Presenting the Trynergy - a full range tractrix synergy.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
But REW do also not save files except when overwriting one

That is strange - do you go to "Save All Measurements" and then it lets you type in filename? You can also export to .txt or .frd file and re-read those in later. The native file contains the .wav file of the sweep though so has lots of info embedded in it for post analyses.

I had to dump Win 8 (stock install that PC came with) and install a fresh Win 7 and the PC went from a crawl to speedster.

If I had my way, I would go back to XP Pro - the best Windows ever. 2000 was pretty good too - you could actually do something with 256MB of memory.

Kees,
the measurement you posted is for Visaton FRS8M and some help from woofer/subwoofer?

How big EQ you used to get the highs at the same level with mids? I am talking only for the horn.

No that is the phillips and a mission tweeter with a TQWT sub, it is to test the measurement setup more easy.

I am again busy now with the faseplugs, to get high oke, if this do not work out I go on without and setup bas phillips in horn.

Maybe you can find something from Monacor or Faital Pro? They are quite cheap but seem to have decent quality. Both are European and easy to find with cheap shipping.

/Anton

I can measure with this pcb the thiele small parameters, so I go do that of phillips do not work out properly, phillips 8 inch old ones sound very good.

Speaker quality is always a costs aspect.

Kees,

I don't know if that helps : here the Visaton W170 at 21 euros : MHP (la Maison du Haut-Parleur) : concepteur français de kits d'enceintes pour la HI-FI et le Home Cinéma... , I believe they ship !

Also (but they don't take care to give/sell you the correct weight so shipping is aways expensive : monacor spm-165/8

Visaton w170 has to high qts, it is meant for the open baffle and such, I get to big a box behind. I did saw these already thanks.

there is also Mivoc, cheap and qts of 0.3 to 0.4.

https://www.mivoc.com/gs/media/prod...C.pdf?XTCsid=5dc20347a4934ad85be6c72b9356a47a

or these polypropylene and kevlar conus 5.25 inch, fine for trynergy. both vert cheap but need to measure them.

https://www.elektronicatekoop.nl/audio-en-video/losse-speakers/woofer-5-25-inch

You need the kevlar one who has a qts of 0.43 the other has 0.71, to high

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Those look good. Note that if budget is an issue, higher Qts drivers can successfully be used for woofers here. The rear chamber may be undersized, but that is ok if fs is much lower than 100Hz. Unless you are aiming for reaching 60Hz f3, drivers with Qts of 0.7 or larger can be used as in my case (Qts of 1). It just rolls off the bass sooner and provides a nice high pass mechanical filter that helps prevent over excursion.

Those look good. Note that if budget is an issue, higher Qts drivers can successfully be used for woofers here. The rear chamber may be undersized, but that is ok if fs is much lower than 100Hz. Unless you are aiming for reaching 60Hz f3, drivers with Qts of 0.7 or larger can be used as in my case (Qts of 1). It just rolls off the bass sooner and provides a nice high pass mechanical filter that helps prevent over excursion.

Budget is always a issiue because I do also amps, and somewhere there is a border who prevent.

But as I say it is a design and test, later on we can always go to better.

I go try first the phillips 1970 ones because she sound so good.

And the faseplugs now, I make very small ones with two rings, because the center cap of the 3 inch wideband is small
and there the HF excists, I have to channel that so a radial will be the first attemp.

I didn't understand the role of the phase plug here ! Is it to extend the HF or has it a role like the guides present in the TH-4001 for instance (the famous horn from TAD) : sort of horizontal waves brassing ?

Extending the HF becasue of cone canceling, that is why a 6 dB hgh pass did work but lower the efficienty, I try to get that up so distortion is as low as possible, still because of the bass units we use horn has to get down a 8 a10 dB .

regards

Who can explane me why the subwoofer do this on 52 Hz, it is not removable with damping or I do not now where to do that, I have done it with hornresp but then in real it do not, maybe the visaton who has big VAS is the problem, I can do isobaric them I have more wsp26s.

thanks.

regards

Attachments

• subwoofer.jpg
    subwoofer.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 217
Yes it is for the trynergy at first glance, but later on there will be a other one.

this go to 20 Hz and it is a T-TQWT see hornresp picture.

the sim is now isobaric, I am busy to make them that way to halve the VAS.

I have seen your bass ports are not round but some strange form, have ypu reason for that? like the dimensions, the round hole get then to big.

regards

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_846 Nov. 27 19.35.jpg
    ScreenHunter_846 Nov. 27 19.35.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 209
  • visaton pipe.jpg
    visaton pipe.jpg
    274.8 KB · Views: 211
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Is that a measurement of a built speaker as shown above? Sometimes a dip is floor bounce. Stick mic at exit plane of sub and measure very low level excitation to see if it is intrinsic.

A dip is usually caused by cancellation of reflected wave from mouth back to cone - and is the reason why most tapped horns go up to 100Hz only. If you are designing for 20Hz extension it will move the cancelation dip lower and possibly at 60Hz. The fact it is a peak followed by a dip tells me it is probably an internal reflection from terminus coming back to cone and canceling. Or a reflection from closed end to cone canceling. 60Hz half wave is 2.85m long. Look for a cone to end wall 2.85m distance and you have your culprit.

Last edited: