• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

OTL designed by Tim Mellow with 4 6C33C?

Hey all, great topic.. I'm just beginning to put the final schematics into Circuit Maker and then start the buying process of parts.

We were happy to see successful projects with these beasts, some really inspired us (especially using handles - good idea).

Since my father has 4 matched Ulyanov 6C33C-B tubes, we're probably doing a mod/resize onto Class-A pushpull & balanced inputs and try to drive the tubes somewhat cooler. Still in consideration. We'll see.

Cheers.

More recently, I am stressed by the idea of finding a better tube instead of ef86 in my scheme. That's because over time, the only problem was the premature wear of the two pentodes, which can lead to a collapse when the power tubes remain without bias. I noticed that one of the two pentodes works at the limit in Tim's scheme which can cause wear. What can you suggest?

More recently, I am stressed by the idea of finding a better tube instead of ef86 in my scheme. That's because over time, the only problem was the premature wear of the two pentodes, which can lead to a collapse when the power tubes remain without bias. I noticed that one of the two pentodes works at the limit in Tim's scheme which can cause wear. What can you suggest?

I didn't trust the JJs or Electro-Harmonix, so my solution was to order 20 NOS 6Ж32П equivalents by Svetlana. I got a job lot for $100 in the Ukraine, but they are plentiful on eBay. I made a basic tube tester, and then matched them myself. I've never had any failures.

BTW, my Tim Mellow OTL has turned out to be a fabulous amp, but of course it's very hard on the electricity bill, so I only use it to give myself an audio treat occasionally. A fan is essential or it will overheat badly. Mine is a "Silent Wings 2" 120mm by "bequiet" of Germany.

Hi Godfrey,

I used Mullards and now I am running some RFTs. I used a lot my OTL as I like how it drives my ESL63 and I am not very much concern about the electricity bill....for the moment. Also, the "hotness" is not an issue in my case, as I changed the input of my Quads to 32 ohms, so the amp is more efficient, the musical power rise and the current lowers at no more than 1,25 amps on peaks. In that matter, I followed the notes and ideas of Patrick Turner, as he used a trafo adapter between OTL and speakers with the primary at 120 ohms.

By the way, did you make any improvement to your OTL?

In my case, after lots of conversations with Tim Mellow (who kindly answered every time even to my most stupid questions) I had done the followingS:
- Power supply was totally separated. one trafo for the main +/- 150V, one for the filaments, and one for the first stage and bias.
- Delay for the main supply, the amp starts with filaments and the first stage/bias, then after 10 min, the main trafo start softly.
- The first stage tail has added a CCS using a 2SK117gr.

The result was an improvement in detail, soundstage and lower response.

Regards,
Victor

Last edited:
By the way, did you make any improvement to your OTL?

Not necessarily an improvement in sound quality but as I have the tubes already I am thinking of building this version of the Mellow OTL.

triodeamp2013

Has anyone done this and, if so, how was it?

In my case, after lots of conversations with Tim Mellow (who kindly answered every time even to my most stupid questions) I had done the followingS:
- Power supply was totally separated. one trafo for the main +/- 150V, one for the filaments, and one for the first stage and bias.
- Delay for the main supply, the amp starts with filaments and the first stage/bias, then after 10 min, the main trafo start softly.
- The first stage tail has added a CCS using a 2SK117gr.

The result was an improvement in detail, soundstage and lower response.

That's interesting Victor. For my planned build I am thinking I will use fully regulated power supplies using TomC's maid reg circuit;

21st Century Maida Regulator

Using regulated supplies should reduce the influence of an added CCS but I would still be interested in what you have done to add one to your first stage - do you have a sketch of the changes you made?

Cheers

Ray

Using regulated supplies should reduce the influence of an added CCS but I would still be interested in what you have done to add one to your first stage - do you have a sketch of the changes you made?

Cheers

Ray[/QUOTE]
I don't see the connection between regulating the supply of the first stage and adding the ccs on the long tail phase inverter. But here you are what I have done in that case.

Attachments

• otl tim simulare final .jpg
    otl tim simulare final .jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 398
triodeamp2013

Has anyone done this and, if so, how was it?

Ray[/QUOTE]
I use that amp since 2015 and I can't find something better....in conjunction with my ESL63.
There is some clue in the beginning but I managed to find solutions as:
- main PSU capacitors quality matters a lot
- matching the 6c33c is a must but is not easy
- matching the ef86 also is a must
- the quality of the ecc83 is very important in the sound result (now I use some old MINIWAT with best results)
- The quality of the input capacitors matters a lot.
- the amp as a whole thing, must run more than 100 hours till it starts delighting the ears

My goal is getting rid of the two input capacitors by using an input balancing transformer, but.....I was not able til mow to find the practical mode to do it.

Some photos of the naked thing:

Attachments

• 20180126_195825.jpg
    20180126_195825.jpg
    869.1 KB · Views: 295
  • 20180109_101726.jpg
    20180109_101726.jpg
    644 KB · Views: 259
  • L2-1.jpg
    L2-1.jpg
    722.6 KB · Views: 241
  • L1-3.jpg
    L1-3.jpg
    692.2 KB · Views: 251
Last edited:
I don't see the connection between regulating the supply of the first stage and adding the ccs on the long tail phase inverter. But here you are what I have done in that case.

Thanks Victor. I'm not an electronics engineer and it may be that I have misunderstood something; I thought that by regulating the plate voltage you are in essence influencing the current at the cathode. Anyway, thanks for sharing your schematic.

Ray

I use that amp since 2015 and I can't find something better....in conjunction with my ESL63.
There is some clue in the beginning but I managed to find solutions as:
- main PSU capacitors quality matters a lot
- matching the 6c33c is a must but is not easy
- matching the ef86 also is a must
- the quality of the ecc83 is very important in the sound result (now I use some old MINIWAT with best results)
- The quality of the input capacitors matters a lot.
- the amp as a whole thing, must run more than 100 hours till it starts delighting the ears

My goal is getting rid of the two input capacitors by using an input balancing transformer, but.....I was not able til mow to find the practical mode to do it.

Some photos of the naked thing:

Nice project Victor.

I am also interested in the possibility of the balanced input to the Mellow OTL (mentioned in the original article) and eliminating the input caps but in my case I have available DACs with balanced outputs using high quality Lundahl transformers so it may be possible as there is no DC present on the input signals. I can use digital volume control (via HQ Player) and/or maybe a balanced attenuator.

I see you have also removed the bias current ammeters and use a low value resistor instead. I plan to do the same and install a socket to allow a multimeter to be used to periodically check the bias current.

The link I included in my post was different to your build in using Russian sub-miniature tubes instead of the ECC83 and EF86s, it is that change I was asking if anyone had tried? I already have the specified subminiature tubes so it may be worth a try.

BTW, I'll be using the amp with 16ohm speakers, which should give it a slightly easier life.