Reflektor-D builds

Reflector-D transformer sharing

Hi here fellow diy'er :)

As i had some accident's, i think i rather ask a few times more, than less!

I am planning to use a transformer with two secundarys (call them A and B)

If you look at the drawing, it is much easier to understand what i am trying to do. -Is it okay this way ?

Regards; Jesper.

Attachments

• Udklip.PNG
    Udklip.PNG
    134.7 KB · Views: 301
I agree with AndrewT.
You should use transformer with 3 secondaries in such case.
Also I would not mix powering I/V (analog) with Xmos (digital) on same 5V line.

However ideally in your case I would use two transformers with two secondaries each and have four reflectors:
One transformer for with two secondaries to power 5V line for xmos and 3.3V line. (digital section)
Second transformer with two secondaries to create -/+5V for I/V. (analog section)

Hello,

I have build a Reflektor D with 1ohm CSS resistor, and I want to power a Beagle Bone Black. With a dummy resistor I have 5,24V and the LED's are lighting fine. If I connect the BBB, the board is working fine, but the Reflektor's LEDS is not working and I have only 4,32V. It is that normal?

Attachments

• 18741301_1302540823132984_1464450471_n.jpg
    18741301_1302540823132984_1464450471_n.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 232
  • 18741711_1302540819799651_2130173072_n.jpg
    18741711_1302540819799651_2130173072_n.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 226
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hello,

I have build a Reflektor D with 1ohm CSS resistor, and I want to power a Beagle Bone Black. With a dummy resistor I have 5,24V and the LED's are lighting fine. If I connect the BBB, the board is working fine, but the Reflektor's LEDS is not working and I have only 4,32V. It is that normal?
No it does not seem normal, indicates current starving in the reg. The BBB must be asking more mA than available. Try a 3.3R across the 1R to boost the current by 200mA more and see.

No it does not seem normal, indicates current starving in the reg. The BBB must be asking more mA than available. Try a 3.3R across the 1R to boost the current by 200mA more and see.

Hello Salas,

You are right, it is a current problem, but I don't understand why. User Palmito used his BBB with the ReflektorD and he reported a power consumtion of about 450mA. Instead of 1ohm I put a 0,75ogm resistor, the LED's are now lighting normally, but from time to time they fade. I measure the current and the average is about ~0,75A with spikes of 0,82A(when the LED are fading). I don't understand why it drains such more power. I have a back-up battery connected to the BBB but I don't think that whill make the power consumtion difference. The odd thing is that the board with the battery connected to the USB port of the computer is working fine, and the USB port should have a maximum 500mA current.

Hello Salas,
I have a question regardings CM in DC Flexy. From what I see in your documentation, you suggest 6800uF for CM, but there are no mention about voltage for CM. If I want to use it to power one Reflektor mini board with output max 450mA, what is your recommend voltage ratings for CM, 25V, 50V or 63V?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hello Salas,

You are right, it is a current problem, but I don't understand why. User Palmito used his BBB with the ReflektorD and he reported a power consumtion of about 450mA. Instead of 1ohm I put a 0,75ogm resistor, the LED's are now lighting normally, but from time to time they fade. I measure the current and the average is about ~0,75A with spikes of 0,82A(when the LED are fading). I don't understand why it drains such more power. I have a back-up battery connected to the BBB but I don't think that whill make the power consumtion difference. The odd thing is that the board with the battery connected to the USB port of the computer is working fine, and the USB port should have a maximum 500mA current.

Hello

I can't answer the BBB conundrum of consumption from no experience with it, maybe remove the battery first to see if it badly interacts with the Ref-D, but when you measure a certain peak current demand its really there and you must set the CCS properly for it. Add another 100mA margin via the setting resistor if nothing changes in the end I would say.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hello Salas,
I have a question regardings CM in DC Flexy. From what I see in your documentation, you suggest 6800uF for CM, but there are no mention about voltage for CM. If I want to use it to power one Reflektor mini board with output max 450mA, what is your recommend voltage ratings for CM, 25V, 50V or 63V?

25V is more than enough but the higher the voltage characteristic in an electrolytic capacitor the better its parameters in general. So if it still fits the mounting dimensions and a price difference is no object for you prefer the higher voltage spec between electrolytics of same brand and type.