Salas DCG3 preamp (line & headphone)

What is the protocol for plugging in headphones ?
I have been switching both the Pre and the power amps off at the moment but would it do any harm to just plug and unplug the phones ?

Another question when I do plug the phones in the output to the speakers still stays on, is that normal?.
Am I supposed to switch my power amps off to listen through the head phones

Alan

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
No harm for plugging and unplugging headphones at any time.

Its normal in this preamp that the line output stays live when you plug headphones.

There are "intelligent" headphone plugs with extra contacts if you want to route line out through them but not so puristic an idea for signal run and integrity.

No harm for plugging and unplugging headphones at any time.

Its normal in this preamp that the line output stays live when you plug headphones.

There are "intelligent" headphone plugs with extra contacts if you want to route line out through them but not so puristic an idea for signal run and integrity.

Kaliméra Salas
Thank's for that clarification thats good news:)
The Pre Amp sound excellent, its totally silent, no hiss or hum and bass goes deeper than I have heard from my system before. Its fast and transparent
so thank you (efcharistó) for this excellent design and to Tea Bag for organising the group buy :cool:.

Alan

Very nice to know that you like it. Congratulations for your build, you are welcome. Some info about the rest of your system?
The rest of my system is as follows
Power amp mono blocks Avondale Audio NCC-300 built from circuit boards as a beta tester Class A/B

Speakers - Wilmslow audio kit Classique with soft dome, basically a Volt BM220.8 bass mid and a Scanspeak D2905-9500 tweeter
CLASSIQUE - Soft dome

Turntable - Pioneer PLC-590/ Micro Sieki MA505 arm and Denon DL103R
Garrard 401 / 12" Jelco 750L and Ortofon Kontrapunkt b
Paradise Phono stage built by me

I have 18 Reel 2 Reel players of which the best one is my Studer A810 my hobby is restoring and recalibrating R2R
I have 4 Cassette decks Teac 122 mk2 & 122 mk3, Tandberg TCD440A and a Nak BX150E

Digital
All music is ripped to my synology NAS in Flac format and I have a silent mini PC in my music room connected to my system via an M2Tech Young DAC and J Rivermedia player
Study system Rogers A100 amp, Rogers T100 tuner, Rogers JR149 speakers

Alan

Last edited:
Nice analog gear, especially the R2R restored fleet. What is your silent mini PC's power consumption? Does it use a usual external brick SMPS adapter? Also, what PSU powers the DAC?

PC has an ASUS AT510NTI delux mini ITX MOBO which is powered by an external laptop brick with a DC output
AT5IONT-I DELUXE | Motherboards | ASUS Global 8gb ram
Hard drive is solid state OCX and is only for OS and J River software, it has a DVD drive but it is normally disconnected so there are no moving parts inside the box.
Windows audio is disabled by JRiver and audio driver is from M2 tech kernal streaming PC to DAC is Asyncronis USB

DAC is powered by a linear power supply, transformer, Qspeed Rectifiers capacitor filter CLCRC, LM317 Tracking Pre Reg TPR2 from Avondale simple but much better than the wallwart that it came with

Young Dac power supply by Alan Towell, on Flickr
Young Dac power supply 2 by Alan Towell, on Flickr

HTPC 1 by Alan Towell, on Flickr
HTPC 6 by Alan Towell, on Flickr

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Mogami 2330 is small diameter shielded coax cable nonetheless. Absolutely compatible with the mentioned general recommendation. Most coax will have 100-120pF per meter. There are some low capacitance types like half that figure but usually thick and difficult to use bends inside a box. More suitable for long interconnects. Inbox runs here are relatively short, no worries.

Dcstb was designed together with the dcg3.
If you like more or not ultrabib,may be system dependent.
As for input selector,salas i select is working absolutely free of noise and problems.
The pot is something that needs your attention,just put the best you can...

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi Salas,
so normally the DCG3 comes with DCGSTB PSU. Will the BIB or the like sonically be
better? Or did you auditioned any difference? And what about input selector? Just a
rotary switch or something with relays?
Greetings

Hi, DCSTB is clean, even, and efficient with DCG3, if you want to keep it that neutral use a good switcher pot, if going after a more organic result put a TKD 2CP-2511 20K Log. Also use BC327-40 for Q1 Q2. By the way, DCSTB is already dual mono as it comes.

If you go dual mono shunts its a much more heated solution demanding good sinking and chassis floor real estate too, usually brings even more impressive bass and upper bass resolve in this but it also may come across heavy in some systems. If so happens it may push you to resort in passive parts tonal offset tuning experiments on the shunts. Electrolytics mainly.

All in all a much more involved and bit experimental down to taste affair.