SB Acoustics SB20FRPC30-8 (8" Fullrange Cheap Monster II)

Percival, that was great! Reminds me of a cross between Les and Jaco, two of my favorites. Nandappe, you don't waste any time getting down to it! Thank you for the recording. I've thought about the Tangband in an open baffle with a 15 or two, but I haven't wanted to drop the cash on what I would want, without knowing if I would love it or not. I could do a killer horn system for the same cost, of course, apples to oranges. I'm really impressed with that SB for 60 bucks! Glenn.

Glad you enjoyed it!
I have the W8-1772 plus a 15" on OB. I like it a lot, but at some point, I did an OB tower of four SB 5x8" plus the SB65 2.5" in a DIY horn and the 1772 system got forgotten a bit. With some EQ, the woofers played very nice and deep enough for most, and if I needed, I had two subs on standby for the serious stuff!

Reactions: 1 user
The bass is a little softer, but sound is great.

SET amp [1]Take Five / Malene Mortensen

Digital amp [1]Take Five / Malene Mortensen

SET amp [2]Take Five / Helge Lien

Digital amp [2]Take Five / Helge Lien
The obvious difference in tone and transient presentation between the SET, and the Digital amp is fascinating. Via these YouTube clips, the Digital amp clips sounds much more neutral in overall tone, and cleaner on percussion transients, especially cymbals and bells. While the SET clips sound more prominent in the midrange, and presents overtones and reverberation as much more rich and lively.

The SET sounds more like a real event on the Marlene Mortensen clip. An effect which is especially noticeable on the sound of the piano, where it sounds like the instrument is much more closely miked than via the Digital amp. Whereas the presentation of the Digital amp sounds more like merely an obvious reproduction of the original event. In net, I prefer the overall effect of the SET on the Mortensen clip, and that of the Digital amp on the Helge Lina clip.

SB did their homework here with the wizzed cone design……the 30 degree off axis plot really smoothies the response out past 12khz and with some minor tweeks in a DSP setup should be really really nice off axis a bit allowing for a wider sweet spot…….for $60 I can’t see how one could go wrong in a DIY OB application……the SB over an 18” Goldwood woofer would make for a pretty awesome $200 speaker.

Reactions: 1 users
SB did their homework here with the wizzed cone design……the 30 degree off axis plot really smoothies the response out past 12khz and with some minor tweeks in a DSP setup should be really really nice off axis a bit allowing for a wider sweet spot…….for $60 I can’t see how one could go wrong in a DIY OB application……the SB over an 18” Goldwood woofer would make for a pretty awesome $200 speaker.
Would you only see this as a dsp setup? How about a passive cover for simple one amp setup? I like simple setups that I can swap different amps in and out. Glenn.

Reactions: 2 users
Four pieces of Cheap Monsters arrived!

They are cheap, but build quality is excellent. They have that old school green cone look and foam suspension. I will put them in sealed box for the first test.

nandappe, thanks for the recordings which you are providing regularly. Sorry if I missed, but in what kind of enclosures are yours installed? Thanks...

pic2.jpg

Attachments

• pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 174
Would you only see this as a dsp setup? How about a passive cover for simple one amp setup? I like simple setups that I can swap different amps in and out. Glenn.
Here’s the thing…..I’m old school…..we’re talking voicing XO by first baseline formula and then by ear, in room. Close mic measures tell you literally nothing about how a speaker will sound in a 3D space. DSP allows that voicing with a laptop and chair, in real time instead of sims, solder and multiple iterations…..technology is amazing!

Four pieces of Cheap Monsters arrived!

They are cheap, but build quality is excellent. They have that old school green cone look and foam suspension. I will put them in sealed box for the first test.

nandappe, thanks for the recordings which you are providing regularly. Sorry if I missed, but in what kind of enclosures are yours installed? Thanks...

View attachment 1097814
I believe they are his DDVP-20 boxes.

SB20FRPC30-8 is installed in DDVP-20(TQWT).
The sound is well-balanced, so I don't think filters or DSP are necessary.
Many thanks for sharing the details of your build. After watching the videos I am genuinely intrigued and very tempted to build a pair myself if you do not mind? I have just built a ‘bass module‘ using an SB Acoustics 10” SW26SFC38-8 for my father in 15 litre sealed enclosure only 9cm deep which had certainly added richness to his Tannoy dual concentric standmounts. I haven’t run any simulations but I wonder if these speakers, augmented with a stereo pair of sealed bass towers containing 2 x SW26s in opposing configuration, would work well?

SB20FRPC30-8 and DDVP-20 are a good match, so please build them.
I imagine you will be happy in the near future.

Please use the additional woofer as you like.

DDVP-20 plan and cutting
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...ker-photo-gallery.65061/page-241#post-6859729
Thanks for the link. Regarding the cabinet, is there a reason that pieces 3 and 4 are separate rather than one slightly longer piece? Is it to make it easier to make an angled cut on some smaller table saws?