Salas DCG3 preamp (line & headphone)

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Bah, now when you said it, I found out, it's out of stock for stereo in my usual go to online store
There is the 10K log Tocos also that's easier to find but I don't know about that releasing too much bandwidth. I would prefer 20K for 1MHZ bandwidth. Maybe getting 10K and 50K (500kHz BW) since they are cheap and decide in your specific system. Keeping the less preferred one for another diy project.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Massimo I had measured -3dB (0.707) sinewave very near to 1MHZ for 20K log pot at half signal volume position with the 3.3K 10pF filter in place. I have 40MHZ sinewave generator and 200MHZ oscilloscope which are very consistent for vertical at few MHZ frequencies. I hope I did not make some mistake but I remember I had checked a few times back when I was developing the circuit.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Just to double check. The simulator finds 800kHz with 20K pot at half and LSK389C which states 25pF Ciss so with the uPA that states 15pF the about 1MHZ test figure should have been right.

Attachments

• BWpot.png
    BWpot.png
    16.7 KB · Views: 658
Morning...

So i was out trying to find some headphones to try out 😄

But there are not much to try around here unfortunately.
Anyway i tried some pioneer out... They where good
enough; but headphones with bassboost, is not was
i was looking for.

Jesper

Attachments

• IMG_4318.PNG
    IMG_4318.PNG
    351.1 KB · Views: 605
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Morning...

So i was out trying to find some headphones to try out ��

But there are not much to try around here unfortunately.
Anyway i tried some pioneer out... They where good
enough; but headphones with bassboost, is not was
i was looking for.

Jesper

When you can't find few of the known likely contenders locally for an audition, I don't know, maybe make a safe bet. Like getting a Sennheiser HD 518 or AKG K240 for open backs, both are affordable the former is fuller the latter is lighter but has interesting character. If they have to be closed back get the Audio Technica ATH-M40x. Also affordable and balanced enough.

When you can't find few of the known likely contenders locally for an audition, I don't know, maybe make a safe bet. Like getting a Sennheiser HD 518 or AKG K240 for open backs, both are affordable the former is fuller the latter is lighter but has interesting character. If they have to be closed back get the Audio Technica ATH-M40x. Also affordable and balanced enough.

Yes... my own thought also about that!
So actually my wife said that we allways can return them if they are not our taste. So we ordred the K240's yesterday on sale (not this blackfriday thing).

So let's see next week if they are good :):)

I am still waiting for my torrids to finish my build. Yesterday i recieved a dispatch notification from Poland. They make them torrids, when they get the orders i think.

I was reading about input/output impedances, and how it influences our amplifierers. I can't seem to find information about the output impedance of this Pre.? Is it high/low ??? :)

Jesper.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Its 50 Ohm for its line output and 0.002 Ohm theoretical for its headphone output when RZ/J is chosen as wire link but in a practical build all contacts and wires and solder have resistance so it should be something like 0.1 Ohm.

Its 50 Ohm for its line output and 0.002 Ohm theoretical for its headphone output when RZ/J is chosen as wire link but in a practical build all contacts and wires and solder have resistance so it should be something like 0.1 Ohm.

As i read it, this must be considered very good.

Anyway hardware is on it's way :p

Jesper.

Attachments

• AKG-shipping.png
    AKG-shipping.png
    32.5 KB · Views: 650
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
As i read it, this must be considered very good.

Anyway hardware is on it's way :p

Jesper.

That means 51 Euro including shipping? Very cheap offer. Can't regret having a classic professional model for so little money. The K240 differentiate for source and amping quality. They scale up their sound enough I mean despite being cheap.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Ordered Philips Fidelio X2 the other day. Black Friday offer - 110$. Hope they will be ok?
Still I do like my old Audio Technica ath-911 gold.

Fidelio X2 is really good for both build and sound. Has many fans. With that offer it's fantastic value. They are sensitive but because 30 Ohm you can try the 150mA bias mode too in DCG3 and see if it will sound any better to you on those cans.

Last edited: