• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

PeeCeeBee V5 discussion thread

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Thought I would post here also, in case no one looks at the GB thread anymore

Is it OK to use 1/2W resistors (ie:enough room for them). I have most values in my inventory already. Have any other builders used 1/2W resistors rather than 1/4W, without running into lack of space ?

If one wanted to use a fixed inductor for L1, (ie: commercial product), would it be sized for 2 or 3 times the biasing current ( bias @ 155 so L @ 300ma or more), along with a low mohm value for DCR ?

Thanks,
MM

1/2w resistors military? Definitely not enough space.
But professional/industrial resistors 0.5-0.6w will fit.
I didn’t build this amp but I built some other Shawn’s amps.
About that L1 , I would just use some magnet wire and diy a nice inductor, which btw should be able to carry large amount of current, maybe 15amps or more not 300mA.
Do you have the boards already?

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Waiting on the boards to make it to Canada. I do not use the military grade, and I am just trying to use up some inventory. These days you can find some small 1/2w packages. I am being lazy about the winding of L1. Some of my windings are not that pretty.
I was just asking if anyone knew the current (A) values and DCR (ohm) values to search a suitable product that would fit on the board.
Cheers

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2010
Paid Member
@asuslover. Reasons for not using?. Not sure if you were looking at the correct table

Bourns Part Number: RLB1314-3R3ML, Inductance (µH) = 3.3uH, RDC (ohns) = 0.008 ohms, IDC(A)=5.6A , Diameter = 9mm.

I am no expert, but from looking at the schematic, this inductor is part of the zobel at the output. Is it super critical. ?

That is why I am asking for help from the designer of the circuit to find out what current and resistance values are needed for the inductor. Do you know what they are ?.

Cheers

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Definitely not!

The parallel LR circuit is there to isolate capacitance from the amp output and should be an air core inductor made with 18-16ga enameled copper wire. This is not the same as the RC Zobel network. If Shaan included the LR circuit in the V5 amplifier, then it needs to be there. He might have included build instructions for the inductor in the build guide or schematic on diameter and turn number. Your going to have to wind your own. Maybe Tom C. from Neurochrome still sells premade coils used in his amps?

Reactions: 1 user
Definitely not!

The parallel LR circuit is there to isolate capacitance from the amp output and should be an air core inductor made with 18-16ga enameled copper wire. This is not the same as the RC Zobel network. If Shaan included the LR circuit in the V5 amplifier, then it needs to be there. He might have included build instructions for the inductor in the build guide or schematic on diameter and turn number. Your going to have to wind your own. Maybe Tom C. from Neurochrome still sells premade coils used in his amps?
Hey Vunce, asuslover

Yes, Shaan has include all necessary instructions on how to wind our own choke
Is there some reason why not to use a ferrite core inductor?
There are more ready to install inductors like DR0810-332L if the max current is the only issue

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Hi Builders of the V5,

I have 4 heatsinks that measure 210mm L x 70mm H x 50mm W each. I was planning on using 2 of these per channel. I am asking if you think they would be adequate for normal listening, not rocking it out ;)

If not I have some cpu heatsinks and a couple of fans that would handle the heat. This would mean using flying leads.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions,

MM

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Hi shaan or other builders,

I would like to mount 2 x 10,000uF capacitors underneath my PeeCeeBee psu. Should I mount them on the cap pads closest to the transformer in's or on the other cap pads close to the psu outs, or does it matter?

Member zebulo mounted 2 caps on the pads closest to the grounds and the psu outs on his VH4 build. I just wanted to ask if any preference as to where the caps should be mounted.

Thanks,

MM

Kokanee,
I don't know about the advantages of capacitor placement, though I would speculate that it's better to keep AC-carrying wires short than to keep DC-carrying wires short.
I'm concerned about your plan to put big power supply caps under anything. Keep in mind that when a capacitor blows the top explodes with a lot of force.

I finally started putting everything in the case and connecting everything. I am puzzled by the note in the build guide which says:
"Make sure that the heatsink's body is connected to power-supply's 0V ground output. Without this the amplifier may start oscillating when powered."
This is new to me. Anybody know why this is so?

Joined 2010
Paid Member
@bip, it is fairly common practice to ground the heatsink properly. The caps underneath the pcb for more capacitance is quite common if you want to add capacitance. Just make sure the caps polarity is wired correctly and the cap is secured to the bottom of the pcb and not in contact with the chassis.
Cheers