Pearl 3 Burning Amp 2023

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Good old Wayne, he ain't scared of nuthin'.

_

Attachments

• screen_capture.png
    screen_capture.png
    33.6 KB · Views: 254
What is the reason for Pearl3 now there exist a Pearl2? (e.g. like better performance, easier to build etc.?)

I had a "turntable experience" yesterday as I got a friend interested in "true HiFi" so I suggested to get one of Troels Gravesens speaker builds.
Then we together took a small trip to TG's home (pre-arranged of course) and tool these small 2-way speakers with us home:
http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/Revelator-51.htm

Why such small speakers?
Answer: small listening room and accepted by wife (in short "WAF").

Also the "price-tag" was more than reasonable. He almost just paid the kit-price. So he got all the cabinet building work for free + crossover building.
Impressing bass response for such a small speaker and overall impressing sound quality.

The turntable setup was this:
http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/Kuzma.htm

I am happy I did not "fiddle" with the cartridge when Troels was making coffee......because I got the price-tag just after......
But really really good sounding setup.
I must admit that when we tried the CD-player the sound was good but a bit "flat" sounding compared to the turntable setup. Also less 3D depth.

As an "entry-level" turntable setup for my friend Troels suggested a Rega P3 (or higer) + Ortofon 2M black lvb 250.

Maybe a Pearl3 for such a setup in the future could be a good match.......

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2020
Paid Member
Agree a Rega P3 with a nice Ortofon 2M cartridge is a good place to start. I have the 2M Bronze on my P3, which is "one down" from the Black. Supposedly more lush and full than the very detailed Black cartridge, and a touch less expensive. Suggested mods to the P3 include the platter from the P6. I haven't tried that, I'd likely just go for a higher end table.

I've used a couple of op-amp based phono stages, the Rega fono mini and the RJM Emerald, so a Pearl 3 would be in line with that.

Yes, and the 2M Black LVB250 should be a step up from the "normal" 2M black.
They have used the needle/diamant from the Cadenza Black MC cartridge.
A Rega P8 looks ok. They use very lightweight plint. Seems there are two ways to do it.....either very heavy or very light but some stiffness from platter to arm is required. Rega seems to handle this issue also.

The signal from a cartridge is balanced by nature?
I wonder if it would be possible to built 2xPearl3 (stereo) and make a true balanced phono-pre (instead of the "glued-on" solution)?