Restoring / Modifying Goodmans Magnum K2s Advice Needed

That link looks interesting. Looks like I would probably benefit from a bit of repositioning. I’ll see what I can come up with.

By the way, there may be a small delay with those final photos. I was going to do the reveal when the spikes and grilles were completed, and just add the stands at a later point but the Mrs and I were talking at length about drilling into an already weakened veneer and weaker than wood chipboard cabinet. Neither of us want to be the one holding the drill when we’ve spent such a lot of energy on the veneer.. and it was probably the hardest things we did. Not because veneers are hard if you know what you’re doing, but because we made so many errors. :eek: since I think the final image will be ruined without the cabinets feet on, we’re going to get cracking and build the stands then show the whole lot.

The stands were originally going to be knocked up out of timber and whatever board we had in the shed already and make it look nice with stain or something. Average respectable job. We now seem to have gone down the “good quality reclaimed wood” rabbit hole and copious amounts of linseed oil I found under the sink. Luckily we have a stash of real wood, some of which may be suitable, and there’s real wood things on freecycle all the time.

It’ll be worth the wait.. I promise ;)

Haha, me neither. I’ve just seen something perfect but it’s on eBay and 5 days left, will have to use the circular saw and belt sander on this one. :idea:

You know I was talking about the caliber of “hifi” on freecycle? Some more plastic stuff just came up, the majority is like this:

2E291AD8-8F89-420A-B676-E730275049C3.jpeg

559B1489-930A-4FB7-AFD5-5EB45FC660B7.jpeg

I’m lucky I saw those Tannoy’s straight away. The guy said he’d had about 10 messages in 3 minutes! That’ll be all the carbooters.

I was offered these two venerable Kenwood units recently for £20 each:

KR-V6060 amp and DP-1100SG player with optical output. Hugely heavy lumps, which is sometimes a good thing.

The CD had a stuck drawer which I fixed. The amp was plain awful, very harsh. Not having a manual I didn't try adjusting the output transistor bias.

Not a bad CD, but didn't sound better than my Rotel RCD-965BX-SE. My current Sony LBT-V901 has an iffy volume control, which sometimes loses a channel. Loose ribbon connector I think, but access is difficult.

I had to turn down the Kenwoods. Not an improvement. The Sony has a simple integrated hybrid power amp circuit, but sounds good. Alas my Rotel RA-931 II amp finally conked out and it was more than a fuse blown.

Attachments

• Kenwood versus Rotel and Sony.jpg
    Kenwood versus Rotel and Sony.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 49
That reminds me - I must clear out the loft! :house:

There's an 'unbranded' plastic CD receiver micro system that's been up there for years.

Not to mention my sister's cast off Technics mini stacking system similar, if not identical, to the one attached.

I'll get those, and all my other items of redundant electronic gear, out of the attic before winter sets in - VCR or set-top box anyone! :)

Anything that still works will be heading for one of the charity shops that accepts electrical goods - Barnardo's come to mind.

Attachments

• Technics HD-350.jpg
    Technics HD-350.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 44
The new £320 Rotel T11 tuner has a lot of fresh air inside:

T11 | Rotel
DAB/FM tuners are becoming a rare breed these days.

The industry just expects us all to listen to radio over the internet!

Well, not me! I've just future-proofed my ability to listen to radio over the airwaves, as well as continuing to play my CDs, by purchasing a Denon RCDM-41DAB to replace my old Yamaha CRZ-M170 which is slowly dying!

Denon D-M41DAB review | What Hi-Fi?

I thought I'd better buy it now before this type of unit disappears off the market in favour of its now popular internet radio/streaming counterparts.

As a nod to modernity, the Denon has a bluetooth receiver - whatever that is! :D

Anything Ancient Denon/Sony/Pioneer/Rotel is a good investment, especially on build quality. IMO.

But the art has advanced. More is integrated on single chips. I had my Rotel RT-950BX FM/AM tuner apart last night.

Much less fresh air than the current FM/DAB+ T11:

T11 | Rotel

Naturally I spotted a twin NE5532AN opamp at the output coupled by slightly dubious Nichicon polars. A Big Toshiba PLL chip. An agricultural but highly competent AM section on the right. Actually does the business still. I get the FM stations (88-108 Mhz), and MW for Radio5Live and Talksport in much better quality than DAB.

DAB and DAB+ (220 Mhz) is problematic IMO. Never get a good signal. Gone are the days of good 4 element attic or rooftop aerials. This is a backward step. Those FM ribbons aren't much good for noise. Still a keen fan of "The Wireless" down in my den.

Attachments

• Rotel RT-950BX.jpg
    Rotel RT-950BX.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 60
  • NelsonAngry.JPG
    NelsonAngry.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 153
Joined 2014
Paid Member
I knew there would be hocus-pocus and hand waving when I saw the Cardas name on that link.

Oooh...Golden Rectangles!!!

The best thing you can do in a super-symmetric room is introduce asymmetry, both for speaker and listener.

Irregularity is the enemy of the standing wave.

Returning to the "Fantastic Plastic"! :cheerful:

My sister bought the Technics mini separates system I mentioned earlier on my advice. Each individual unit boasts a brushed aluminium fascia and the combination makes a more than decent sound.

When her new partner came along, he replaced the Technics with a shiny black plastic blob of unknown manufacture which he had bought from a TV shopping channel! :eek:

When shown this new acquisition, I simply raised an eyebrow and proceeded to load the Technics into my car.

I didn't ask to hear the shiny black plastic blob play. All that seemed to matter to the pair was that it fitted neatly on the shelf under the TV!

There, I'm glad I got that off my chest! :D

Attachments

• Technics HD-350.jpg
    Technics HD-350.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 41
@Galu, I still have a VCR in the loft. Don’t want to get rid of it until I have transferred all the family videos from yesteryear to digital!

@system7 Amps also rarely come up on Freecycle. Plenty of cassette decks and turntables. There was a Cambridge Audio A1 a while back but it was 28 miles away. Without knowing the condition of it, it wasn’t worth the risk. It’d be nice to invest in another amp for these Goodmans. Would the RA-931 II be your pick?

An update on these Goodmans:

More foam around the bass drivers is the winner. That and continued run in time has improved the bass no end. I also reduced the mid attenuating resistor to 1R. This has really helped too. With one thing or another, these do not sound the same as they did a week ago. :)

Waiting nervously in the hope I win the solid wood items on eBay to build the stands. Although they sound pretty good on the floor now, and with the bass dial at 5 past - not 25 past (max)!

Last edited:
Oh. I’ve done my usual and posted without refreshing. Then I’ve noticed additional replies, apologies I wasn’t ignoring you @boswald thanks for the info!

@Galu, I think you got a good deal walking away with the technics! I used to have a really nice technics stack and it was stolen :-( it was similar to this: Technics Stereo HiFi Stack System - Amp, CD, Tuner, Cassette, Turntable | eBay I miss it a lot.

Yes I am much happier. Not sure if a recording on my phone would do it justice, would love to show you guys what it sounds like now.

I didn’t think of the heat/humidity! Didn’t realise that would affect helical scan devices. :-/

@system7 I’ll keep an eye out for any of those brand amps on freecycle. I might get lucky…

Coincidently, I've got the Technics SL-PJ28A compact disc player shown in that stack! :cool:

It's still in use in my Man Cave. When it stopped reading discs a couple of years ago, I cleaned the brushes and commutator of the spindle motor by disconnecting it from the circuit and briefly applying 9V DC in either direction - plus a judicious squirt of contact cleaner!

The Technics hasn't faltered since, and the Denon player I bought to replace it in the event of further failure remains in its box for now.