Preamp-Buffers - simple idea

I build the modulated CCS version and it worked right away.
Distortion is even lower then the non driven version. I am a bit at a loss to explain why this distortion readings are even lower then the loop back.

Attachments

• Calvin Buffer driven CCS dist.JPG
    Calvin Buffer driven CCS dist.JPG
    230.8 KB · Views: 1,285
Hi,

Andrew, if I click on the Thumbs they open to nearly full screen size on my monitor and are easy to read.

Joachim, the THD is also lower in sim, the more so the lower the load impedance. While in #52A the positive branch takes over nearly all the signal current swing, in #52B the negative part takes over more than half of it.
You can achieve symmetrical swings in both halves if You split the 180Ohms R102 in 100R+75R or 100R+82R and taking the connection c from the resistors pair´s midpoint. This reduces the grade of modulation of the negative branch.

jauu
Calvin

ps. hope to see You soon in MUC

I have the driven CCS buffer with split resistors in the system.
The bass is such powerful and potent that i thought that Satchmo´s St. James Infirmary was a little slow. It even had the effect that time stood still, if you do a car crash in winter with minimum speed but still not able to prevent it.
I checked the speed of my turntable with a 300Hz strobe and found to my amazement that it was a bit too fast ! After adjusting it i listened further. The slight antiseptic effect of the non driven version is gone. I have to listen more but i think that voices, cornets, clarinets and trombones sounded fuller and more liquid. I can directly look into Louis throat but i will not tell you what i found there.
There is a lot of light on top, cymbals shimmer and crush with extraordinary focus.
3 D effect is even stronger with this version.
I then put on " Brandt, Brauer, Frick MIAMI ", a wondrous and very innovative minimal art act. I had to reduce the volume or else my woofers would have jumped out of the cabinets. Dynamics is a very strong point of this buffer. Call me nuts, i am mesmerized.
Many will come now and say that it can be improved, it may and i will build the mosfet version too. Still i think this animal is already a classic and i did not even design it :)

Next on the table : Frank Minion, The Soft Land Of Make Believe,
Introduction To Black Opium Street is downright scary.
Ofra Haza, Kirja She is not only downright gorgeous but can also create a very special atmosphere between east and west, sends shimmers down my spine.
Joni Mitchell, Ladies Of The Canyon, i am speechless, should i laugh or should i cry ?
Brand, Brauer, Frick again with Mr.Machine
What starts as a kindergarten song gets so complex that i am staring to hear the angles sing.

You are a refugee
From a wealthy family
you gave up all the golden factories
To see, who in the world you might be Joni Mitchell, 1969

I have the driven CCS buffer with split resistors in the system.
The bass is such powerful and potent that i thought that Satchmo´s St. James Infirmary was a little slow. It even had the effect that time stood still, if you do a car crash in winter with minimum speed but still not able to prevent it.
I checked the speed of my turntable with a 300Hz strobe and found to my amazement that it was a bit too fast ! After adjusting it i listened further. The slight antiseptic effect of the non driven version is gone. I have to listen more but i think that voices, cornets, clarinets and trombones sounded fuller and more liquid. I can directly look into Louis throat but i will not tell you what i found there.
There is a lot of light on top, cymbals shimmer and crush with extraordinary focus.
3 D effect is even stronger with this version.
I then put on " Brandt, Brauer, Frick MIAMI ", a wondrous and very innovative minimal art act. I had to reduce the volume or else my woofers would have jumped out of the cabinets. Dynamics is a very strong point of this buffer. Call me nuts, i am mesmerized.
Many will come now and say that it can be improved, it may and i will build the mosfet version too. Still i think this animal is already a classic and i did not even design it :)

Interesting thanks for sharing your impression.
What parts did you use for the output stage? What BJTs? Did you use the dual 389 for biasing?
Did you use the compensation capacitor across junction as shown on the schematic?

Please post this on masterpiece too to keep track of it...if you want to :t_ache:

I think i posted how i build it. Anyway, after i have tested the performance with heavy loading ( say 100 Ohm ), tested the mosfet version and played around with the zobel i will post a schematic on the Masterpiece thread that works best for me.
I sounds already so good that i can promise a surprise.
This is a really rare combination of power and refinement.
Thanks to Calvin.

I think i posted how i build it. Anyway, after i have tested the performance with heavy loading ( say 100 Ohm ), tested the mosfet version and played around with the zobel i will post a schematic on the Masterpiece thread that works best for me.
I sounds already so good that i can promise a surprise.
This is a really rare combination of power and refinement.
Thanks to Calvin.

Wow I am looking forward to seeing the final schematic on masterpiece..

Thanks Calvin for developing something so exciting and Joachim for carrying it on.