Reflektor-D builds

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Surprise surprise:), going back to CLC scope set 20uS 5 mV/cm: attached pic.

Attachments

• WP_20170615_003[1].jpg
    WP_20170615_003[1].jpg
    370 KB · Views: 414
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
It can if you will use a 0.68R 3W current setting resistor. Better with a 7.5V transformer to save 3W excess heat on the input MOSFET. The 9V typical Tx recommendation is to include a 5V output range in no more than 600mA setting. You will have 900mA CCS and 3.3V Out.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
It would work but for best performance we prefer to have at least 5V DC across this regulator. If your mains are a bit on the plus side usually and you will use Schottky rectifiers which have lower voltage loss you might get away with 7.5V AC for the 5V set regulator also.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Using 9V for both is OK for voltage headroom. Because you ask for strong load current, it will bring 7W dissipation to the IRF9610 in the 3.3V section. Better build the REF-D Mini which is using external sinking. To can sink it better and not worry about saving heat through transformers optimization.

Advice needed!

I've 3 Reflector D for powering my Soekris dam1121 board.
Two 5V with CSS 0.3 (R1 – 2 Om) for powering +-5V R2R ladder. Max current consumption – 50mA, typical – 20mA.
One 5V with CSS 0.6 (R1 – 1 Om) for digital line 5V. Мax current consumption – 350mA, typical – 250mA.

All lines have one common ground point in the vicinity of dam1121. 4 wire connection.

All works fine.

But.
While experimenting with different power supply cards, I’ve noticed some strange and quite big spikes at 150 Hz, 250 Hz (see noise spectrum graf from RMAA 6.4.1 measurement software, output from R2R ladder).
They are quite big comparing with LDO TPS7A4700.

Is it my mistake or feature of Reflector D?

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    144.1 KB · Views: 386
  • Spectrum.png
    Spectrum.png
    6.4 KB · Views: 380
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The white peaks are taller than the green by 5 or 6dB at 50Hz and 250Hz. Same height at 550Hz. Those are common between the reg cards compared powering. The 150Hz is alone to the white. The random noise grass is the same between them. Maybe its the measurement limit or the DAC's limit. Those very low level needles are mains frequency harmonics at around -130dB. Must be what is picked up by the voltage output cabling. Or somewhere else in the whole build. If they were residual of the two regs they would have been based on a 100Hz ripple spike. Try two wire mode too in case its the sense loop picking up. Or try shielded coax for the sense and compare to before and two wire mode. Keep the best looking or the best sounding if you can hear any change because those needles are way too low in dB for directly listenable. But they can imply some general little improvement if battled further (doubtful).

Hello, finally i fisnish one Reflektor for 5v.
rr-2ohm
it´s powering my lampucera board.
the sound is very good (only half an hour playing)... no moods only the stock parts with the resistor r6 in place.
i have more boards.. maybe a try another with different parts..
the sound is very powerfull and clean :) very very good
thank all!!! :)

Attachments

• FLvYS1B.jpg
    FLvYS1B.jpg
    708.7 KB · Views: 312
Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
One question about the wires.
For 2 wire connection i disconnect the sense pins only?
What is the correct gauge?
Tks

You also have to securely short S+ with F+ and 0 with 0 locally at or under the output connector. The shorter the distance to the load the more you can relax the thickness but better don't use less than 1.3mm diameter wires (16 AWG) for 10cm length. That's about 1mΩ contribution. 18 AWG (1mm d) would add about the same mΩ for 5cm length and so on and so forth.