QuantAsylum QA400 and QA401

How did they come to -110dB? How did they measure it? Seems as an mediocre piece compared to older stuff presented in the equipment thread don't you all think? Still would like to find a way to at least make an universal way to reach +-1dB. At -110dB it is merely a toy!

Regards

How did they come to -110dB? How did they measure it? Seems as an mediocre piece compared to older stuff presented in the equipment thread don't you all think? Still would like to find a way to at least make an universal way to reach +-1dB. At -110dB it is merely a toy!

Regards

Time ran out...

Of course, at some point one have to question every producers figures. At these levels as someones have written all kinds of things might show up in the readings... At the same time it opens up for all kinds of claims. It's as people are trying to argue to find some kind of truth about a color - all blindfolded. Sure - I find you people taking interest reading this as experts on the topic. The only demand I put on you if I could do that is for you to be objective. Maybe -110 is objective and in that case many lower numbers might be fantasies.

Regards

Regards

The obvious way to measure this sort of thing is a loop back test.

110 dB THD+SNR is not hard to believe - my M_Audio AP 24192 and my eMu 0404 equal or best that. The latter being more impressive because of the incidental noise associated with USB.

Time ran out...

Of course, at some point one have to question every producers figures. At these levels as someones have written all kinds of things might show up in the readings... At the same time it opens up for all kinds of claims. It's as people are trying to argue to find some kind of truth about a color - all blindfolded. Sure - I find you people taking interest reading this as experts on the topic. The only demand I put on you if I could do that is for you to be objective. Maybe -110 is objective and in that case many lower numbers might be fantasies.

Regards

When we discuss THD, it is crucial to be clear about whether the number referred to is THD or THD+N. Moreover, it is important to specify the fundamental frequency, e.g., 1kHz or some high frequency like 10kHz, 16kHz or 20kHz.

When discussing THD+N it is also important to be mindful of the residual measurement bandwidth. For example, a sound-card-based THD+N measurement might have its noise bandwidth limited to as little as 20kHz because of sampling limitations.

For example, THD+N at 1kHz of -110dB in an 80kHz residual bandwidth is not really bad for a commercial analyzer. But THD alone of -110dB at 1kHz is not that great, and not difficult to beat.

Cheers,
Bob

When we discuss THD, it is crucial to be clear about whether the number referred to is THD or THD+N. Moreover, it is important to specify the fundamental frequency, e.g., 1kHz or some high frequency like 10kHz, 16kHz or 20kHz.

When discussing THD+N it is also important to be mindful of the residual measurement bandwidth. For example, a sound-card-based THD+N measurement might have its noise bandwidth limited to as little as 20kHz because of sampling limitations.

For example, THD+N at 1kHz of -110dB in an 80kHz residual bandwidth is not really bad for a commercial analyzer. But THD alone of -110dB at 1kHz is not that great, and not difficult to beat.

Cheers,
Bob

Nicely said.

It's easy to lose sight of the details in these numbers and what they actually mean.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I have never got beyond -103 dB THD+N on an EMU0404. Can you post the results of such a test? What parameters were you using? I cannot get loopback readings from an Emu 1212M or 1616M that good. What are you doing and what software?

The -110 dB is a loopback number. I'll check the generator when I get a chance.

I have never got beyond -103 dB THD+N on an EMU0404. Can you post the results of such a test? What parameters were you using? I cannot get loopback readings from an Emu 1212M or 1616M that good. What are you doing and what software?

Can you also put a notch on it and see what you get?

I have never got beyond -103 dB THD+N on an EMU0404. Can you post the results of such a test?

Not setup for that sort of thing right now - I'm in the midst of other projects. Getting my business and house in order in preparation for major surgery and resulting extended stay in the hospital.

What parameters were you using? I cannot get loopback readings from an Emu 1212M or 1616M that good. What are you doing and what software?

Meanwhile, here's someone else's test with similar results:

iXBT Labs - E-MU 0404 USB - Page 2: ASIO diagnostics, objective tests

The link shows tests in 24/96 loopback mode and also using an Lynx Aurora for the other half of the test setup.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
THATS GREAT.... They are beginning to sell! I have the QA400 and several more refined instruments.... but none as small and portable. I have tried Mu0404 etc but they are not as PnP as I like for distortion measurements.

I hope a few more apps get added for acoustic work, later.

THx-RNMarsh

For what its worth I have had a chance to test a prototype and it does meet the specs and works as promised. There are still revisions to the PCB and the software before its ready for production. I have a few changes I may push for if Matt is amenable. However there still is work to do so patience is needed.

Last year there was talk about oscillator upgrade options. Does that appear to still be the case on prototypes?

Wow it looks great fully differential input protected with attenuators and offset adjustable!!
Very nice bargain. I am sure that performance wise can equal emu card if not better it from what I can see. But the battle is off given that this offer great measurement SW included fully differential capabilities and offset adjustable feature etc etc!
I am definitely going to purchase this.
Regarding inverse RIAA function I still don't get what's the problem to have SW filter in a 24bit system. It offers plenty resolution to see accurate results.
Analog filter is not a good method, for one thing accuracy of filter is very debatable and beside this the input output impedance marching requirements add further imprecision to your measurements.
For my vslidations I measure in and out signal with precision meter and plot it on spreadsheet. But I got to say inverse RIAA capabilities at least for a good way to quick check curve would be highly desirable and given this is designed for audio application I think it is a feature that would make sense to include.
If measuring system has enough low level noise then it should be capable of work out RIAA response.

I just checked again for curiosity on my phone, which I can only see product page and no drop down menu, and still I don't see it there!!! I just don't understand what's going on with this product! Are they officially selling it or not?

It is there on the drop down list.
It could be your phone is not displaying the drop down list.
It's on the home page under products.

a screen grab:

Attachments

• QA401_screengrab.jpg
    QA401_screengrab.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 313