could be better as there is several projects to reclock it with other parts from ndk or crystek. Also i red in this topic that the quality of the oscillators is important for the conversion.

I suppose there is the twisted pear audio cronus and hermes amanero that could be use, the cronus with 22 / 24 crystal. Plus the isolation between the fpga and DSC that shouldn't hurt. Did someone try this or something alike ?

My vote would be for the I2SoverUSB in preference to the Amanero every time - I've had really excellent resuts everytime I've used the JLSounds board, including for DSD.

That said, both of my DSD decoders connect to the network using Beaglebone Blacks, running ppy's 'Pure' version of Botic, as HQPlayer NAAs. With one I'm using ppy's isolator/reclocker board and the other uses a Twisted Pear Hermes/Cronus.

Hello,
Unfortunately i already bought an amanero, i got it for 15 euros so i won't argue against it :Popworm:

A generous member of the forum supply me with a modulator and dsc dac. Most parts i need are on their way to me so i should try everything soon. At start i will stay simple : Amanero -> Modulator -> DSC -> Ivan output board with his transformer.

Then i am thinking what i should need if i want to try some kind of isolator / reclocker. I have some interrogations ;

From my limited knowledge i suppose it's better to isolate between the modulator and dsc, to prevent noise from the fpga ?

To reclock i need to use the right amanero firmware, the one that can input a masterclock. There seems to be two family of firmware, for "async" and "sync" dac ?

Also if i am not mistaken, the modulator is waiting for the mclk signal from the amanero in it's input connector. So i suppose i need to wire a mclk signal to both the modulator and amanero (at pin 6 that would be both configure as input in this configuration) ?

Last question. Do you know a good isolator pcb i could use for a decent integration ? I know there was a gb for "simple isolator / reclocker pcb" in the forum, but it's very old i am not sure at all it is still possible to get one. Same for the hermes amanero. I own a hermes-BBB and cronus board but last time i check the hermes amanero was out of stock, maybe i should contact TPA to see if they have a bare pcb somewhere.

Thanks

Last edited:
Have an assembled board here, but have to adapt it somehow to work with externally clocked I2SoverUSB pinout, instead of Amanero pinout. May need to design a small interconnect board for that. Then I can finally try listening to the DSD modulator. Unfortunately, got distracted with other projects so now there is another delay.

I am using hqplayer+amanero+dsc2 very happy and with very good sound. I use an i7 11gen PC.

I think it could improve with amanero better watches, or jlsounds, or even the china xing u30.
how about the xing u30?
someone use it with dsc2?

The xing u30 seems to perform better than the amanero. jl sounds has different pins than amanero and also does not provide the 3.3v output needed for dsc2.

Can someone advise me if it is worth replacing the amanero with jlsounds or xing u30?

JL Sounds I2SoverUSB has better clocks than Amanero, but even I2SoverUSB can benefit from a higher quality external clocking arrangement.

That said, the biggest problem with Amanero SQ is that by default it runs on USB +5v power. Modifying it to run on clean +5 power helps a lot. If you haven't tried that yet, maybe wise to start there. Attached below is a pic showing where to modify the board. Remove L1 and apply clean +5v power at its lower pad, as shown in the pic. The +5v power ground should connect to the ground plane on the back side of the Amanero board. Its also possible to remove the 3.3v on board regulator shown by the lower yellow arrow. In that case +3.3v would need to be introduced at the output pin pad of the removed regulator. However IME its not really necessary to remove the regulator.

EDIT: the same +5v power mod is equally helpful for xing U30.

Attachments

• Amanero L1 location.jpg
    Amanero L1 location.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Yes, I always did that. Always connect clean ext 5v to the amanero pcb. In my case I cut the track where it says P1 and pay a cable with +5v in L1 and C27.

But I'm interested in knowing if it's worth it (because it sounds better) xing u30 would be a direct replacement, or JLsounds making pin modifications, and if its output is 5v pulses I don't know if it will be compatible with the dsc2 inputs.

Do you think it is worth replacing the Amanero?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-07-06-09-29-23-270_com.whatsapp.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-07-06-09-29-23-270_com.whatsapp.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
A better USB board can mainly provide lower jitter clocks. I2SoverUSB adds galvanic isolation. Most likely those things aren't the biggest problems with DSC2. However, there still might be some audible benefit from a better USB board even if smallish. The clocks of xing U30 have the typical sound of dacs that use Accusilicon clocks buffered through a CPLD. Its okay, but could be better. The clocks on I2SoverUSB are IMHO better than Amanero, but are buffered through a CPLD too. If you want the best off the shelf solution regardless of cost, there is always 'The Well Audio' clocks used with Iancanada FIFO_Pi reclocking products. If you only want to find out if a little bit better USB board is worth a more modest investment, you may just have to try it and see. Then you can post on the forum to help others in a situation similar to yours.