Signalyst DSC1

There is a lot of confusion about this component. Pavel can you supply a link for a suitable type?
Phillips chips have long been discontinued. In large stores Mouser Electronics - Electronic Components Distributor or DigiKey Electronics - Electronic Components Distributor you will not find them. Remains of warehouses can still be found through TaoBao. But be sure to check with the seller several times that this is indeed Phillips. You will have to spend your time looking for this rarity. For example, one of the options: 74AHCT595D SN74AHCT595DR SOP-16 -

But do not get very upset if you do not find Phillips. Chips with the NXP logo are also suitable. The chips with the "X" logo are new and worse for DSC. The exact dates of production of these series, I can not tell you.

Modern chips have improved power consumption. This has a negative effect on sound.

At least two other forums are already dying of laughter

The sound, with the thick film resistors arrays.

P.S. Use SN74LVC8T245PWR after, with a clean secondary power supply and discrete thin film 0603 resistors, and the sound will be as much good as possible from this simple solution. Even the output transformer will no so degrade the sound.

Last edited:
At least two other forums are already dying of laughter
The sound, with the thick film resistors arrays.
The fame of your communication style and the tendency to trolling has also long gone beyond this forum.

I consider the DSC2 project for myself closed. I am completely satisfied with the result. I see no reason to greatly complicate this design. The appeal of this DAC is precisely minimalism.
By the way, unlike you, I do not pursue commercial goals and shared my practical experience with the community. It is possible that someone will go further.

P.S. As for resistors. Before you make a verdict, spend a few seconds reading the datasheet for the recommended resistors. And at the same time look at the noise characteristics of the resistors in the housing 1206 and

I consider the DSC2 project for myself closed.

I'm also closed the similar project.
Specifically closed.

By the way, unlike you, I do not pursue commercial goals

I made it for myself, not for sale.

P.S. As for resistors. Before you make a verdict, spend a few seconds reading the datasheet for the recommended resistors. And at the same time look at the noise characteristics of the resistors in the housing 1206 and

Sorry, I remembered you use resistors arrays in the previous versions, not its OK.
The current resistors a good, thin film. By the way, for those voltages, 0603 are also good, the problems may be obtained with 0402 and smaller ones.
Also about the output transformers - I got much better results without transformers, connecting the similar schematic to the balanced input amplifier.
And in any case, the influence of the register's manufactures - enough to make a cat laugh :)

Last edited:
Never in DSC2 thick film resistors were used.

I admit that with the active output you can get the best results. I had a version made according to the original Signalyst scheme. Measurements showed a slight improvement in THD. But I did not like the sound, and I no longer returned to the active output.
At the beginning of this thread were interesting options for balanced outputs on the JFET. It is a pity that no one else repeated it.

And in any case, the influence of the register's manufactures - enough to make a cat laugh :)
I had the opportunity to compare simultaneously different manufacturers of AHCT595 on the same PCB's.
The difference is heard very much.

I had the opportunity to compare simultaneously different manufacturers of AHCT595 on the same PCB's.
The difference is heard very much.

The 74AHCT595 in this circuit is not just a simple logic circuit that spits out logic 1 or 0. Its output is the analog signal that you send to your amplifier. So, if different opamps can sound different, I don't see why different 595s wouldn't sound different... If it is so funny to someone, he is free to laugh as much as he wants...

In the latest version of DSC2 (http://puredsd.ru) resistors are made specifically for connectors. I wanted to understand which resistors I like more.
Vishay melf MMA0204 0.1% have a darker, with less detail sound. But if you plan to use the software volume control, it is better to use melf. With these resistors, the effect of the grunting is almost not heard even when listening to from -40-30db and DSD512.
If you are using a hardware volume control, then tantalum resistors are better.
The difference in sound between melf and tantalum is not big. Probably at the level of changing different interconnect cables.

P.S. HQPlayer has a modulator "AMSDM7 512+fs". With this modulator, the DSC2 absolutely has no grunting problems.

Last edited: