Salas DCG3 preamp (line & headphone)

Hi to all, :)

I need some help with this picture. Can someone tell me if this one is a dual mono build ?
579639d1478967090-salas-dcg3-preamp-line-headphone-dual_dcstb_testrig1.jpg

The reason I'm asking that is because I'm just trying to clarify what to order for a dual mono build, I mean how many boards, that's why.

Thanks in advance
Nick

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I've got a portable iFi iDSD Micro Headphone Amp - has anyone got one and how does it compare with the DCG3?
Thanks

No beta builders have that one as far as I know. Such DAC/amps in general are very capable from what I have listened in a recent headphones show. I mean you are covered and you don't need to build something else for any practical reasons. On the other hand there are no JFET + MOSFET minimal signal path Class A choices that I know of out there in the ready made world. And if there are some they should be costing $$$. Its usually either chips or tubes.

Any guys have ever tried TKDs (in general) and this one in particular?

TKD 2CP-601/S Potentiometer | Hifi Collective

Wonder how it compares to Alps blue.
Tired one several years ago.
I do feel that sound quality of the TKD pots is better than ALPS RK27. However, TKD pots seems have noise and contact problem (one channel have no sound) after several year of use.
A friend of mine both encountered the same issue. So we both changed the TKD pots.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I am measuring a Tocos 50K Log here that Vgeorge got recently from that Taiwan guy on ebay who sells them by two pieces and I see better channels agreement than with the older production one that I have in my 6V6 line pre. Like 2-5% in the mid region and 10% worse case in the very low resistance region. Its a good sounding relatively economic pot to have in the parts drawer.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The 20K log value isn't as usually offered as the 50K log. Did you find a store that has it on offer? Also examine the type number because its complex and one letter difference can mean linear type. Better clarify with the seller if its not explicitly listed as log taper.