Pearl 3 Burning Amp 2023

Joined 2003
Paid Member
It just to me, doesn't make sense not to have that ground from one end to the other. On the other hand I've seen "directional" interconnect cables where shield is only connected on one end.

Again, I will ask to to make sure I didn't see the big picture...which happens with alarming regularity around here!

Russellc

I felt kind of embarrased, that these PCB´s had been lying around, so now done (almost).
Stash was short of 8-pole dip-switch and 4.7pF.Also....better go unpack the parcel, Gianluca sent a couple of months ago :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

L1010179.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The X-Ono is really excellent and remains one of the most dynamic phono pre I've heard. Alas I only heard one once, but it was clear that it was in a league above the Pearl 2. I look forward to your comparison with the Pearl 3.

IMO the Pearl 3 is surprisingly good, however find that its sound depends on the Op Amp used. Another good news is that the OP Amp provided in the kit (NJM 2068D) sounds great compared to at least one other I tried. I have three or four more to test and listen to. Please share what OP Amp you are using with your impressions.

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry I forgot...many thanks to Wayne, Jim and all the others involved in brining this project into existence.

The build guide is superb and a budding DIYers paradise to the successful completion of a stunning Phono Stage that not a lot can beat in standard trim.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Perhaps the Blind Listening Test of seven different opamps installed into the DIP sockets of Pearl 3, might be enjoyable to read. The test protocol is discussed (here) and the results + feverish agreements/disagreements begin in post #23 of that thread. Enjoy!
Ohhhh... I read it....... and also commented.
I was really surprised to see, that the highest score went to MC-1458. Had originally planned to use my (2 last in stock) OPA-1656,
but after reading about your (and thanks btw for doing this) op-amp-mix, i slowed down and installed sockets instead :giggle:

Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2003
Paid Member
First power up, no joy yet....Power supply good, voltage at end of umbilical same as power supply outs. Hooked it up to phono unit
both front LEDs light up, right channel red led is not on. Measuring B+ on right channel, only 2.3 volt DC! Going back to xlr jack, only 2.3 on the back side pin
as well. Powered down, pulled power umbilical, yes, 23. something, but hook it up, down by factor of 10. I checked regulators, in proper position, but I dont see how they could affect voltage before it got to them.

Even left side channel whose red led lit up measures 2.3 volts. Ive stared at it and poked around, but nothing obvious to see. My chassis mount 4 pin xlr seems to lower voltage from 23.4 down to 2.3 volts.

ideas?

Russellc