Salas DCG3 preamp (line & headphone)

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I am thinking at some point to try the DCG3 with a pair of SSLV1.1 shunt regs which at the moment are supplying a BA3 preamp with +-24vdc. Would I be ok using the same transformers; 2x22vac secondaries which are giving 28vdc after the the main capacitors. This would mean dropping 11 volts. Also is 220R the correct load resistor for a dummy load? tia.
Yes it will be OK trying the SSLV1.1 with those transformers

150 or 120 Ohm dummy will be more representative, like 110 or 140mA at 17V, depending on your DCG3 bias

My experience with an early preamp prototype of shared shunt reg is that the SSLV will need two wire mode with DCG3 to be clean of MHZ band anomalies but not sure for every different finalized DCG3 installation. If without a scope to check the rails are clean, better go two wire mode

More on SE input to balanced output conversion;
I checked with R7s lifted. Yes, it does SE/bal conversion. The interesting thing is that it does it with and without - in to GND! Also there is buzz noise not affected by ground lifters. It doesn't change to better or worse even if I touch the wire that connects the R7s. Go figure!

Pic of my "DAC". A modified Asus essense STXII.

Reading your post prior to this you indicated that you connected SE reference to DCG3 G. You should connect it to In- on the DCG3 not G. A balanced amp does not care whether you feed a balanced signal or SE across In+ and In-.

nash

No Joy Day

Hi,

I forgot to insulate the Mosfets before power up and have likely caused some damage to the power supply (possibly more). The inboard LEDs blinked and their respective fuses blew.

I insulated the mosfets and replaced fuses and now read +24.3V and -6.6V ( on minus and plus rails respectively). The other side is about the same.

Where do I look?

TIA

Keith

Attachments

• IMG_1358.JPG
    IMG_1358.JPG
    701 KB · Views: 648
Are those voltages without the amp board connected? I hope so.

24v means the led's and regulator diodes aren't doing their job. Actually, this is kind of a good thing...at least it's somewhere to start. You have a straight shot from the transformer. Replace leds and then semis is probably where I would start.

-6v means something is broken, maybe caps got reverse voltage but you are losing voltage somewhere. I'd measure voltage at the first cap after the rectifier to see that you are getting -24. Once you get to the leds if you have -24v you know the problem is after that.

If you replace the leds and the semis on the psu board you should be ok. Resistors look ok?

The amp board is another story...but if you can fix the psu you can start debugging it.

Attachments

• P3250483.jpg
    P3250483.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 623
  • P3250484.jpg
    P3250484.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 605
  • P3250485.jpg
    P3250485.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 602
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Just finish my DCG-3 build. I use MUSES72320 electronic pot kit from Japan which has 20k ohm impedence.
‚l‚t‚r‚d‚r‚V‚Q‚R‚Q‚O�@“dŽqƒ{ƒŠƒ…�[ƒ€ƒLƒbƒg: ‘g—§ƒLƒbƒg �HŒŽ“dŽq’Ê�¤ “dŽq•”•i ƒlƒbƒg’Ê”Ì

Everything working fine so far. Many thanks for Salas and Tea.

Congratulations. First one here with a Muses chip-pot I believe. Let us know more about your system and how it blended in after you run it enough to grasp the qualities.

Hi Salas,
I see Seanwu uses two outputs connected in parallel. Is it the right way to have two independent outputs?
I assume that usege of output 1 or 2 is ok. But if to use both at the same time (like 1 for power amp and 2nd for power Subwoofer), then we need to add resistor.
We discussed that subject on Hypnotize/Mesmerize B1 buffer forum with Andrew.

Attachments

• 2 output for DCG3.jpg
    2 output for DCG3.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 645
Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Absolutely properly for two outputs it is done with a jumper on the PCB 50R output resistor's place and one 50R inline with each RCA output. Then again because its a strong driving circuit that does not care much about total cable capacitance it has to be compared to say its detectable or not vs just Y after the common 50R.

Using the Muses attenuator it already has input capacitors to that chip and an expensive Muses DC servo op-amp for its output on its own little PCB so there are even more things to consider vs a typical DCG3 configuration.

Also been planning implementation of a Muses volume control in the DCG3.
Havent ordered the kit yet.
But - another linestage is coming into the house in a week or so. And this has the muses already installed.
Will compare the DCG3 with this just for the fun of it. Its a high end pre costing approx 3300USD direct from manufacture.. After using the DCG3 for a while now I really think it will be hard to beat...

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
When you want a REC OUT of fixed level and not passing through the DCG3 circuit, you can tap signal off the input selector switch and buffer it via something simple on a small perfboard like a DCB1 style CCSed JFET source follower or some op-amp voltage follower. The +/-17V rail can also provide power for such solutions. Buffered is better. Both it isolates the recorder to the DCG3 and drives the recorder's interconnects better.

Ricardo,
I had similar thoughts also, but if you pass the signal through the preamp it won' t be with fixed output, as the signal will have to go through the volume control.
The only way to have fixed volume tape out is to take the signal before the pot.
If your source can drive the tape input and the cables you will have a problem, otherwise a buffer only for tape out is necessary.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Ok. So buffer i will use. Dcb1 style but running at +-17v.
This buffer will be connected before the pot so it will be parallel to it. As it is jfet input the high input impedance will not affect the rest. And the signal input can be chosen by the existant relay board. Good
Btw, after changing the shunts with new ones prepared for 17v and also changing the compensation cap in the dcg3 feedback, it sounds spectacularly well with my new mosfet power amps.