RPi streamer for dummies

Contrary to some discouraging posts here, the Pi works just fine as a music player and does not require much computer knowledge, so hang in there. Just to start with the basics, which I haven't necessarily seen completely spelled out here. Also, I have been using Moode, not Volume, so things may be a bit different.

First, a web interface served up by the player is the main way to interact with the Pi. As someone else mentioned, you may need to use the LAN cable to setup the wireless network, assign a name, password, etc., but after that, it's through its WiFi network on your tablet. You can access the Pi in terminal mode, of course, but just to make changes to the software, change some deeply hidden settings, etc. But not to play music. The fact that you're seeing the files and it acts like it's playing music means you've got that far.

In Moode, at least, each different DAC hat type has a specific setting that must be selected in the Configure–>Audio settings. I assume there must be something similar in Volumio. This is one reason why everything else could seem to be working, yet no music is coming out. It's puzzling that you had sounds coming out, then they stopped. Have you tried hooking up to the audio output on the Pi itself? It's obviously not of terrifically high quality, but it might tell you something if you get music there, but not through the DAC hat.

Stick with it. These are very handy, sound really good and are inexpensive enough to have several for different purposes. And you will learn something.

Looks like you have two different connections (wired and wireless), which is why you get two different IPs. Only the top top connection shows as "connected" though. When you set up Volumio in hotspot mode, did you connect it to your wifi? Did you change the tablet's connection back to the wifi network or is it still connecting to the hotspot (it shouldn't)?.

Once you can reach Volumio via your normal network connection (or even in hotspot mode), go into the settings and check that the USB DAC is showing as the output source and that the volume isn't turned down - that should be enough to get you audio.

Thanks buddy but I think this board is faulty. I did the setup first time around no problem. Logged it into my network, got it to recognise my DAC ok etc but it's just not working wirelessly. The pi case might be blocking it's wireless signal but it shows up ok on my hub manager, it just won't let me connect a tablet or my laptop via the WiFi. Any attempts just time out....and now it's own hotspot has stopped working. Think I'm beat to be honest.

I think it prioritises the network with the best connection and if you look at the screenshots you posted you can see that only the wired connection is active. The wireless connection has been active (because it got an IP) but isn't any longer. Several things you can still do, restart, wait 2 mins to ensure it is booted up, check whether the hotspot network reappears etc. If the case is metal it may also degrade the signal, so the wired connection might be better and more stable. When the board it is running, you should be able to connect to it via volumio.local or the IP address as described above.

Reactions: 1 user
Looks like you have two different connections (wired and wireless), which is why you get two different IPs. Only the top top connection shows as "connected" though. When you set up Volumio in hotspot mode, did you connect it to your wifi? Did you change the tablet's connection back to the wifi network or is it still connecting to the hotspot (it shouldn't)?.

Once you can reach Volumio via your normal network connection (or even in hotspot mode), go into the settings and check that the USB DAC is showing as the output source and that the volume isn't turned down - that should be enough to get you audio.
I set up volumio in hotspot mode and inputted my wireless network details ok. Its no longer able to connect via the hotspot. With it plugged into the hub I ran through the setup again but everything appears fine. My DAC shows up ok and the volume bar is almost max.
It works with a wired connection but it's no use to me stuck in the back of a closet out by the front door. I can't sit on the hall floor with my headphones on lol. It is useless as a headless device without wifi.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
The raspberry pi (weak) wireless should work fine if it’s close enough to a wireless access point and not in a metal enclosure. If it worked once, then it’s probably not faulty, just reset the wireless settings and try again.

Since I need a wireless access point in the room with the raspberry pi I just connected it up with Ethernet.

I think it prioritises the network .... If the case is metal it may also degrade the signal, so the wired connection might be better and more stable. When the board it is running, you should be able to connect to it via volumio.local or the IP address as described above.

The Pi has an alloy finned cooling case and from what you say that's probably what is causing the wireless issues. I need the Pi to be in my living room which is about 20 feet away from the hub through two closed doors. They put the fibre box in with the electricity meter when they built this place, its not handy.

Reading through all this-- I think I'll stick with my iPod. You see, I'm just a computer USER, I don't care about software. Especially after being 65 years-old and not dealing with computers until I was in my early 30s.

In those 65 years, and half of that time being a mechanical engineer, I have tried them all. BASIC, Fortran 76, C, C+, C++, MatLab, virtually every CAD/CAM software ever invented. Did I tell you I hate coding? No offense to anyone, but I hate sitting on my **** writing code. I would rather stick needles in my eyes.

But, I don't like that I have spent thousands of dollars on Apple Music, only to have my music files deleted or moved around whenever Apple updates their software. Not going to spend time on the phone or internet trying resolve where my music went at $1 per song. I have an Apple iPod with old version of software and a 2008 Mac Book Pro with the same old software. Same old moans, same old groans. Never automatically synchronize when attaching the iPod to the laptop. Ever.

One day, that iPod will die. In preparing for that day, I have used Spotify, YouTube and a few others that I can't remember. Ran into the issue where music was flaky, lagging, shitty. Apple said it was internet service and ISP said it was Apple. Don't want to go back to any of them anymore. I read most of these posts on this thread (these words were like speaking Greek to me a few years back), hoping that there was something out there, music streamer, Raspberry Pi- whatever.

No, I don't want to learn anymore software. I just want to listen to music, and pray that the iPod lives a few more years. Before it dies, I hope to transfer all my electronic files to some device that will play the music without me having to be concerned what type file it is and what UNIX command I need to learn, what devices to connect, while all the while remembering that I can take a LP out of its cover and listen to some great music.

Adress assignment: Not DHCP
In the setup of volumio you have to give volumio a static ip-adress. No dhcp. Forget the hotspot!
Bildschirmfoto_2024-04-13_18-18-08.jpg

Last edited:
Joined 2019
Paid Member
There's a reason there's a market for a complete system. Some people just don't like this sort of stuff and would rather just spend a bit of money on something that just works.

I run Moode headless and have had no issues using raspi imager to burn Moode SD cards. I would be wary of just powering the pi off at the PSU, and always use the power off that the player UI provides. SD card corruption on sudden power off is rare, but it can happen...

You should also be able to use the pi from both wired and wireless simultaneously. I do for several applications without trouble. It may be that volumio is only making itself available on one IP. Unplug ethernet cable and reboot the pi.

A metal case might interfere with WiFi but I have them on my pi4b and they're ok so YMMV, but I'd expect WiFi to be ok. Try it without the case.

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Reading through all this-- I think I'll stick with my iPod. You see, I'm just a computer USER, I don't care about software. Especially after being 65 years-old and not dealing with computers until I was in my early 30s.

In those 65 years, and half of that time being a mechanical engineer, I have tried them all. BASIC, Fortran 76, C, C+, C++, MatLab, virtually every CAD/CAM software ever invented. Did I tell you I hate coding? No offense to anyone, but I hate sitting on my **** writing code. I would rather stick needles in my eyes.

But, I don't like that I have spent thousands of dollars on Apple Music, only to have my music files deleted or moved around whenever Apple updates their software. ....

No, I don't want to learn anymore software. I just want to listen to music, and pray that the iPod lives a few more years. Before it dies, I hope to transfer all my electronic files to some device that will play the music without me having to be concerned what type file it is and what UNIX command I need to learn, what devices to connect, while all the while remembering that I can take a LP out of its cover and listen to some great music.

Many of you conflate the use of the Command Line Interface (CLI) console as if you were "programming".... not close by a 100 country miles!

I'm 65, been doing firmware since college days. Love it.

Was doing "internetworking" when we called it DARPAnet. Before we had that Web and while AOL was still doing their ALL caps in their own little world.

Apple?

Let me tell you a joke we have.

If airlines were like Windows, the plane would look awesome, the crews and facilities would be top notch, the plane would take off on time and when it got to 40,000 feet, sometimes it would blow up

If airlines were like Apple, the plane would look awesome, the crews and facilities would be top notch, they'd take off on time... but if you asked how it all worked they'd kick off the flight. Without a parachute.

If airlines were like Unix, the passengers and crew would bring the parts to the plane and they'd build it right by the gate.

Programming, NOT CODING -I hate that word and its implications- is the art of organizing your thoughts into some logic that can be "programmed". Back in the old days, when I started this, it was usually a single thread with subroutines, conditional statements and hardware IO... remember the old Peek and Poke? If you're an engineer it should come easy to you.

Nowadays it's far more complex, with multi threaded/process/core/processors, etc... with parallel and sequential designs, etc...

Yet, through all of this, UNIX and its variants, have stayed very relevant... because it's inherently a simple, very extensible operating system. It even has extensions for real time operation.

The Raspberry is a teaching computer... put together with some incredibly good foresight: features, cost, extensibility, etc.. Learning how to use it will open up an understanding of how computers work and will likely change your attitude towards Programming.

Until then, you're indeed a user... and the High End depends on people like you that will spend 5000 bucks on a "streamer".... And Apple, like Tidal, hashes the music files.

Perhaps what you need is to look at an Android tablet or a PC with a nice AD/DAC. Connect the iPad ( or whatever you use to play the Apple stuff) and then connected into the AD/DAC.... and start recording it at 24/96 with the AD, store the files as lossless WAV... later, if you want to use metadata you can transfer them to some FLAC format.