QuantAsylum QA400 and QA401

Joined 2004
Paid Member
QA401 vs 1616M-
QA401
Self contained with software
Full differential in up to 20V RMS
Balanced out
Fully isolated from host PC and powered from USB.

1616M
Differential in and balanced out
Max in depends on which input.
4 sets of inputs
Lots of flexibility
Fully isolated from host.
Needs external power supply. I had one fail on me but getting more is not difficult.
Analysis software from someone else

1616M distortion floor can be lower but varies from input to input and unit to unit.
Needs specific hardware interface to host- no USB
Expect to pay $150 to $300 for one.

For mobile use or occasional use the QA401 seems like a nice one stop solution that you can just use. Forr extended researh or daily testing I would go elsewhere. For a repair/production test the QA401 or a complete analyzer (HP, AP etc.) would make the most sense.

However the flexibility of the 1616M will enable me to do a lot of neat stuff on my bench.

I don't have a good single solution or answer of which is best. A lot depends on whats important.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Interesting would be to check how this performs using an asymmetric connection with EMU 1616M Output and AQ401 Input... may with batteries or galvanic USB isolation..

Hp

The QA401 does have full galvanic isolation from USB and gets power from it as well. I think there is some switcher leakage crossing into the analog stuff.

If Matt can get an ASIO interface working (its on the wish list) this could be a useful tool for other applications. It won't replace my Shibasoku but it does not need to.

The QA401 does have full galvanic isolation from USB and gets power from it as well. I think there is some switcher leakage crossing into the analog stuff.

If Matt can get an ASIO interface working (its on the wish list) this could be a useful tool for other applications. It won't replace my Shibasoku but it does not need to.

Try packing your Shibasoku in a briefcase. 17kg.

Sorry...can you detail a little more about Shibasoku analyzer? I never heard of it. Does it have a computer interface with program to execute standard measurements like AP system one for example has?
Could you spend a couple of words telling us what model you are using and what are the main capabilities of that and how it compares to any AP (old or new)?

thanks!

I just ordered a QA401 and first order of business is testing a discrete opamp I have on the bench. What tests can be done with the QA401? The opamp is for general use (including unity gain stable) and for making S-K (and other types of) filters. I would like to use this project to learn about using the QA to validate a design such as this.

Thanks in advance!

However the flexibility of the 1616M will enable me to do a lot of neat stuff on my bench.

What else do you use the 1616m for, on or off your bench?

Regarding opamps, there is a 2122 and a 2082 at the inputs, a 2114 for the headphones, the rest are 2068's. You had mentioned trying out OPA1642s and - a couple years back - 49880s. Do you have any updates and insights into what works better where?

My plans are mostly for measurement but may use it for music as well.

Thanks.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
My 1616m has the JRC 4550s in all the locations. Upgrades are on the roadmap but I have two toasted examples to remind me not to rush. . .

For my bench I can take advantage of the multiple ins and outs. I can route a stereo pair for direct connection. Another stereo pair through my audio analyzer to take advantage of the I/O dynamic range and the isolation as well as looking at the distortion products. And finally the digital audio I/O can be routed to DUT or other digital devices. All using the isolation of the 1616M

I think it would be good for music, especially with opamp upgrades.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Can the QA401 produce THD vs frequency plots like these shown on the QA400 specs page? (QA400 in loopback mode, THD vs frequency at various signal levels)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

If so, it would be great if someone posted similar loopback plots for the QA401.

I need to figure out how that plot was done. I think with an Excel script. I'll attempt it tomorrow night if I'm right.