• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Replace 6SN7 to E88CC on HP amp 90VDC plate capable?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I don't really like that Cary AE1 schematic. 6SN7 with 100k load resistor? Anyway, that Cary AE1 can't work as headphone amp. 6SN7 cathode follower, albeit in parallel, won't properly drive the 50 ohm impedance of HD555.

Other than to make it use all octal tubes, i don't see the point in changing the ECC88 to 6SN7 in your E100. So, if you have no problem with it, i suggest you keep it as it is and use it for your headphone amp.

Are you sure you need that Cary AE1 preamp? Keep in mind that most sources today have enough output level to drive a power amp directly. You may only need an attenuator and channel selector. If you ever need an active preamp, that E100 can work as preamp as well.

Disabled Account
Joined 2013
Thank you for both of you Mr. Ballpencil and Mr. Koonw

I see 3 simulation diagrams of Mr. Koon which consort to Mr. Ballpencil advice.

I have better idea. Due to I plan to build CARY AE-1 Preamp. My headphones are Sennheiser HD555, Momentum over ears, JVC HA-S500, Audio Technica ATH-M50S.

I think these headphones not hard to drive. I plan to do CARY AE-1 as both Pre amp and having headphone out. Can I?

Therefore my E100 Headphone (E88CC 6SA7) is no need to modified because I will focus to build CARY AE-1 to get better sonic instead)

Where to tab the Left and Right signal of the headphone?

Please see schematic diagram.

I am not sure that I am on the right solution to use Cary AE-1 as both preamp and headphone amp?
Here are specs for E100

Specs:

• 16mm CCAW driver
  • 32OHM Impendance
  • 110dB Sensitivity
  • 20-20,000Hz Response (I believe it!)
  • 94dB THD
  • 10Mw Rated and 30mW Max power
  • 125cm Triangle shaped anti-tangle 20-core 6N OFC cable with gold plated 3.5mm plug
I'll try to sim the sch you attached soon and find out.

"Where to tab the Left and Right signal of the headphone?"
You connect the L & R out to a stereo connector for your headphones.

oh I see, that is ok, you can measure again. You can use the simulation software LTSpice from Linear Technology, it is free, together you'll need to download tube model from this diyaudio site. I think LTSpice is very good for most beginner, very easy to drawn schematic diagram, some use the information for presentation directly. It can also export netlist to some common PCB software includes ExpressPCB. So you can get started. Please don't hesitate to ask if any question.

my english is poor sorry I mean which simulations you draw 1 2 3

Which one is best

I don't really like that Cary AE1 schematic. 6SN7 with 100k load resistor? Anyway, that Cary AE1 can't work as headphone amp. 6SN7 cathode follower, albeit in parallel, won't properly drive the 50 ohm impedance of HD555.

Other than to make it use all octal tubes, i don't see the point in changing the ECC88 to 6SN7 in your E100. So, if you have no problem with it, i suggest you keep it as it is and use it for your headphone amp.

Are you sure you need that Cary AE1 preamp? Keep in mind that most sources today have enough output level to drive a power amp directly. You may only need an attenuator and channel selector. If you ever need an active preamp, that E100 can work as preamp as well.
Thank you so much mr ballpencil.

I thought that 6sn7 sound better than e88cc

Now i use 1974 reflektor single wire. I have a lot of famous 6sn7 such as kenrad vt 231 black tubes. I thought it better than reflektor

100k load resistors sound bad?

Disabled Account
Joined 2013
my english is poor sorry I mean which simulations you draw 1 2 3

Which one is best

No problem, 2 is the best, least distortion. Sonic wise you have to hear it.

I just finished sim Cary AE-1. It can be used as preamp with input impedance as low as 1k. It barely will drive 600 ohms hp, and will not drive your 32 ohms E100. So you should be looking for another hp amp that can drive 32 ohms hp.

I just finished sim Cary AE-1. It can be used as preamp with input impedance as low as 1k. It barely will drive 600 ohms hp, and will not drive your 32 ohms E100. So you should be looking for another hp amp that can drive 32 ohms hp.

Can you provide Sim of Cary AE-1? I have download LTspice haha but I can't even add 6SN7 tube symbol even I download .subckt for 6SN7. I need time to learn.

How about it sound character with 100K load resistor? Is it acceptable?

My friend has Power amp & 600 Ohm HP (Beyerdynamic DT880 600ohms) He might interest to use CARY AE-1 as HP amp and Pre amp.

Can you attach CARY AE-1 Simulator? I will open in LTspice. Thank you very much.

Haha i got confused. I thought E100 is the name of the ECC88 6N5P HP amp circuit. Just realized when Koonw pointed out that its a headphone. Sorry and carry on.

HI, Mr. Ball Pencil

Can you suggest resistor value to repalce 100K load for Cary AE-1?

What the best value to be replaced?

I also think that E100 Headphone Amp is Schematic of easy headphone amp using E88CC 6N5P. Just know from you that E100 is the name of Headphone.

When I google I found E100 is just small In Ear $12. I don't think it need amplifier.

Who is the manufacture of E100 headphone. What it look like? Full Size Headphone?

Disabled Account
Joined 2013
Mr. Koonw

Can you just post picture of the simulation of Cary AE-1?

Thank you.

No problem, see attached. As to your question for best load, with output cap fixed @ 2.2u, the maximum load is 47K, anything more than this 47k-1Meg is ok. However if the load is 10k, such as input of solid state amp, the output cap needs to be 10u or more. Also the cap in the feedback is only 0.1u, and this resulted in very deep "virtual" bass due to large phase shift, normally it should be 1u for flat response. The output impedance drops from 150 ohms @ 150hz to 5k @ 20hz.

Attachments

• Cary AE-1 sim-1.png
    Cary AE-1 sim-1.png
    180.2 KB · Views: 142
  • Cary AE-1 sim-2.png
    Cary AE-1 sim-2.png
    229.8 KB · Views: 138
  • Cary AE-1 sim-3.png
    Cary AE-1 sim-3.png
    236.3 KB · Views: 130
  • Cary AE-1 sim-4.png
    Cary AE-1 sim-4.png
    258.1 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
Thank you so much for your kindly help me.

I am very new to audio tube. I just bought PCB and finish it.

From simulation picture that you advice to change 0.1uF400V to 1uF 400, What is the purpose of replace to that value? Better sound?

I decide to keep E100 HP amp as HP amp and build AE-1 to work as Preamp only (no HP out)

I will try to connect this preamp to Solid State Power amp I have Rotel RB-981. I don't know input impedance of RB-981. So I attach schematic of it.

So I will do only change 0.1uF caps to 1uF 400V as attached picture.

Am I correct?

Sorry for some stupid questions. I am very new to this audio world but my hobby is to listen to good sonic.

Thank you so much for your very kindly help. Mr. Koonw & Mr. Ballpencil.

:) :)

Attachments

• Cary AE One 1UF 400V C5.gif
    Cary AE One 1UF 400V C5.gif
    115.1 KB · Views: 339
  • RB-981 Input.gif
    RB-981 Input.gif
    44.5 KB · Views: 137
Disabled Account
Joined 2013
Thank you so much for your kindly help me.

I am very new to audio tube. I just bought PCB and finish it.

From simulation picture that you advice to change 0.1uF400V to 1uF 400, What is the purpose of replace to that value? Better sound?

I decide to keep E100 HP amp as HP amp and build AE-1 to work as Preamp only (no HP out)

I will try to connect this preamp to Solid State Power amp I have Rotel RB-981. I don't know input impedance of RB-981. So I attach schematic of it.

So I will do only change 0.1uF caps to 1uF 400V as attached picture.

Am I correct?

Sorry for some stupid questions. I am very new to this audio world but my hobby is to listen to good sonic.

Thank you so much for your very kindly help. Mr. Koonw & Mr. Ballpencil.

:) :)

Yes you can change 0.1u to 1uf if you prefer real tighter bass over "virtual" bass, it will be quite obvious if you drive a heavy load such as 600 ohms.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.