SB Acoustics SB20FRPC30-8 (8" Fullrange Cheap Monster II)

Dear Alex P79,

It is divided for efficient cutting with a fixed length board (910x1820mm) in Japan.
If you have large enough in the board size, cut at 3 plus 4=766mm, 6 plus 7=1,050mm.

As for diagonal cutting, it is not necessary because there is no sound quality benefit. It is OK as long as there is no air leakage.
Thank you for your answer. That makes sense.

I just posted another thread regarding this same driver

I want to build a boombox design with it. Possible?
What would be the max SPL be? Can I run 2 of them in a single enclosure or would I have to do two separate ones?

FR drivers have some limitations compared to multiway systems like lower power handling, uneven frequency response and higher directivity at high frequencies.
But yes its possible.

Power handling is 40W which is 16dB above 1W. So in theory max spl is 108dB at 1m distance.
In real world, power handling is usually lower, sometimes much lower, beacuse of mechanical excursion limit at low frequencies. How much, it depends on whole system (driver plus box). You need to make some simulations of driver in a box with suitable software in order to find that.

Two drivers can work sharing the same box, but box volume must be doubled. And they should be connected together in series or parallel.
If one is for L and other for R channel, box volume have to be internally separated in two equal halves.

Reactions: 1 user
FR drivers have some limitations compared to multiway systems like lower power handling, uneven frequency response and higher directivity at high frequencies.
But yes its possible.

Power handling is 40W which is 16dB above 1W. So in theory max spl is 108dB at 1m distance.
In real world, power handling is usually lower, sometimes much lower, beacuse of mechanical excursion limit at low frequencies. How much, it depends on whole system (driver plus box). You need to make some simulations of driver in a box with suitable software in order to find that.

Two drivers can work sharing the same box, but box volume must be doubled. And they should be connected together in series or parallel.
If one is for L and other for R channel, box volume have to be internally separated in two equal halves.
Thankyou so much. Exactly what I wanted to know!

Played in Winisd a little bit, with 2 drivers in parallel, 60liters total (sealed box) @ 40 watts input signal
I am keeping xmax set at 4mm. Is this correct?

It says it should be able to achieve 110db @ 1 meter,
f3 about 65hz.

You think this is doable?

Last edited:
I am keeping xmax set at 4mm. Is this correct?
Data says linear coil travel (peak to peak) 8,2mm. Thats 4,1 on each side, so if you work with 4mm Xmax thats ok.

It says it should be able to achieve 110db @ 1 meter,
f3 about 65hz.

You think this is doable?
Max excursion limit (before damage) is higher than Xmax. Its not given in a datasheet, but if simulator shows 110dB at Xmax, the absolute spl limit should be even higher.
So, assuming you made everything right I think its doable.

it probably would not move much in a Karlson K12 with Fb ~83Hz. A BetsyK played club levels for a bit til its tinsel leads left the eyelets - it really wasn't moving even 1/4" p-p.

I hope this driver has enough top end to balance in a Karlson/Karlsonator (ordred 1) - it needs to be brighter than a BG20 for sure. FE206 is good in a K12. A stock Karlsonator 8 is tuned ~41Hz - that would be a bit low for 206 - perhaps not for this SB.

Friends and I did a shootout few weeks ago

SB20FRPC30-8 -> Seas FA22Z -> Dayton PS220 -by a far margin-> Lii Audio 8" that's NLA.

The SB had better, deeper bass, smoother midrange and the best highs i heard in any fullrange 6-10" driver!
What amplifier(s) were used in this shootout? And what cabinet was used for the Lii Fast-8? It's specs w/Qts of around .6 look like its' best for an OB.
I read some Decware tube amp users like the Lii 8 and the Wild Burro Betsy 8" in a smallish Caintuck OB
Do you think the SB20FRPC30-8 would work/sound OK in such an OB or it really needs a closed box?
How about a very large OB with a 15" below it? thanks.

Last edited:
8” SB20FRPC30-8 / Paper
Total Q-factor, Qts 0.45

I think is too low for an open baffle without equalization. For this configuration you need a driver with Qts higher (>0.7). The Wild Burro Betsy is Qts=0.783

It will work much better in bassreflex or TL.

Reactions: 1 users
I installed SB Acoustics 8" Fullrange(SB20FRPC30-8) in TQWT.

Well-extended bass.
Natural mid and high range with little grating.
High quality throughout the all range, and the performance is above the price.

@nandappe maybe I missed it but what amplifier(s) have you used with this speaker?
Has anyone tried with this speaker using a low cost Class-D amp with a TI chip like a TPA32xx or TPA3116 ?
I'm curious opinions on the sound quality with this combo.
I'm thinking of getting the Aiyima A05 (TPA3221) or Aiyima A04 (TPA3251).

Last edited: