Semisouth Aleph J?

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Your source resistor combo should give really nice results. Excited to hear what you think

Attachments

• AJSS_mox_23.png
    AJSS_mox_23.png
    45.3 KB · Views: 279
Last edited:
Okey. The Gerbers. :djinn:
Cross my fingers everything will be fine.

I add Ver. number on bottom layer in case some changes in future.

Main thing to check when order from PCB factory:
70um copper (2oz)

Optional:
ENIG surface finish (for pretty looks :))

If you have a question about dimensions of interest, ask.

I will be here for about 10-20 minutes and will go to sleep.

Sleep is important. (c) 2Pico
:D

Attachments

• Aleph_J_SS_V1.00.zip
    85.2 KB · Views: 95
Joined 2014
Paid Member
All done. Installed in a system and sounds great. Thanks to Mr. Pass for the SemiSouths and Cody for the distribution. To ZM for getting me over the finish line.

I put this into a system with a newly completed Stasis 2020 amp. Some differences in sound. The most interesting difference being that the bass is a bit more pronounced. Bordering on too much emphasis. But it's very enjoyable listening. Now I think I'll have to buy/build some switches so I can easily swap in/out my growing collection of Pass amps... and more on the way.

Here's a couple photos. Notice my 2 cents worth with regards to securing the transistors to the heatsink...

Attachments

• P4010001.JPG
    P4010001.JPG
    418.5 KB · Views: 210
  • P4010007.JPG
    P4010007.JPG
    414.5 KB · Views: 202
  • P4010070.jpg
    P4010070.jpg
    979.9 KB · Views: 204
Joined 2016
Paid Member
All done. Installed in a system and sounds great. Thanks to Mr. Pass for the SemiSouths and Cody for the distribution. To ZM for getting me over the finish line.

I put this into a system with a newly completed Stasis 2020 amp. Some differences in sound. The most interesting difference being that the bass is a bit more pronounced. Bordering on too much emphasis. But it's very enjoyable listening. Now I think I'll have to buy/build some switches so I can easily swap in/out my growing collection of Pass amps... and more on the way.

Here's a couple photos. Notice my 2 cents worth with regards to securing the transistors to the heatsink...

Congratulations on getting it up and running! Thank you for your observations about the sound, it seems to reflect Cody’s observation as well. I wonder if the balance of the frequency response/sound will even out after a break-in period? I distinctly remember that my Aleph J build was a little bright sounding for the first month or so while it broke in, then mellowed out and is by far my favourite of the amps I have.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Yeah, that sounds accurate with my observations. For me, I hear a bit more clarity (less distortion, most likely) and more cojones, bite, speed, grip (whatever you want to call it) throughout the bandwidth. Definitely noticeable in the bass, but I've not found it overwhelming – in part because I use smaller speakers and rely on a powered sub for the lower frequencies and tune to taste.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Congratulations on getting it up and running! Thank you for your observations about the sound, it seems to reflect Cody’s observation as well. I wonder if the balance of the frequency response/sound will even out after a break-in period? I distinctly remember that my Aleph J build was a little bright sounding for the first month or so while it broke in, then mellowed out and is by far my favourite of the amps I have.
Thanks for the observation. I would not say that mine is too bright but it will be cool to see how it changes over a bit of use.

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Hi All,

I'm putting my list together for my build. Digikey doesn't have the 1uf 250V WIMA cap for C1, but the 400V version is available. According to the data sheet the lead spacing is the same and I'm wondering if this cap will be ok as id like to stick to the original build so i can compare the SemiSouth version with my Aleph J with "the same parts".

Any suggestions for non exotic C1 caps are also appreciated.

edit - also looking for C6,7 recommendations

thanks!

Last edited:
Joined 2019
Paid Member
I’ve always stuck with Wima for those caps, and have no complaints. I do like polycarbonate as well, and you can find lots of good options on eBay.

*edit* to answer your question directly, yes, the 400v will work great.

Last edited:
Last edited: