Rogers LS3/5a

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The wire covers are removable. When i was restoring Dmetri’s Rogers, i traded a guy working tweeters for a set of dead HF2000, they came off easily and application to the fresh T27s worked well.

dave
What non corrosive glue do you suggest for their re-application? Falcon also sells replacements in case of need. LS3/5a T27 Grilles Pairs

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Dave did you ever hear the Tangent RS-2 back in the day? That was another British model also with T-27 that I remember for midrange rightness and clarity. Although bigger in size it was managing this well. It had an eight inch bextrene cone Audax woofer.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Oh yes. We were one of, if not the largest, Tangent dealer in Canada. John Greenbank came visit us a number of times. I have a story about RS-4, Bryston 4B, a room full of acrid smoke from the square vent, quick repair, 15 min late rwe were in business

I had RS4 and RS8. The latter was near the end when they were stretching and was never fully baked.

A friend still has RS6. I redid his grills, the Rogers got the grills redone with Tygan with his old torn cloth.

I expect that if you find a set used, the value eof the parts far exceed what i have seen them sell for.

dave

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Some British speakers of that era had undersized resistors on crossover boards installed in touch with foam pads insulation. When abused they could even set the insulation on fire. The LS3/5a itself also had a hot resistor in some dodgy place. Belongs to an RC branch parallel to the tweeter.

Indeed. Therein technically lies a story, because the original cabinets had screwed on front & back panels. The almost worshipped (ye gods) early prototype pair that's occasionally wheeled out for adulation and regarded by fans as perhaps the 'best' pair in existence was one of those. Er -two of those. You get the idea. It's interesting that the reproduction boxes when available, or complete speakers that have generally been liked the most, have also usually been of that construction. Slightly different structural resonance perhaps, but my money is that they had slightly higher losses, dropping Q a touch. IIRC fully sealed & damped, it's 1.1, but that will drop as Dave says to 1 or just below if there's a bit of unintended additional pressure-bleed going on.