• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Photo Gallery

Joined 2005
Paid Member
"Tube amplifiers, built in the last, four years ."

Wow, they look great; an impressive body of work!

It took me 7 years to build just one...the upside of that long time line was that I re-designed it several times, as I absorbed inspiration and knowledge about tube design from you-all! Thanks!

David

Thanks for your kind words , but forget other two amplifiers sold . :)
20210408_230747.jpg
20210421_164401.jpg

Regards ,
Alex
20210421_171248-001.jpg
20210421_164454.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
Was wanting to get back into tube amps, and decided to try out an EL84 based amp. Ended up with a Manley Stingray and even had it rebuilt to incorporate a few of the options that the Stingray II has. It just arrived back from Manley today, and I am enjoying the results. Really had no idea how much I had missed a good tube amp.
P5060001.JPG

Reactions: 5 users
SE Compactron amp. 6BN11, triode strapped mu-follower driving 6JC5, pentode with regulated screen. GNFB. 1.25% THD at 2.83V RMS, 1kHz. 97% of the distortion is 2nd order.

Overall:

View attachment 1186583

Left channel:

View attachment 1186584

Right channel:

View attachment 1186585

Input and voltage regulation:

View attachment 1186586

Power supply:

View attachment 1186587

Glow:

View attachment 1186588

I can't believe that I didn't take better notice of your wiring here! This is exactly what I try to tell folks about making a 'decent connection' to begin with and not relying on the solder to do the job by itself. Making a good mechanical connection first is the best way to connect wires and leads. How many times have you seen a lead of a component laying across the intended connection and then a coat of solder applied to make it complete? Just not good. Winding a lead like what is shown here (although I don't wind several times, only 1 1/2 times) and then applying the solder is making the connection higher quality from the very start and not utilizing lead solder to pass a signal.

Couldn't pass up the opportunity to share this when it is so evident here. Good looking wiring paths to boot. Better than many manufacturers out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users