Salas DCG3 preamp (line & headphone)

Hi,
My headphones are the vintage AKG 180, 600 ohms. I got them some years ago for 50 euro. They needed restoration and since I was involved, I rewired them for balanced mode. I used a five pins XLR. Before you ask how do they sound in this configuration, I rush to say that my current balanced line stage is not enough by its own to move them adequately... DCG3 is coming to the rescue. It will be two boards - one stereo board per channel - and one DCSTB per board. Does this mean two 100VA transformers?

Attachments

• AKG K180 exploded.jpg
    AKG K180 exploded.jpg
    464.1 KB · Views: 672
  • Balanced wiring.jpg
    Balanced wiring.jpg
    308.4 KB · Views: 648
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Two 80VA even. Two inch high DCSTB sinks will be better also. I have tested with my vintage Senn HD40 600 Ohm. Three times gain seemed enough. Those are rather low sensitivity cans. You can go four times gain if the 180s will appear quiet. Depends on the I to V stage's voltage level a lot too.

Two 80VA even. Two inch high DCSTB sinks will be better also. I have tested with my vintage Senn HD40 600 Ohm. Three times gain seemed enough. Those are rather low sensitivity cans. You can go four times gain if the 180s will appear quiet. Depends on the I to V stage's voltage level a lot too.
Thanks Salas! It seems this is going to be the xmas holiday project!

Headphones / Cans no hum

Hi.

Just for testing, i tried my setup (testrig) with headphones only as Salas suggestet.

Those are not so sensitive headphones, and with volume 9/10 up, they are deadquiet; I was sitting for some time, pushing them onto my head, but no noise/hum etc... occours.
So i will wait hunting my main hifi for noise/hum (not much, but audible through) until i finish up this build with dual torrids and so on.

I write this, just if someone would like to know, that this DCG3 preamp is quiet.

Good evening to all.

Philips shp1900
Acoustic system
open
Magnet type
Neodymium
Frequency response
20 - 20,000 Hz
Impedance
32 ohm
Sensitivity
98 dB
Speaker diameter
40 mm

Attachments

• Headphonetest.jpg
    Headphonetest.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 643
What is the input impedance of DCG3? Sorry if this has been stated somewhere in this topic allready, but i could not find it. Is it equal to the R2 value 330kohm or something totally different? I'm asking because it is possible to set the load impedance in my Arduino LDR volume controller, so it would be nice to set a correct value.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Come on Salas... they are too cool those cans :yell:
The 701's are on sale in DK ~160Eur

Jesper.

The K701 have super wide soundstage and much fine detail while the DCG3 seriously fleshes out their infamous lean bodied presentation but I would surely recommend skipping them for the K712 PRO when shopping in the higher price range AKG anyway. In budget conscious shopping the K240 Studio is very good value.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
What is the input impedance of DCG3? Sorry if this has been stated somewhere in this topic allready, but i could not find it. Is it equal to the R2 value 330kohm or something totally different? I'm asking because it is possible to set the load impedance in my Arduino LDR volume controller, so it would be nice to set a correct value.

Its 330K indeed when no pot is in between source and DCG3. With a 20K-50K pot added there, it is simply as much as the pot regarding the source.

The K701 have super wide soundstage and much fine detail while the DCG3 seriously fleshes out their infamous lean bodied presentation but I would surely recommend skipping them for the K712 PRO when shopping in the higher price range AKG anyway. In budget conscious shopping the K240 Studio is very good value.

Hi.

I really would like to go in town and try some out, but there is not many possibilities around here.
First link is a warehouse nearby, but it looks like they only got AKG new models with noise reduction and such nasty things.

Hovedtelefoner - køb nye høretelefoner billigt - Elgiganten

This store is also nearby, which is a chain of "claimed" highend stores around in DK. (pretty good stuff allright)

Do some know any of those?

https://www.hifiklubben.dk/hovedtelefoner/

Jesper.

I know Senn HD25-1 II pro headphones from there which are very good closed back for DJs and for foldback mix in studios. When good isolation and no leakage are required.

Cool...

Meanwhile our big boy, yelled dad why dont whe try out mine in ear sennheiser ones!
Good idea... boy :) i am listning to Eagles... Hell good sound from them.
The young fellow, also claims that this pre. sounds much better than his samsung edge phone :p

In weekend i will try go an listening to some.

Jesper.

Attachments

• Eagles.png
    Eagles.png
    189.6 KB · Views: 812
  • Sennheiser.png
    Sennheiser.png
    178.2 KB · Views: 796
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
You listened with 16 Ohm load in ear monitors by the way. Expensive model too. Those need very little voltage but are hungry for current. So they can be driven from low rail mobile battery powered devices. They supposedly don't appreciate dedicated amps as they can build volume too easily. Hey, this guy even claims its the only one model he could pick out his soundcard hiss. So if you don't hear your hiss they probably need repair :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QBDd339dK4

You listened with 16 Ohm load in ear monitors by the way. Expensive model too. Those need very little voltage but are hungry for current. So they can be driven from low rail mobile battery powered devices. They supposedly don't appreciate dedicated amps as they can build volume too easily. Hey, this guy even claims its the only one model he could pick out his soundcard hiss. So if you don't hear your hiss they probably need repair :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QBDd339dK4

They actually sound very good, also with volume around at 1-2 o'clock (No more i dare :D)... Our son bought them used for some time ago.
I feel that this preamp. is going to be used a lot for headphones when done. But as i wrote earlier this is a hole new world for us.
Warning offtopic :
I also listning carefully when he speaks about soundquality, because he got pretty good ear's, and i teached him what to listning for. -For some years ago, when i build the AlephJ and F5, we did a session, where i plugged in and out my AlephJ/F5 PCB's a couble of times for comparing them.
It ended up, at that time with some fullrangers(kindof bright), that we both liked the AlephJ on them. -But after i got other new/used speakers, i think the F5 bass/topend will be better?
Offtopic end.

Have a nice Freidy out there :note:

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Buy sensitive headphones in general because you selected 2X gain only. In-ear monitors and DJ cans are generally sensitive. The HD25 reaches 120dB with 1V and the HD8 115dB with 1V. Could not hear hiss or hum with 3X gain at max volume even on my brother's HD8 which seemed double loud+ than my HD600 subjectively for any same volume knob position. Very good sound for a closed back and fantastic build quality by the way. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61p077wbz44

*I have listened both to Aleph J and F5 on big multi-way speakers and I preferred the AJ for its better fleshed out tone and sweeter top end

Attachments

• IMG_20161118_153807.jpg
    IMG_20161118_153807.jpg
    411.2 KB · Views: 716