RPi streamer for dummies

Hi folks, I really fancied the idea of using a PI as a headless streamer and foolishly thought it was something a computer illiterate like myself could set up. I got a Pi 4b and flashed the moode OS onto an SD card which I successfully plugged in and powered up....i think....and that's as far as i can go I'm afraid. I can't work out how to connect my android tablet to the pi even after reading numerous guides..they make it seem like the easy part too....I now have a splitting headache.

Anyway before I give up completely, is there a guide that non programmers like me could possibly comprehend?
Or is there another OS I could install with real instructions that make sense and that you don't need a degree in computer science to get working?
Or should I just cut my losses now and save for something plug and play because the more I read the more confused I get.

After reading through pi core player instructions only one thing became clear, that this is beyond me. I was under the impression that a pi could be used as a headless streamer but googling the issue just shows me I'm far from alone. I had no idea putting together a simple step by step how to guide was such a difficult thing to do.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Why do you want to connect the Raspberry to a Tablet?

Your Android table will connect to a number of DACs with a simple USB-OTG cable. Use the Tablet as the streamer.

Alternatively, use the Raspberry as the streamer with a number of DACs...

There are lots of software around... I use the Tidal application in my Android devices and even a Chrome OS chromebook.

I've been playing with the Raspberry, using foobar and the like.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
What did you use to put the Moode image on the SD card? I use Raspberry Pi Imager. It can download and burn to SD the latest Moode image. When you're selecting the OS, look for Media Player OS click on it and choose Moode.

As part of the burning the SD card you can set the WiFi SSID+pwd you want the pi to connect to and hostname for the Pi itself, you can also enable SSH. Then it's a question of typing the hostname in a browser somewhere to connect.

Once you're connected to Moode the configuration is relatively straightforward and all done through Moode's WEB interface...

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2010
Paid Member
If you got ssh running, you can always connect via remote terminal, Putty with a local xterm server, etc... Setting that up is very easy in Raspbian, you don't need a special distribution.

I assume then you want to use the tablet as remote control while the Raspberry is the actual streamer/DAC set up?

I used the raspberry pi imager to etch the moode image. I got another ethernet cable but no good, nothing happens when I connect it to my old laptop. My newer one doesn't have an ethernet port. I can't believe the hours I've wasted on this now. Both the green and red LEDs are lit constantly on the pi. Its probably a faulty board.
Thanks for the suggestions folks but I'm cutting my losses. I'll save for a decent portable dap because I want a useable music player that doesn't rely on or involve endless hassle with windows, apple or android.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
nothing happens when I connect it to my old laptop
When you connect the pi to your laptop with the ethernet cable?

That's not how to do it as a rule. Ethernet cable goes into a router. Or the pi connects to your wireless network.

Then you plug the pi into your dac via usb. Or into something that'll take audio from HDMI. Or use a pi hat that's a dac and plug that into an amplifier.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
True.

To use ethernet to connect two devices, use a "crossover cable".

Otherwise just get a cheap ethernet switch.

Most tablets don't have a wired connection, so you need an 801.11xx ( WiFi ) interface.

Chez moi, the entire house is wired for ethernet... but I got two WiFi "routers" configured as "access points" so anything plugged or wirelessly connected to the LAN can see each other.

Many of the WiFi "routers" also incorporate a built in wired ethernet switch, so that becomes an all in one.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
How are you trying to connect it to your laptop? You don’t connect the pi to your laptop. You connect the pi (and your laptop) to your router. Then you determine the ip address assigned to the pi by the router and log into that address from the laptop.

Switch. It's not a router, it's a switch. Operates at Layer 2 -the datalink- not the Layer 3 -network.

You still need have a console interface to the Pi to find out its IP address. ( IPADDR ).

Go into a shell and type:

ifconfig

That will show you the networking interface configuration, including the IP address.

Normally, I don't use dynamic IP for anything that is wired... so I configure them with static IP addresses. I only allow dynamic IP addressing for the wireless devices.

192.168.0.0 to 192.168.0.128 are wired
192.168.0.120 to 192.168.0.240 are reserved for wireless dynamic
192.168..0.240 to 192.168.0.254 are reserved for switches, router, cable modem, NASs, gateways.

The issue with dynamic IP addresses is that they have a Time To Live, I keep mine at 24 hours. The issue though is that when you are logged into a device that runs as a server of sorts, you run the risk that its IP address will change and the client will drop the connection. Unless you take additional steps to map MAC addresses to a specific IPADDR, so the IP Address of those devices becomes "sort of" static. Which is actually a very good thing as it really clamps down on people hacking into your wireless system.

So, always make your Raspberry use a Static IP address and run on ethernet and then let your wireless devices use dynamic IP addresses.

I suggest you explore networking and Unix if you are going to play with Raspberries.

It is, after all, a DIY site.

Last edited:
I have used Volumio v2.xx as well for a long time. Put Volumio on your SD card as you have done with Moode and start up the Pi (will take a bit more than a minute). Having both LEDs lit on the Pi is normally a sign that everything is fine.

Once ready, the Pi will then broadcast a wireless network called "Volumio" (with a standard password) which you can join from the tablet and use to set up Volumio for the first time. Included in the setup is also connecting it to a regular wireless network, music libraries etc.

Once that is done, you can connect to Volumio from a web-browser on any device that is connected to the same network as the Pi, which makes navigation much easier if you have multiple devices.

I can't work out how to connect my android tablet to the pi
There seems to be a bit of confusion in this thread, but I think this sentence is your real problem, and it’s a difficulty people run into on Android. You need to connect to Moode on the Pi through the web browser on your tablet, but I’m guessing that typing ‘moode.local’ into the address bar fails. This is a problem with a lot of Android installs, and the only solution is to find out the IP address your switch has assigned to the Pi.

Most domestic internet uses a combined switch/router provided by your internet provider. You will be able to access the setup pages for your switch by typing a specific address into your web browser, check the documentation you got when they sent it to you. Once you’re in the router’s admin pages you will have to look around for a page that lists devices connected to the router (the specifics for this vary between devices). Find your Pi’s IP number and then type that into the browser on your tablet (I.e. http://192.168.xx.xx). That will get you to the front page of moode on the Pi.

I’d recommend sticking with moode, it’s pretty much a flash-and-go solution. I personally use piCorePlayer myself because I need gapless aac playback. But pCP is a lot harder to setup, and I wouldn’t recommend it for anyone without reasonable experience with Linux.