Salas DCG3 preamp (line & headphone)

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
20V or 24V AC its OK electrically, even better subjectively, but with the higher AC the more dissipation on the DCSTB's sinks. The series pass MJE BJTs dissipate (rawDC-VoDC)*Load_mA. With 20V secondaries and 150mA biased DCG3 they should be dissipating around 1.5W each when idling. Or 2.25W with 24V AC.

Get the 2 inch high Wakefield 647-20ABPE sinks instead of the BOM's 1.5 inch model. There is a 2.5 inch one also, for a box with tall ceiling, the 647-25ABPE.

567-647-25abpe_SPL.jpg

20V or 24V AC its OK electrically, even better subjectively, but with the higher AC the more dissipation on the DCSTB's sinks. The series pass MJE BJTs dissipate (rawDC-VoDC)*Load_mA. With 20V secondaries and 150mA biased DCG3 they should be dissipating around 1.5W each when idling. Or 2.25W with 24V AC.

Get the 2 inch high Wakefield 647-20ABPE sinks instead of the BOM's 1.5 inch model. There is a 2.5 inch one also, for a box with tall ceiling, the 647-25ABPE.

567-647-25abpe_SPL.jpg

I ordered the 2.5", I have just enough chassis height. Going with 24v secondaries, because that is what I have.

Making music. Okay, the twin PSU setup is a huge upgrade in all areas.

The biggest thing I notice with fully dual mono PSU:

1. A huge expansion of the sound stage leading to better separation. Much clearer defined elements, which now float properly and propagate very dynamically. For example, Jazz ensemble elements appear powerfully and fade with wonderful sustain, like a bright image exploding into view, then dissapear into the darkness, leaving the burned image in minds eye.

2. Pace. Much better tempo accuracy (people mistakenly refer to these as different things, at least in the music world they are not). I now hear proper tempo out of various recordings. There are many times in recordings we hear something that is just way too fast. We think “is that the recording or my equipment?” What usually is going on is a sample rate mismatch.

I think in my case, it’s simply a case that there’s better leading edge attack, and more dynamism. Hence, just proper tempo.

3. Tone: Everything is a bit softer. Beautifully warm. I hate to use the term tube-like because I’ve got plenty of tubes that aren’t warm at all: tragically, some are lumpy on the bottom and screech on top.

4. Primary elements: whether they be vocal, or instrumental, primary elements are very well fleshed out. Nothing hides in the recording. Not bright, just very illuminated.

Anyway, those are my quick assessments. Now I can try this setup with my other preamp boards. What an awesome power supply.

With the bc-327 mod (my one caveat), the DCG3 with the DCSTB is really, really good.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Making music. Okay, the twin PSU setup is a huge upgrade in all areas.

The biggest thing I notice with fully dual mono PSU:

1. A huge expansion of the sound stage leading to better separation. Much clearer defined elements, which now float properly and propagate very dynamically. For example, Jazz ensemble elements appear powerfully and fade with wonderful sustain, like a bright image exploding into view, then dissapear into the darkness, leaving the burned image in minds eye.

2. Pace. Much better tempo accuracy (people mistakenly refer to these as different things, at least in the music world they are not). I now hear proper tempo out of various recordings. There are many times in recordings we hear something that is just way too fast. We think “is that the recording or my equipment?” What usually is going on is a sample rate mismatch.

I think in my case, it’s simply a case that there’s better leading edge attack, and more dynamism. Hence, just proper tempo.

3. Tone: Everything is a bit softer. Beautifully warm. I hate to use the term tube-like because I’ve got plenty of tubes that aren’t warm at all: tragically, some are lumpy on the bottom and screech on top.

4. Primary elements: whether they be vocal, or instrumental, primary elements are very well fleshed out. Nothing hides in the recording. Not bright, just very illuminated.

Anyway, those are my quick assessments. Now I can try this setup with my other preamp boards. What an awesome power supply.

With the bc-327 mod (my one caveat), the DCG3 with the DCSTB is really, really good.

I had developed those two as a combo pre+psu to make the builder's life easier for plug & play dual mono. I tuned them together. Nice that you like the tuning. Hey where is the all lit up money shot? :D

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi Salas,

I'm using the DCG3 with DCSTB, 2 transformers with 2x18V, each 50 watt. Bias is 150mA, headphone impedance 250 ohm.

Is it possible to use only 1 transformer with 50 watt without losing sound quality? The power of one 50 watt transformer must be enough I think.

Hi

Do you mean one new custom 50VA transformer of double three wire 18V secondaries? If you mean just 18-0-18 it can't be shared, you will have to downgrade in mono DCSTB.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
OK, I got it. So a transformer with double three wire (each 25 watt) will be OK?

Yeah sorta... Do we settle on single core of 40+40W triple wires? An 80W core is not much wider than a 50W one. There are taller core types than too wider.

P.S.
Is it a matter of box floor space? Can't you stack your now transformers one up the other?

Is it a matter of box floor space? Can't you stack your now transformers one up the other?

Yes, I'd like to change the ladder volume control to a muses 72320 and I don't have enough space in front. I don't want to use a cabinet with another form factor due to the dac which has the same cabinet (see photos)

Perhaps it's useful to disassamble the amp and play a kind of puzzle to see how it will work out.

Attachments

• 1-2.jpg
    1-2.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 572
  • 3-2.jpg
    3-2.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 605
  • P8230008.jpg
    P8230008.jpg
    306.6 KB · Views: 567
BC327-40 and listening impression

I would like to try the BC-327-40 mod on my DCG3. There are several brands like On-Semi, Diotec, CDIL, and others. From brand is preferable for the DCG3?

My DCG3 servers me now as a new pre since a few months (I had the BA3-B before), and also as headphone amp. At the moment I can't close the preamp's lid, because the transformer which I had is a 600VA with extra big core... It sounds really fine, it is extremely detailed, paints an exact room both in depth and width, and has a very nice, beautiful timing for the music.
I'm missing a little touch of more sweetness, which I hope to get with the BC327-40. But even without it, it is the best preamp I had in my system and which I listened to for a few hours.
For me, its faster pace and bigger, exact room, compensates a bit the lushness of the BA3-b. (I tuned the BA-3b to have -- when I remember correctly -- 15 or 20dB more second harmonics than third (but then the second is canceled by the balanced approach).

I have a Sennheiser HD545 II for something around 25 years, and since two years a HD580, and now a Beyerdynamic DT 1770. I don't have any experience on headphone amps to write home about.
But it is the best experience I had upto now in this regards. My DCG3 with a bias of something like 160mA has plenty of power for the 250/300 Ohm headphones, and it helps to produce the music effortless and clear without cutting any frequency band. Short: I love it! It's very easy to operate, and fulfills the two tasks (pre amp and headphone amp) in one case beautifully!
Thank you Nick and all the other involved in making it happen!

Kind regards,
Matthias

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hello Matthias and thanks for your good words. After some months of living with it they carry special weight. The test of time is the hardest.

The BC327-40 mod is probably for you the way you describe your preferences. I personally have used the Diotec brand (Headquartered in Germany).

Hello Nick,

thanks for the rapid reply and thank you for the recommendation! I'll see how I can get them as quick as possible (and not so expensive) to Brazil!
Are 100 enough, or, should I get 200 for 2 or 3 versions of DCG3s?

Yes, the test of time is the hardest, also for my preferred audio equipment! Again, congratulation for the DCG3! It sounds great, ah, and I LOVE the LED bars! It draws my attention magically!