• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Ordering from Justradios.com

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Okay so what is a good film capacitor.And motor caps leaking i thought the entire point of film capacitors is that they cant leak and last longer than electrolytics. Can you please show me a good film capacitor? Second of all what do you mean by hifi? Do you mean something that sounds good but is a little affordable like solen fast caps and castle isis speakers or do you mean amplifiers that cost more then an arm and a leg. wires made out of gold and tweeters made out of diamond.

Wait a second if the motor capacitors are so bad why are they at a worse Price point.
EZPE50206LTA Kondensator, radial 20 uF +-10% 500 VDC Panasonic

C878AF35160AA0J PP metallisert filmkondensator for motordrift 16uF +-5 % KEMET

Are panasonic film capacitors bad too?

Did you ever get an acceptable answer to your question about buying stuff from Justradios.com? If so, then why not start another thread that actually discusses capacitors in the title so maybe you will get better responses about capacitors? Or do you just want to keep an ad for Justradios.com running at the top of the page?

duncan2,
Not many devices have been designed explicitly for use in audio. Why on earth would metalized polypropylene film capacitors for motor starting generally have thin dielectric layers and be leaky? No measurement can describe sonic performance, a subjective empirical comparison can.

¤

Fjellreven,
We should be picky.
Ceramic and mica capacitors exhibit nasty "piezoelectric" distortion. Paper capacitors do not have good enough high frequency properties.
Use capacitors with a small capacitance to volume ratio.

I would
keep the resistors and film capacitors
replace the electrolytic and paper capacitors
be very cautious about replacing the ceramic capacitors (in that case with polystyrene capacitors)

duncan2,
Not many devices have been designed explicitly for use in audio. Why on earth would metalized polypropylene film capacitors for motor starting generally have thin dielectric layers and be leaky? No measurement can describe sonic performance, a subjective empirical comparison can.

Its obvious you haven't worked in the electrical engineering industry N1012N---I have and changed plenty of them but as you don't believe me will you take the word of one of the highest respected websites in the land on this subject for the reference of guys with strings of letters after their names ??

Please read-

Controlling flashover between electrode segments in DC power capacitors - IEEE Conference Publication

It does NOT matter too much in electrical engineering power supply as they are ----SELF HEALING but that's not the case in HIGH quality audio polypropylene capacitors and as I said have you watched a properly set up test on a jig with a motor capacitor connected to a extremely expensive Spectrum Analyzer ?---I have .

Why pick on Fjeiireven ? its obvious he doesn't know too much about electronic components and even with his pretty good English its also obvious he doesn't pick up all the inner meaning of that language.

I would never attempt to post in Norwegian translators just don't present the full detail why put off those that are asking for help ?

I have spent decades helping many in different fields you don't get anywhere castigating them just because they don't know as much as you do that's arrogance.

Thanks TG---If it is it is recommended that a surge protection resistor be fitted --not my words but the original manufacturers of selenium rectifiers backed up by electronic hardware engineers of the time.
I don't see resistors in the original schematics.
Maybe the secondary winding's DC resistance acts as one?
It should be well over 100 Ohm given the 160mA fuse and 75mA rated rectifier.

Fjellreven,
We should be picky.
Ceramic and mica capacitors exhibit nasty "piezoelectric" distortion. Paper capacitors do not have good enough high frequency properties.
Use capacitors with a small capacitance to volume ratio.

You do realise im only going to be using the am part of the radio not FM this is mainly because of the fact the only FM Channel you can get here is nea radio a horrible radio Station and since its am something doesnt sound that great anyway then whats the point of using high Quality capacitors in the rf section. And also the reason i am more interested in am is that you can get several countries and its little fun and its sure as hell is not anyware close to hifi.i mean you also get someone sending S O 24/7 on the end of the FM band here but i dont think it should count.

And also are tandberg amplifiers and radio's good because there is No surge resistor in any of the selenium designs its the same with their high end tube radio,'s like huldra 6 and huldra 7.i dont know man are tandberg radio designs Even good?
Here in norway tandberg has a pretty good reputation atleast.

Are kemet radial capacitors better than electrolytics though?

That,s what I call a "loaded question " , a radial capacitor is a capacitor with both connections at one end an axial capacitor has leads at either end --nothing to do with the composition of the capacitor.

What you are really saying is ---are film capacitors "better " than electrolytics -- of course they are but check out the fact electrolytic capacitors can be many 10,s of 1000,s of mfd so for large amounts of smoothing in high quality audio high values are the order of the day unless you build a very low ripple stablised power supply .

But then you have the critics who say --- but that wont output massive amounts of current just when I need it so there are two camps of thought on this those who don't want to blow the neighbors away and like to listen at normal music levels and those who like to broadcast their "music " 10 blocks away down the highway.

Are they "good quality " I haven't bought any but looking at their spec they sound okay --is there better ? ---yes but its up to you how much you want to spend on a radio .

Tandberg is now owned by a USA multinational company called Cisco very well known to me multi billion $$$$ located in San Jose .

I know what you want to hear but the truth is Tandberg produced good equipment BUT their "sound " never caught on in the USA or the UK they went bust as a result .

I know that they went bust hell i know most of the of this history what a tragic end but atleast they lasted from 1933 to 1978 thats longer than any other Norwegian radio Manufacturer. The only Norwegian audio company that survived was the daughter company of radionette seas. There are other good audio Manufacturers at that time who failed SOON after like sansui.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.