• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Ordering from Justradios.com

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Film caps are usually too big to fit where an electrolytic cap was and they are very expensive. MIEC caps are completely the opposite and are cheap crap from China. There is no MIEC website I can find and no datasheet for the parts. If you are doing cheap, crappy work, then these would be fine for you.

Somewhere in between these two options there are tons of parts from reputable manufacturers.

Film caps are usually too big to fit where an electrolytic cap was and they are very expensive. MIEC caps are completely the opposite and are cheap crap from China. There is no MIEC website I can find and no datasheet for the parts. If you are doing cheap, crappy work, then these would be fine for you.

Somewhere in between these two options there are tons of parts from reputable manufacturers.

Try not to be bias, there's always good & bad stuff from any country & this includes the US as well.

I found it on a secure search engine Audiowize its-

Full River Cap.co Ltd.-Tiawan as I don't buy their stuff I will have to take your advice , website looks cheaply done .

Guess who advises you to buy them ( 2 lines of advertising links)----Justradios usually a sign of a concessionaire .

江溢科技-電解電容,鋁電解電容器,電容器,電解電容器,無極性電容,直流電容,牛角電容器,鎖磥絲型電容,超電容,Aluminumelectrolytic,capacitors,Capacitors,Electrolytic capacitor,Non-polar,DC Capacitor,Snap-inCapacitor, screw terminal capacitor,supper capacitor - 江溢科技企業有限公司.

Your okay no malware on the website probably due to them using Cloudfare.

For those willing to take the chance here is their range of capacitors-

Aluminum electrolytic capacitors for sale - miec

Last edited:
What do you mean by range of values.
Again . . . if you could post the value and voltage of the original caps I could suggest a quality replacement.

I would suggest you stay away from any cap for which extensive technical data is not available. Major brands, such as Nichicon, Panasonic, United Chem-con and others are not expensive.

I would also suggest you buy from a major distributor, not someplace like eBay. The reason for this is that it greatly reduces the chance of getting counterfeit caps which don't really meet the specs they claim.

And, while a schematic would provide more info, it would be helpful if you could at least tell us what type of rectifier is being used.

The data sheet will show you the maximum value of the first cap after the rectifier. The value can vary, depending on the circuit and the amount of current that the rectifier supplies. That's why a schematic would be helpful.

Last edited:
Good for what application? For some things they will work fine, for others, not.

You keep asking about parts but you refuse to answer any questions about what you want to use them in. You seem to be working on a couple of "radios" but refuse to offer any other basic information, such as what type of rectifier is being used, the values of the parts you're replacing or where in the circuit you want to use them.

It's hard to offer useful information when someone is so uncooperative. Good luck with your "radios".

Good for what application? For some things they will work fine, for others, not.

You keep asking about parts but you refuse to answer any questions about what you want to use them in. You seem to be working on a couple of "radios" but refuse to offer any other basic information, such as what type of rectifier is being used, the values of the parts you're replacing or where in the circuit you want to use them.

It's hard to offer useful information when someone is so uncooperative. Good luck with your "radios".

As somebody who has worked on radios since the late ,50,s -silver mica means one thing to me ---the RF stages of all types of radios from portables to communication receivers so I agree with you .

I was asking if the Silver mica capacitors were of good quality im going to replace those old round capacitors you know black small Round and this is the schematic. And second of all is that i didnt ask about what you can use mica capacitors for im asking if those Silver mica capacitors are of good quality. You see those Silver mica capacitors are made by Indian ruby muscovite a manufacturer that i know nothing about.and the 8uf film capacitor was for a radio i sadly dont have a schematic for a standard Pan 358a which i though was a imported radiobell 358a.but the values were a Little different so instead of a 8 uf 500v its 16uf 450v.and also sadly i dont have the schematics for most of my radios.

Sorry Fjellreven , that link has a self signed safety certificate which is not normal .it might be okay but I was warned not to advance to it.

Its probably to save money but I don't take chances .

I have most of the circuit diagrams for radios sold in the UK for 1950 onward s and some pre 1950 but there is not much in the way of Pam.

Thank goodness I kept my collection of --Radio & Television Servicing yearly hardbacks which contain multitudes of radio circuits including bakelite Echo TV,s as entrepreneurs are now charging people for those diagrams.

Tell me the rectifier valve number and I can tell you if its okay to use the 16uf in the reservoir position.

The modern dipped variety of silver mica are reliable BUT it depends where you buy them.

I recognised those old round silver mica capacitors N101N used in old radios I do agree with your choice for audio especially the polystyrene .

Used to buy them for 5p (UK money ) = one shilling old money now they start at nearly £1 (UK )= just over one $.

I knew it was going to happen so stripped them out of unrepairable radios and early Tektronix scopes .

I think its radios he is working on.

Im not picky its Just that i want something that works a while i dont want use silver mica capacitors in the rf stage Just to be as reliable as the original capacitors, and also too bad you cant open the link it has every tandberg schematic that exist. And also by small Round black capacitors i meant these. From what i have heard these small black capacitors are unreliable. Also what is the name of these small black capacitors. The reason i wanted to replace them with mica capacitors is that i have heard they are more reliable and they are the same values you know for example 600pf.

Attachments

• IMG_20200625_234238.jpg
    IMG_20200625_234238.jpg
    539.3 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_20200625_234419.jpg
    IMG_20200625_234419.jpg
    847.4 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_20200625_234421.jpg
    IMG_20200625_234421.jpg
    902.9 KB · Views: 127
I recognise the ceramic semi variable capacitors your circuit looks 1960,s .
Your right those tubular black capacitors weren't meant to last a lifetime I think they were Mylar capacitors usually used in interconnection of tubes in early stages ( IF etc ) of radios --

Just for you here they are ( second down )-

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration - Capacitors

Even give you their recommended replacements --scroll down .

I hope you are not attempting to stock a single type of cap to replace all non electrolytic caps in antique radios. This is bad practice. So is wholesale recapping. Ordinary modern film caps be they tubular or gumdrop will suffice to replace paper caps in electronic radios but for the various non paper types you need an understanding of why that type of cap was used to begin with and when/if they should be replaced. No disrespect intended to any individual here but for antique radio work you should take advantage of the body of knowledge available at another fantastic site, the antique radio forum at Antique Radios - The Collector's Resource

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.