QA-550 SD card 16/44.1 WAV transport

hi Klaus

sorry about my ignorant. which picture do you referring to?

grounding the trace? i am puzzled. shield them?

thanks
Erwin

The traces are underneath the board.
Scrape off some solder mask at the goundplane next to the vias.
Then do the same close to the I2S output pins.
Now apply liquid-silver from the scraped off groundplane next to the vias
and cover the traces going all the way to the scraped off groundplane at the
I2S pins. Of course, do not get any liquid silver on the vias or on the I2S output pins.
This is just one way to do it but it is very effective and easy.

Klaus

But this is the better way:
At the moment it is just a test setup that's not yet finished.
AD1896 SRC to AK4396 DAC with on board 24Mhz TendClock.
44.1khz via AD1896 to 96khz. I don't use the 1896 only to upsample
but also for it's jitter reduction ability.
All will be fed by LiFePo4 cells and one 5V TeddySuperReg.

Klaus

Attachments

• AD1896-AK4396.JPG
    AD1896-AK4396.JPG
    260.8 KB · Views: 807
Hi,

The original is larger but you can desolder the original, fit a socket, and connect it up easily enough.

The original regulator is ams1117 - its okay but there are many upgrades possible, and I'm using the last part of the Tent circuit shown below.

page20_2.gif

Assume the 7808 is the 7805 already fitted to the qls and then I use 5K and 22K resistors with a 100uF Nichicon PLE cap to drop the voltage from 5 to 3.3V and remove noise.

Instead of the QLS' 7805, I'm actually using an AMB sigma11 with a lm336 voltage ref adjusted to create slightly over 5V and I filter this with a CRC down to 5V for the 150mA load.

Last edited:
hello all/anyone, my first post here. enlightenment required, is it possible to put one of these (Lampizator - Digi Lampizator kit)
on the player. from what i can see it just's takes a feed from a coaxial cable from two pins, one earth and one signal from a chip, am i barking up the wrong tree or does someone know what to do here, i can solder and hard wire but know nowt about where to take the feed from. thanks in advance. jeremy

Hey Guys,

Just thought I'd share my experience so far with the QA550.

Its very hard to describe the improvement without sounding idiotic or way over the top like "lampizator" but ill try.

Imaging has improved, voices sound more defined to their position on the stage but also the detail around the voice/instrument has been extended. Its early days yet to pass judgement as its only been a few days since i installed it, but I'm liking it so far, and my implementation is far from perfect so i can only imagine what improvements will bring with shorter wiring, better power supply, etc.

Currently, as you can see in the attached photo, im using the TDA1541A as my DAC, which is currently installed in my Rotel RCD855 with various mods and the CEN output stage running off lithium batteries(18 - 20 volt range).

I've given myself the option of doing easy A B comparison due to the connector i've used. Ill give it a few weeks then ill go back to the CD transport and by then the change should hit me in the face.

Ill also be doing a comparison with the ESS9023 DAC.

Eventually ill have a complete Transport/DAC...

Ryan

Attachments

• 2012-09-09 20.24.53.jpg
    2012-09-09 20.24.53.jpg
    882 KB · Views: 811
Hi

Here is my QA550 in an enclosure with I2S connection to a TDA1541A DAC and the unbalanced D1 of N.Pass as I/V and buffer.
The sound is great and only my diy Philips PRO2 has a little more detailed sound via I2S and the same DAC.
The value for money of the QA550 is 10/10. I bought it early in 2010, and a year later I made this enclosure as a stand alone SD WAV player.
I changed almost all the PSUs on the board of the QA550 and the TCXO with a 0.3 ppm Nuts Audio. Also the LCD display with a little more bigger and backlighted.
The only lack are the FastForward button and more informations on the display (16x2 or 16x4 size). Maybe the next QA5..?

QLS SDCARD.jpg

QLS.jpg

FRONT.jpg

DAC - TDA1541A.jpg

HEADPHONES.jpg

PSU & I-V D1.jpg

Last edited:
QA660 SD card transport is ready for pre-order at the price of RMB2,280.

QA660ĸ´ø¼¶Êý×ÖתÅÌ/ÎÞËðÒôƵ²¥·ÅÆ÷£¬WAV/APE/FLAC 24bit192K-ÌÔ±¦Íø

But there is only information written in simplified Chinese for the description and specification.

Below are the main points :

1. Support SD / SDHC / SDXC up to 128GB SDXC

2. Support WAV、APE、FLAC、WavPack and MP3

3. 2.8 inch AMOLED colour display with contrast ratio 10000:1

4. Three coaxial output, one optical output, one AES / EBU output and I2S output

5. Support audio file up to 24bit, 192KHz

It will be ready for shipment by late Oct.

images

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Very interesting player, I got some introduction from QLS's web site. It seems some expectations in this thread have been addressed by the new generation.

- A review from Jimmy's Junkyard for the new QA660

The QA-660 master-tape grade digital transport/player is a HI-END music player designed for enthusiastic fans. This is the second generation of QLA's Hi-Fi music player.

● Single-thread framework programing aims at delivering ultra-accurate real time and ultra-low jitter, plus the hardware circuit design that ensured Hi-END digital output.

● Audio format supported:
- WAV : Support 16/24bit, 44.1~192 kHz.
- FLAC : Support 16/24bit, 44.1 kHz~48 kHz, compression level 0~8.
- APE : Support 16 bit, 44.1 kHz, compression level fast and normal.
- WAVPack : Support 16 bit, 44.1 kHz, compression level fast mode and high quality.
- MP3 : Support 16bit, 44.1/48 kHz, 96k bps~320k bps, CBR/VBR/ABR encoding.
- CUE : Support ANSI / UNICODE / UTF-8 Encoding.

● Digital Output:
- I2S/IIS Output.
- Optical Digital Output.
- EBU/AES Digital Output.
- RCA Coaxial Digital Output.
- BNC1 Coaxial Digital Output.
- BNC2 Current Mode Coaxial Digital Output.

● Support SD Card: SD/SDHC/SDXC are all available, FAT32 file systerm, maximum storage is 128 GB SDXC.

● Use 2pcs High accuracy and low jitter with 1PPM TCXO; audio output by different sampling rates of 22.5792MHz and 24.576MHz.

● Total hamornic distortion: < 0.00002% @ 20-20k Hz
● Dynamic Range: >140dB
● Signal-to-noise ratio(not weighted) : >140dB
● OSD supports simplified English and Chinese.
● Software Upgrade support.
● Dimensions: 290x240x90mm or 11.4" x 9.45" x 3.54" (with all the sockets)

QA660--SD Card WAV Hi-Fi Digital Audio Player

attachment.php

Attachments

• qa660_11.jpg
    qa660_11.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 1,067
Last edited: