Reflektor-D builds

Hello i want to start the mods... but i have to be sure that everything is correct.
can someone tell me_
a attached 2 pictures one for the 2 wire mod and one for the fet mod (i don t know the correct position and about the 3 legs)
thks

Attachments

• BWVBTHg.jpg
    BWVBTHg.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 387
  • mI2sjFi.jpg
    mI2sjFi.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 386
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The jumpers for two wire mode look good. The R6 to JFET mod looks good for position but the gate pin must not hang on air, it must be connected to the source pin too. Like this:

Attachments

• 2014-09-18_134506.jpg
    2014-09-18_134506.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 391
  • Reflektor3_2.jpg
    Reflektor3_2.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 394
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Alright, let us know. By the way better don't link but upload your images through the go advanced reply attachments management menu. They did not directly appear before and I fixed them. Plus they will never get lost when third party hosts close business or change rules.

Alright, let us know. By the way better don't link but upload your images through the go advanced reply attachments management menu. They did not directly appear before and I fixed them. Plus they will never get lost when third party hosts close business or change rules.

Hello... i will do that on future images... :) that´s why images don´t appear right away.. only after a while

first impressions on jfet mod:
i did the two boards... digi + pro 3,3 and the dac 5v...
on multimeter with the dummy i read 3.41 and 5.12..i don´t know if is good for the clocks not be the 3.3v... if 3.41 with do any problem for functioning correctly...

the sound:
the sound seems cleaner, more musical and emotional.. music flows naturally with every detail and nuances...
i think is has less sub bass and a little less immediate energy on the strong and fast passages... but i have to listen better..

i think i should compare with passive version but with vishay var... to see what it happens..

but i´m very happy.. i think on the dac board i´m gonna bypass the 3.3v regulator for the cs8416 receiver and digital part of dac... and put another 3.3v refector to that part.. so 5v for the analog vref dac and 3.3 cs8416 a digital side of dac...

what are your subjective opinions on sound ??? passive or jfet? lol:)

Couldn't decide because each was better synergistic to different gear so I passed the decision to the users :D

yes it is difficult to choose.. but with the jfet mod my dac cs4397 (sigma delta) is playing like an r2r dac... everything is so understandable in the music...almost perfect... lol...
i have to mount the other reflectors d boards to feed the ak4497 from diynhk to see how much i was loosing with the other power solutions..

how can i match exactly the volts for the vref??? with the jeft mod??
this reflector board is 5.12v on multimeter with the jfet with the dummy.
how can do the second board with exactly the same output voltage since i ´m going to feed the vref right and vref left channel each one with reflector d boards. it as to be exact right?? otherwise there will be imbalance on the dac output?? i´m thinking wrong?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
how can i match exactly the volts for the vref??? with the jeft mod??

The "Mini & Flexy" little pdf manual has a paragraph on how to predetermine Leds Vf by using your own J2 sample*. That applies in big Ref-D too if you choose the J mod.
I had also posted a step by step practical example of that test's setup along with breadboard photos in reply #707: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/power-supplies/261031-reflektor-builds-71.html#post4710267

*Because the Ref-D Mini has no rectification, no reservoir, no on-board sinks, no Kelvin wiring mode, no R6/j option, so to remain small in size, it uses the J mod only.

Attachments

• Mini & Flexy.pdf
    747.3 KB · Views: 110
Hi Salas!
I am back to your regs. I had four in a shelf, but now I am using them.
I am very happy to see that the linear Mini & Flexy psu accepts 4 pins caps. I remember when TioFrancotirador posted about the layout for 4 pins. I need those linear psu for other projects and I was looking for it when I (accidentally) found the Flexy.
The separate regs are very interesting for me to, because I can use one Flexy with 3 or 4 Minis. Great! Can you please post or send me a PM with the prices for both boards? For Sipping fees, I am in France. I hope there is some availability. Thank you!

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I don't organize GBs myself as you know so I maybe only have one of my own samples right now and I could not have helped you even if it was urgent. You have to ask Tea-Bag. Maybe he has some left overs from last GB? Or when about he thinks doing the next GB?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Resistor bit more noiseless and less open loop gain (control gain), JFET more open loop gain (tighter control) bit more noise because active. But the noise difference is very small, mostly is the control difference. Also the resistor is not reactive (does not have capacitance). More people here find synergy with the JFET and prefer it but some persist in the passive mode (resistor) especially if with very good R6 quality. The one already included is very very good quality but not Z foil level of course. Four wire is also better technically when not exposed to RFI and other noises which it can pick easier than the two wire mode. When the length is short they don't distinguish enough between them though.

Resistor bit more noiseless and less open loop gain (control gain), JFET more open loop gain (tighter control) bit more noise because active. But the noise difference is very small, mostly is the control difference. Also the resistor is not reactive (does not have capacitance). More people here find synergy with the JFET and prefer it but some persist in the passive mode (resistor) especially if with very good R6 quality. The one already included is very very good quality but not Z foil level of course. Four wire is also better technically when not exposed to RFI and other noises which it can pick easier than the two wire mode. When the length is short they don't distinguish enough between them though.
Thanks Salas for your explanation... i 'm going to try vishay var.. to see.