Salas DCG3 preamp (line & headphone)

Joined 2017
Paid Member
Thanks Yurik.
inspired me to a fourth variant:
Toroids at the front, into PSU, into Line-Stage, into I-select, into in-/outputs... volume-jig must be "fly-by-wire" technology (muses or elma relay attenuator), as the toroids would be in the way of an extension-rod or the signal-wires would have to cross them...

Attachments

• symmetriclayout2.jpg
    symmetriclayout2.jpg
    581.7 KB · Views: 203
Reactions: 1 user
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Thank you Salas!
I go with the jets on a bottom-plate (with good, additional passive aeration)
Is one layout technically better than the other?
For its symmetry, I prefer the symmetric layout, but the third option should be working too… (temp issues maybe?)
This narrow box has thick side panels. Why not mount the main board vertically along a side panel. That way you free up floor space for arrangements and heat exchange is more direct.

Thanks Yurik.
inspired me to a fourth variant:
Toroids at the front, into PSU, into Line-Stage, into I-select, into in-/outputs... volume-jig must be "fly-by-wire" technology (muses or elma relay attenuator), as the toroids would be in the way of an extension-rod or the signal-wires would have to cross them...
Was looking at your layout, and I have something similar, except the tx's are on the left because mains in the back and power switch at the front. This arrangement works very well. The main goal was to space the audio pcb as far away from the TX's as possible within the enclosure. I attach an image for your info and use. I you would like any other views just let me know. It is a most incredible preamp.

DCG3-6300.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Local "Metal by the foot" has some small bars of aluminum that will be perfect for the heat sinks on the shunt power supplies! Then can move existing power supply to new smaller build. Both will have HP jacks soon. Want to try the new headphones out on the DCG3, so far it has been breaking in on my laptop and Audioquest dragonfly Red. Hoping for a jump in performance! Phones are breaking in nicely.

Russellc

Last edited:
Joined 2003
Paid Member
My phone jacks strived last night. They are the Neutrik one that locks with the red tab others here have used.

This is my first set of headphones, Confused initially and haven't had time to look into it, saw 3 connectors. Is the third one a ground? Will look back for pics for examples this eve.

Any schooling on it's hookup greatly appreciated! I get it as to the two HP pads on the board, 3rd one is the question I guess.

Russellc

Joined 2003
Paid Member
This is my first foray into headphones, and my first headphone set more than ear buds. Sennheiser HD 6xx from mass drop.

I broke them in by leaving them play on repeat a couple days. Been listening a little with phone, and a Audioquest red dragon fly dac.

Wanting to see how they fair with the DCG3!

Thanks,

Russellc