Salas DCG3 preamp (line & headphone)

Hi!.

Looking the images from Nash's preamp, I like the solution for volume attenuation. But thinking about something even more simple I remembered an old thread about "Passive balanced volume control using a single attenuator" and this would be a possible solution.

What do you think about?
D.Self and maybe some others have analysed that attenuator style and told us it is not good.
Something to do with the attenuations of CM and DM interferences.

I used to think this simple rheostat attenuator maintained the balanced impedances and thus was perfect, until I read D.Self, then I stopped recommending it.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
BTW for those who utilize the DCG3's headphones output too, mainly for North American market accessibility, the new $300 106mm planar Monoprice M1060 seems to gather interest for delivering large magnetostatic goodnesss on the cheap. Has some construction issues others say. That would not stop curiosity it proved as they are out of stock already.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=16050
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlWaIDITScI

Salas I am still struggling with finding a perfect case for my needs. If for example I decide to separate psu, should I move transformers into other box, make smal CRC there just so I don't run AC and connect it right after rectifiers in the psu boards? Or there are some cons i don't see in doing so?

No cons, only benefits. You will just carefully implement the rectification & a first reservoir stage in the first box near the trafos. You can put an R in-between that and the DCG3's box DCSTB reservoir. Use Duncan's PSUD software to analyze as a whole.

Hi Salas

Do you have more info on what the benefits are in adding a resistance there or any links to discussions about this that you are aware of?

Thanks

Joined 2006
Paid Member
hello Salas

Now that I reasonably finished my power amps that have 30dB gain and produce a sound quite lisible, I am enjoying the DCG3 as I should.

But I have a small issue, with the DCG3 I hear a low level noise only aparent when there is now signal. It seems like digital crizz but might as well be other thing.

Can the preamp be uncompatible with the V12R I am using ?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I don't know what this sound could be in your special build mix. If the rails are clean on your scope then they are. Tham beta tester had 1.2s and did not report weird sounds. Can it be you have a light ground loop? Does that sound have some zzz element?

Joined 2006
Paid Member
here we go

Attachments

• DSC_0588 web.JPG
    DSC_0588 web.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 581
  • DSC_0592 web.JPG
    DSC_0592 web.JPG
    246.9 KB · Views: 540
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hmm... now that's complex enough because it has stacked positive PSUs, sense runs, two pots.

1. Ground the metal necks of the pots.

If something does not change to the better... 2. Sever the top layer's front edge ground plane at mid-line between channels with a hobby knife and replace the now yellow to chassis wire with two of those connecting the pots signal return legs to the chassis screw like a Y. Because I possibly see a PSU 0 ground bar wire going from edge to edge connector and the loop continues around through the GND plane.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Changing the GND layout did not help but I scoped the shunt outputs and found noise in the MHz range.

I am using shunts that I saved from an old folded build so they are optimized for 35Vout.
In this case I have one 30kohm resistor fro vref and the tail ccs jfet has a trimmer in the source leg so to get the desired 17Vout I just turned the trimmer pot. current in the shunt ccs might be too small and also current in the vref ccs.

I will build new dedicated shunts for this preamp and report latter.