Shui Yuan Audio TPA3255 Modification Thread

20220412_161919.jpg
20220412_161928.jpg
Rebirth of a dead 2x250W Uher power amp with shui yuans + mw 48v psu..

Reactions: 2 users
I bought one of these boards from Aliexpress, from a seller listed earlier in the thread, and the order expired due to non shipment. So i placed another order from a different seller - for $6 less - and that did ship and is on the way, but I was the 2nd order on the item and the item is now sold out at that store.
A little strange. I am wondering if it's a board with issues or if the supply of them now run out.
Is there something in particular on the PCB i should check, besides the voltage tolerance of the regulator, before plugging it in to power?
I'll do a visual check over, but if there is some error in the PCB to correct please let me know.

Hi everyone, I bought this Deluxe version board from AliExpress and it arrived in Italy in less than a month, my intention is to make a 6 channel car amplifier. Today, due to lack of suitable cables, I did a listening test using the analogue output of the smartphone, a Realme 6 Pro, as a source, I set the supply voltage on the Sure-Wondom ps-sp12148 power supply to 36v and connected the speakers Boston cr8, this model has a fixed sensitivity of 2v RMS, but it is not a problem if interfaced with the DSP, considering that I was able to enjoy a good listening experience already with the headphone output, after having deactivated Dolby atmos and other amenities I can tell you that it made me pass the desire to get my Nad c312, I felt a spatiality and a precision that I had not felt for a long time, a certain liveliness in the pinch of Joe Satriani's strings is missing but I believe that it is a limit of the d / a conversion of the phone, really very convincing, at sustained volume while listening to Without me by Eminem the power consumption did not reach 10w, about 1/3 of what a VRx consumes when empty, and the heatsink was barely warm.

Attachments

• IMG20220317141903.jpg
    IMG20220317141903.jpg
    311.6 KB · Views: 349
  • IMG20220320233304.jpg
    IMG20220320233304.jpg
    405.7 KB · Views: 344
What I didn't like is the quality of the assembly, one of the capacitors was badly soldered and was touching on the heatsink, and the speaker clamps unsoldered by squeezing with some force:
IMG20220320224407.jpg

Nothing that cannot be remedied, I will look for a bit more sturdy clamps and maybe it will take a few drops of Super Attack to keep them from moving. Another annoying thing is the noise of the power supply fan, I will have to do further tests to understand if I can remove it and use the container as a dissipating surface. However, for me the test passed, I will immediately buy two more in order to have the 6 channels I need for the Mini system and I will create aluminum containers with all the suitable connections and I will mount them under the front seats without losing space in the trunk. already small of the car.

This morning I was too curious to do a serious listening, so I took the soldering iron and made myself a jack - RCA cable, I always connected the Boston cr8 speakers, and as source the PC with Asus Essence st sound card and the Helix DSP with output set flat, despite the insertion of the DSP led to a significant increase in background noise, I found all the magic that the smartphone lacked, I listened to almost all the Nannini Perle cd and many other things of various genres, I do not want making comparisons that make no sense if not done in identical conditions, but this amp is absolutely worthy of being part of a medium-high quality audio chain, it thrilled me and I have no doubts about it. Do you know if it is possible to modify the gain to adapt the input to the 4v rms of the DSP? which resistors need to be replaced?

RigolDS37.png

So I apologize for the high noise floor. Also, this is dBV, NOT dBFS with A weighting. So please keep that in mind. I am working on finding a way to get the values exported to excel to then more easily convert the chart to other weightings, etc. I'm also new with my oscilloscope, so there is much more for me to learn and do not consider this the be all end all. Also, you can see that the oscilloscope is having the classic issue of lifting at the edge, referring to the low frequency values on the left of the chart. Further, this is the value of 2.42V 1kHz sine wave, which is right to clipping. Due to heat, these are limited on wattage output. The 3E Audio can push many more watts.

I'll put up more measurements soon (including more clear on each device, the wattage reading on the PSU for power draw, the current reader, etc.). sorry for the delay and the laziness.

Reactions: 1 user
These two bode plots show the phase and gain. The gain is within a marginal difference, with the average of the lower end version flipping the phase and 20.98dB gain, whereas the average phase of the 3E-Audio was 21.16dB and a much flatter phase that is not inverted. These charts were taken with 1Vrms signal from the built-in signal generator.

The version of the cheaper board was said to be version 2.0, and the voltage regulation to 12V from 48V does not result in the chip getting hot while working. I can say the cheaper board has less headroom than the 3E Audio, although that is likely to do, in part, with the heat sink for the amplifier unit.

Also, above a certain voltage, then the gain is reduced for both amplifiers. I will be exploring that more and possibly might make simple charts showing the gain at specific voltage levels for specific frequencies.

Attachments

• RigolDS0.png
    RigolDS0.png
    97.4 KB · Views: 90
  • RigolDS0.png
    RigolDS0.png
    44.1 KB · Views: 92
Here is a better graph of the amp similar to the shui yuan for this thread. This is not scaled, the oscilloscope has a vertical 8-bit limit, and I have it set to high-res that allows for oversampling up to 12-bit, which helps with noise but not distortion. I tested with 1V signal, 2 second period. That I know the the ultrascope software doesn't have an immediately apparent way to generate the FFT value in dBV.

Attachments

• Rigol-MSO500-TPA3255lowq-dBV-07-31-2022-9_07AM.PNG
    Rigol-MSO500-TPA3255lowq-dBV-07-31-2022-9_07AM.PNG
    30 KB · Views: 99
You should check the 12V converter on the board. See if it gets hot or not. The newer versions do not. The older ones could lead to failure.
I have an unbranded v2 of the board. I also have the 3E Audio. I need a 1kHz source, then I can calibrate the cosmos APU and then use that and the cosmos ADC to do a reading on my two boards.

Hello! I have a Shui yuan amplifier with a few mods: 2x3300uF Nichicon PM, LM4562, Meanwell LRS-150-36 smps with simple FET capacitance multiplier with 29V. The sound is very, very good with the ALR Nummer 2 speakers. (4ohm) I think it's true here too that the lower supply voltage gives a softer sound. I'll try to upload a picture later. This amplifier is worth the effort because it is much better than what the price suggests.;)
Joez
hi can you please share your FET capacitance multiplier? thanks.