Pictures of your diy Pass amplifier

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Hey Dennis, using BA3-pre and a SE tube preamp.
Tube preamps is more engaging and resolves overtones better.
Doesn't sound confused as does the BA3-pre.
On the other hand, the BA3-pre and the J2 in my system is a stunning combination.
I'd like to borrow a friend's Aleph 1.7 and hear how balanced mono sounds.

I don't know. Makes me happy to see other's people's systems. :)

Nice!

Great build. I had a very similar system, F4 with Pencil 10 speakers. My hearing fell off a cliff in past year, so sold the PASS amp and my Sony ES CD player. Son has speakers.

After playing around with audio for most of my adult life, I did manage to get my perfect sound, if even for a fleeting few years. Thanks to Nelson, MarkAudio, and all in diyAudio community.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Just another P1.7 finished.:):)

It sounds marvelous, live, it makes me smile.

Wow! Boards from Veteran (DA). I guess this project has been many many years in the making because I have the same boards and mine is not yet singing. I populated them and found them too noisy and only got the noise issue resolved last year. One day I will give them a proper home, glad to see there are others still on the same journey!

:cheers::cheers:

Great build. I had a very similar system, F4 with Pencil 10 speakers. My hearing fell off a cliff in past year, so sold the PASS amp and my Sony ES CD player. Son has speakers.

After playing around with audio for most of my adult life, I did manage to get my perfect sound, if even for a fleeting few years. Thanks to Nelson, MarkAudio, and all in diyAudio community.

Truly sad my friend. :cuss:

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Folks:

The preamplifier in my main system has long been an Aleph P 1.7, which I built in 2007. It’s a great sounding preamp and I was in no rush to replace it, at least until Burning Amp 2018. Wayne Colburn’s presentation on his BA2018 design got me thinking about a new preamp project. I don’t build a lot and tend to live with my projects for a long time, so I don’t mind going a little overboard.

Wayne’s BA2018 preamp was a given and I am very pleased with the quality of the board purchased from the diyAudio store. A lot has been written about the MUSES 73230 attenuator and I figured it would be an improvement over the relay-based attenuator I built for the AP17. There are several MUSES options available and I ended up choosing a system from Academy Audio (Hi-End Audio Modules | United States | Academy Audio Inc) that also included source selection functionality and a display. I prefer dual mono construction so, naturally, it made perfect sense to get three of Pete Millett’s LR phono preamp power supply boards (LR Phono Preamp and a 6L6 recommendation); two of the power supply boards are dedicated to the BA2018 (each running at about 19.5+/- VDC) and the third drives the attenuator/source selection/display system and the front panel LEDs. Overkill, yes, but this new preamp will likely be my reference for at least a decade.

About five years ago, I commissioned a large (56 mm) stainless steel knob from Viljo Marrandi (Viljo Marrandi art and engraving – Handmade art). It was going to be used on another preamp project that never saw the light of day. The quality of the knob is very high and I’m pleased to be able to use it now. It is heavy, feels substantial and is a lovely way to interact with the preamp.

I’ve written this before but it still bears mentioning: my engineering expertise is rudimentary at best and my audio projects are more a testament to the generosity of others than anything to do with me. Sure, for some it’s a business, but even so Pete Millett, Viljo Marrandi and Lenny Novikov (Academy Audio’s very helpful and gracious principal) couldn’t have been any nicer to work with. Figuring out how to drive a bicolor LED (as a power indicator) turned out to be a fascinating learning experience and a great way to use up a few BC550 transistors (the circuit was also adapted to drive the knob backlights), and for that lesson my thanks go out to the diyAudio community (but especially Mooly, Elvee and Itsmee).

It’s only been running for about 10 hours and still needs to burn in, but this BA2018 promises to be a nice improvement over my old AP17. No disrespect to the venerable AP17 is intended, but there is an immediacy to the BA2018 that is very engaging. It throws an engaging, wide and deep soundstage and sounds very “clean” without being too analytical. This one’s a keeper.

Regards,
Scott

Attachments

• BA2018 Preamp (front standby).JPG
    BA2018 Preamp (front standby).JPG
    821.8 KB · Views: 1,356
  • BA2018 Preamp (front on).JPG
    BA2018 Preamp (front on).JPG
    854.1 KB · Views: 1,362
  • BA2018 Preamp (overview).jpg
    BA2018 Preamp (overview).jpg
    521.5 KB · Views: 1,381
  • BA2018 Power Supply (side_2).jpg
    BA2018 Power Supply (side_2).jpg
    419.7 KB · Views: 1,349
  • BA2018 Preamp (rear).JPG
    BA2018 Preamp (rear).JPG
    496.4 KB · Views: 1,288
@SRMcGEE

I really like what you managed to do aesthetically. I recently built an F5 and am patiently waiting for a group buy for Salas DCG3 boards. I don't have a preamp and the F5 has been collecting dust...

Anyway, I especially like your power switch. My F5 only has the switch at the IEC input and I'd like to have something on the front, but I don't like the round push buttons that are so common now. I'd rather have something inconspicuous like what you did here, both on the amp and the preamp.

Anyway, beautiful job, and I'm going to send a PM to ask for more info on your design.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
What did you use for the power umbilical connector?

Nash:

I purchased 10-pin Y2M aviation / military grade connectors through AliExpress and made 'em myself. Ten 6-foot 22 gauge stranded wires (three wires for each power supply and one for ground) in a tinned copper sleeve (itself connected to the ground connection at one end) and then covered in Techflex. The umbilical is tough, very flexible and more than long enough.

Regards,
Scott