QuantAsylum QA400 and QA401

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yes, it is synchronous averaging. It only works with the internal source at this time. I have tried it and its interesting to watch. A really clean low distortion plot just slowly dissolves into a forest of spurs you did not know was there.

You need to make a file called experimental (no extension) and put it in your equivalent of: C:\Users\Demian\Documents\QuantAsylum\QA400

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I just installed the prerelease 1.052 and noticed that I got a lot of link 'Drop' flashes, and the acquision doesn't work.
The official release 1.00 works fine.
I'm on an Intel i3, W7/64b machine.
It seems from the Help|About in 1.052 that that version is not compiled for 64bit OS's.
Anybody had the same experience?

jan

I have tried it out on my Windows 7, 64 bit machine also and overall it seems to work fine. The only area where I get not quite perfect operation is when I am set for 48khz and 65k resolution. On both my Windows 7 desktop and my XP laptop, the red link light will flash off between samples and the interface bogs down.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Funny enough if you look at Help|About both version 1.00 and 1.052 report that they operate as a 32bit version while my W7 is a 64bit machine.

I also noted that I can improve performance by moving to another USB port that is connected to another USB bridge, that has no other devices attached.

Anyway, I have a i5 machine with more performance and hi speed USB (2.0 and 3.0) on order so I hope that then it will be totally stable.

jan

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Funny enough if you look at Help|About both version 1.00 and 1.052 report that they operate as a 32bit version while my W7 is a 64bit machine.

I also noted that I can improve performance by moving to another USB port that is connected to another USB bridge, that has no other devices attached.

Anyway, I have a i5 machine with more performance and hi speed USB (2.0 and 3.0) on order so I hope that then it will be totally stable.

jan

You would think we were quibbling about USB audio or something. . .

Some USB ports hubs and interfaces work better than others. And newer chipsets work better.My laptop has an Intel chipset for everything. I have a big desktop I can test with that is AMD based. I'll try it with that system.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I just installed the prerelease 1.052 and noticed that I got a lot of link 'Drop' flashes, and the acquision doesn't work.
The official release 1.00 works fine.
I'm on an Intel i3, W7/64b machine.
It seems from the Help|About in 1.052 that that version is not compiled for 64bit OS's.
Anybody had the same experience?

jan

yes-lots of red light Drop flashes here too.
I have not returned to ver 1.00... i'll try that.

-RNM

Last edited:
Some USB ports hubs and interfaces work better than others. And newer chipsets work better.My laptop has an Intel chipset for everything. I have a big desktop I can test with that is AMD based. I'll try it with that system.

This is very true. However usb2 controllers should be good on most computers/motherboards sold in the last 3 years.
USB3 is a different matter, so I would avoid to use a usb3 port in the first place.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
.... and this is how it looks from the inside.
Neat well organised layout.

jan

Attachments

• P1040222.JPG
    P1040222.JPG
    921.9 KB · Views: 786
  • P1040214.JPG
    P1040214.JPG
    603.5 KB · Views: 741
Joined 2004
Paid Member
QA400 interface update #2

This is the current state of my efforts.

QA400 interface rev0 top.jpg
QA400 interface rev0 bottom.jpg

I have jumpered the gain switches and set for fixed gain. Nominally +16 dB out (approx 7V RMS) and -16 dB in (7V will get 1V at the input of the QA400)

With these settings the loopback gives the performance in the pictures. The output is balanced and can either pin can be shorted to ground with virtually no change in output voltage or distortion (the second harmonic rises). The input is fully differential with very high common mode rejection.

Attachments

• QA400 + QA interface  loopback at 7V ext bal div 10.png
    QA400 + QA interface loopback at 7V ext bal div 10.png
    36 KB · Views: 699
  • QA400 + QA interface  loopback at 7V ext bal div 10 neg grounded.png
    QA400 + QA interface loopback at 7V ext bal div 10 neg grounded.png
    34.5 KB · Views: 680