Q17 - an audiophile approach to perfect sound

Joined 2019
Paid Member
I will update GitHub, but still working to update documentation and I'm slow, very slow. :rolleyes:
As Tim said, 2oz Cu make sensible sonic difference compared with 1oz, mainly because coil resistance will be lower.

Regards,
Tibi
Documentation is hard work. Always had to do it for the software I wrote. Hated it. But there's a special pleasure in doing a good job of something you don't like doing :)

2oz it is then...

Attachments

• IMG_1343.JPG
    IMG_1343.JPG
    370.3 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_1344.JPG
    IMG_1344.JPG
    321.7 KB · Views: 260
In the last days, I was playing with a very high power Q17-ludicrous. ;)
This will be able to deliver at least 600W/8hm, 1200W/4ohm, 2400W/2ohm.
I already made few high power Q17 using Exicon double die laterals, but this is a different approach due very high capacitance of Fairchild mosfets.
Please take this as an exercise. In real world, some parts must be adjusted. It will simulate ok, but practical implementation will be a challenge.

Regards,
Tibi

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-03-27 at 09.02.39.png
    Screenshot 2022-03-27 at 09.02.39.png
    55.5 KB · Views: 341
  • Screenshot 2022-03-27 at 09.04.05.png
    Screenshot 2022-03-27 at 09.04.05.png
    9.8 KB · Views: 298
  • Q17-ludicrous.asc
    37.9 KB · Views: 115
Reactions: 1 users
Hi Tibi,

with your knowledge of quad power stages would you be able to extract the built in protection against shorts that is inherent in these amps?
im after some help with this as I want to add a robust protection to another amp design (L20SE) so I can run it safely on a pair of ESL63’s.
I’ve built the amps but have since found out about this problem with blowing unprotected amps.
As you know these ESL’s put a near short on the amp output if they drop into protection mode.
if it’s very major I’ll need to scrap the project and go with a quad made amp but these are fully built now as mono blocs so would like to use them.

In the last days, I was playing with a very high power Q17-ludicrous. ;)
This will be able to deliver at least 600W/8hm, 1200W/4ohm, 2400W/2ohm.
I already made few high power Q17 using Exicon double die laterals, but this is a different approach due very high capacitance of Fairchild mosfets.
Please take this as an exercise. In real world, some parts must be adjusted. It will simulate ok, but practical implementation will be a challenge.

Regards,
Tibi
Hello Tibi,

this is a very interesting approach that you are using in your high power amplifier. I have simulated this for critical issues and it behaves more stable than the Q17. Here I compare the Q17 with the new variant with only one pair of power stages. What I still don't understand is why the amplifier needs +- 70V, the simulation stops at a lower voltage.

I overlooked it, of course it works fine with lower voltage when R25 is adjusted.

Regards Tim

Attachments

• Q17x1.JPG
    Q17x1.JPG
    168.5 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:
Hello Tibi
greetings i am wanting to make this amplifier input 1uf cap i am not sure if i can use this cap.

warm regards
Andrew
Hello Andrew,

the MKP10 from Wima is a good capacitor for current smoothing. This capacitor is suitable as C7, if a FKP capacitor is installed in parallel. I find the combination of the MKP10 and a 100nF FKP1 a good economical solution.

Regards Tim

Hi Ed,

It will perform better ? For sure, Yes.
It will sound better ? Maybe, because depends on your source, your cabling, your room etc.
Adding more output devices will decrease amplifier output impedance and therefore increase amplifier capability to deliver more current in a low impedance.
Adding more output devices will make amplifier "more powerful" at lower impedances and increase his capability to drive complex audiophile speakers , including ESL.
For example at same +/-50V and 1KHz, an amplifier (here I do not talk about Q17) may have:
1. With one pair
- 100W in 8ohm
- 120W in 4 ohm
- 120W in 2 ohm

2. With two pairs
- 100W in 8ohm
- 180W in 4ohm
- 300W in 2 ohm

Having an amplifier with very low output impedance make sense even you have small bookshelf speakers.
Q17 achieve this by using high transconductance mosfets. One pair already drive a wide range of speakers very well. Two pairs is for audiophiles who look for the best at given price.

Regards,
Tibi

Hi Ed,

It will perform better ? For sure, Yes.
It will sound better ? Maybe, because depends on your source, your cabling, your room etc.
Adding more output devices will decrease amplifier output impedance and therefore increase amplifier capability to deliver more current in a low impedance.
Adding more output devices will make amplifier "more powerful" at lower impedances and increase his capability to drive complex audiophile speakers , including ESL.
For example at same +/-50V and 1KHz, an amplifier (here I do not talk about Q17) may have:
1. With one pair
- 100W in 8ohm
- 120W in 4 ohm
- 120W in 2 ohm

2. With two pairs
- 100W in 8ohm
- 180W in 4ohm
- 300W in 2 ohm

Having an amplifier with very low output impedance make sense even you have small bookshelf speakers.
Q17 achieve this by using high transconductance mosfets. One pair already drive a wide range of speakers very well. Two pairs is for audiophiles who look for the best at given price.

Regards,
Tibi
Hi Tibi,

Thank you for this very detailed answer.

My second question was:

"What adjustments are needed to let the double output version work on say 48 to 50 Volts?"
So when the same psu is used as the single paired mosfet amp. Or is this not a good practice? This because of not needing all the power and economical perspective too....

Regards,
Ed

The single part that must be adjusted is R25.

Regards,
Tibi
Thanks Tibi,
That's what I did read in earlier posts. I wonder how I should calculate the correct resistance in my case. (48-50Volts DC on the dual mosfet pair version)
Regards, Ed.

Btw, are you willing/able to supply me with the needed 2cs2240/2sa970 maybe?
Can't find those anywere......

Last edited: