P3A Comparison table ( long .... )

Bigun, it is a smart decision conceptually, is there any weaknesses of the V2 compared to V1?

My TGM8 has several other enhancements, it's really a different amplifier at the end of the day but it took inspiration from this thread, because I read all the good words from Sakis. Technically, my version is way ahead but it's more complex and uses advanced pcb-layout with some SMD parts. A couple of people who have heard both amps say they are both great amps, but TGM8 has the edge.

Been listening the P3A i don't know for how many years now .From time to time i like people to read my comments about how this is done ...I listen most of the times at low power and i listen from relatively sensitive speakers so ....most of my comments is related on this type of listening ...

Through the years seems that now i am able to tell the difference on the first click and on the first watt between amplifiers ...Though there is a chance that those will behave better or different if pushed harder ....

never noticed a P3a running out of steam never had a complain from a listener about that.Recently i had a listener testing a P3A on electrostatics and the guy was thrilled even though his set up will only include tube amplifiers His comment was that if i am getting an amplifier to use in the hot Greek summer P3A it will be ...

Gareth, as said i am almost willing to pay to listen to your amp point is that my time is so limited that if a get boards to construct this will never happen ( i was given a couple of LYNX boards from Jan as a present i think around 2010 and those are still in the feature project box ...half made ) ....

Finally let us not forget that choice of parts and mix matching is critical ..In detail each combo will produce a slightly different sonic signature ...

Its always welcome and useful to have your comments around Bigun thanks for sharing your opinion and wonderful projects .

Kind regards
Sakis

This is imo very true, but I'm reluctant to mention it because it seems against the popular believe.

No this is the reality ....every tiny bit will make a difference to the sonic signature question is if the difference is noticeable and even better measurable While it remains an issue if the system has analysis enough to present a difference which obviously applies for the listener ... also ...

No this is the reality ....every tiny bit will make a difference to the sonic signature question is if the difference is noticeable and even better measurable While it remains an issue if the system has analysis enough to present a difference which obviously applies for the listener ... also ...

Hello Sakis.

I have 2 P3A built I love it, but one of those were the first amp I built so the pcb is a bit reworked , so now I will build another using Rod's pcbs to replace the latter.

So do you have any recommendations on what should matched . matching all resistors ? ceramic caps? etc

Thanks

Ceramic NP0/C0G are very good. Some prefer these to polypropylene or polystyrene in high quality amplifiers.
Silvered mica are also good, but seem to suit other frequencies than audio.
But in general any of those four can be swapped around in audio circuits.

For Power supply rail decoupling you have to use electrolytics and X7R ceramics to minimise the inductance.

I would expect to see at least a few ceramics in any good power amplifier, including the ESP models.

Andrew, my thoughts on the matter are:

- NP0/C0G ceramics are pretty much ideal as compensation capacitors or just about any other location where pF values are required.
- I've experimented with silvered mica in the critical compensation locations as preferred by several highly regarded designers on this forum, but I have not formed a preference.
- I tend to use surface mount X5R or X7R whenever HF decoupling is required in the range 100nF to 1uF.
- Polystyrene is impractical due to the high cost, large footprint and limited availability in useful sizes.
- Polypropylene is appropriate for LF filtering applications.
- Electrolytics are ideal for DC blocking where the exact Fc is unimportant.

I'm using only carbon composition resistors and a ceramics caps in my first p3a amp. Still it's a great sounding amp.It's been working for 3 years now.I have tried connecting it to my old technics SUG90 preamp output.Then it becomes a great sounding machine. The sound quality is absolutely amazing, imho.:)

cheers,