Open source Waveguides for CNC & 3D printing!

Not to disrupt this superb thread, so apologies for a bit of sidestepping: does anyone here know by what technique the Bliesma 34 mm dome is being formed/manufactured?
Brush-Wellman / Materion Beryllium foil.
Not vapor deposition as TAD diaphragms, if so the price would also be higher. They do make other more advanced geometries as fx: JBL 476 Be diaphragms has the solid diamond pattern surround of JBL in a one piece diaphragm and not the mylar suspension typically found on Radian diaphragms etc.

That would be great @fluid !

If it could fit inside the default ~10.5cm mounting diameter, that would be perfect because then I can easily switch and compare measurements.
Here is something basic, the mounting holes should match the existing ones from the driver. There is 0.25mm gap either side the surround so you may need to change print it at a slightly different size depending on the actual size your printer will print it at.

There is a spacer ring file, this is meant to keep the waveguide from touching the glued part of the surround, the size for this is a guess so you might need to adjust the size.

6mm-T34A-WG.png

Attachments

• WG+Spacer Ring T34A.zip
    100.2 KB · Views: 92
Reactions: 2 users
Wow @fluid, thank you, that looks really great !!!

I will let the waveguide and ring printed and post a few pictures as soon as the parts arrive.

This puts some extra pressure on me to start constructing the cabinets.
You're welcome, if you are printing yourself test the size by printing only the bottom few layers first, if you are sending it out to be printed you might want to scale it up slightly to be safe, it is a pretty tight fit to the surround and the printer may not produce a 100% size.

For the spacer check with your own driver, measure to see what size it should be to fit in the gap between the glued on surround and the mounting holes. 0.2mm should be enough thickness but I haven't printed these myself to know for sure.

With wave guide the smaller T25B tweeter schould be perfect to combine with the MW19TX. Where do you plan to cross over?

It's probably bad to hear - but the T34A is pretty bad to put in a waveguide. It's membrane geometry is built for wide dispersion and very bulging - causes problems at high frequencies.

If you want a WG - get T25B ot T34B. If you want to use the T34A - get a low crossover and enjoy the incredible wide dispersion of that tweeter ;)
IMO - if you go for a Bliesma - go for the BE version. Since they truly need a WG to work. Me and a friend tried the T34B against two WG'ed tweeters. And the Bliesma radiated all over the place and totally lost the stereo image in its super wide "spray-pattern". And this was in a very well damped and acoustical nice room, with no hard surfaces. So a modern home with naked walls, would make it a tweeter-mush and 0 stereo. Just my opinion ;)

Also... consider the price. A SB 26ADC/CDC works wonders in a waveguide from Augerpro, at like 1/8 of the price (y)

That's 100% use case dependend.
The speaker with T34A which I was involved in making was designed for broad and consistent radiation. But not for critical listening in the sweet spot - for serving music to a living room/kitchen combination - with the option to go loud. There is incredibly even sound all over the room with unusual good high(est) frequency content even wide off axis.
Another project was a speaker for an dance/meditation room where people move from laying down to standing all over the place. And you needed power. T34A would be the best choice for that (was not available at that time).

Very often when "normal" people visit my listening room (non environment design) they are looking to the sides and wondering why that "surrounding feeling" is missing. And many expect that as part of listening to music (and don't even know it differntly).

I'm building directional speakers for my living room - but that's not everyones cup of tea. And then the T34A is a great option.

Like always - make your CONCEPT first, then buy speakers! Saves a lot of money ;)

And the Bliesma radiated all over the place and totally lost the stereo image in its super wide "spray-pattern".
Unfortunately this was also my experience with the T34A in an earlier prototype. But it was without a waveguide. And there was extreme diffraction caused by the edges of the simple baffle.

There is incredibly even sound all over the room with unusual good high(est) frequency content even wide off axis.
This is the exactly the reason why I would like to use the T34A. And I hope to get a reasonable stereo image by reducing the diffraction and "super wide spray-pattern" slightly.

I'm planning to make the tweeter section as a replaceable component. That makes it easier to switch tweeters / waveguides and compare the results.

I agree. It's just, that when you seek to sit down and fully emerge yourself into detailed music reproduction. Then i find that the absolutely most smooth transition between midrange and tweeter - is essential.

So if I look at this one-of-a-kind dedicated midrange:
PTT6.5M08-NFA-01A

Which still need to be crossed - max - at 2kHz with 4 order and break-up notch filter - to have an even directivity. Then the tweeter has to have that lower end controlled directivity to obtain this kind of cross-over smoothness. I can't see anything else than a WG doing this.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree. It's just, that when you seek to sit down and fully emerge yourself into detailed music reproduction. Then i find that the absolutely most smooth transition between midrange and tweeter - is essential.

So if I look at this one-of-a-kind dedicated midrange:
PTT6.5M08-NFA-01A

Which still need to be crossed - max - at 2kHz with 4 order and break-up notch filter - to have an even directivity. Then the tweeter has to have that lower end controlled directivity to obtain this kind of cross-over smoothness. I can't see anything else than a WG doing this.
That's the reason I don't use 6,5" speaker for midrange when I want a wide dispersion and always b?th about these 6"/1" "high end" bookshelf speakers for a lot of money. ;)
With a very low crossed over T34A it actually could work but these standard 1" tweeters ... I stick with 2-3" dome midrange when possible.

The oposite when I WANT directivity, I chose 8" for my latest project and a proper horn/wg for the tweeter. Not easy to find a good sounding 8" for that task ...

With a bigger size 3"/1" Wavegudie you could probably have both ... I would buy it!

20220518_103907 (FHD).jpg

Reactions: 1 user
IMO - if you go for a Bliesma - go for the BE version. Since they truly need a WG to work. Me and a friend tried the T34B against two WG'ed tweeters. And the Bliesma radiated all over the place and totally lost the stereo image in its super wide "spray-pattern". And this was in a very well damped and acoustical nice room, with no hard surfaces. So a modern home with naked walls, would make it a tweeter-mush and 0 stereo. Just my opinion ;)

Also... consider the price. A SB 26ADC/CDC works wonders in a waveguide from Augerpro, at like 1/8 of the price (y)
Partly agree. Every Bliesma tweet I've heard in action so far was a disappointment, except for the softdomes.
Contrary to the SB26's.

But after listening to Be for a while, I almost always get a headache anyway, so it's also a personal thing.

Last edited:
With wave guide the smaller T25B tweeter schould be perfect to combine with the MW19TX. Where do you plan to cross over?

It's probably bad to hear - but the T34A is pretty bad to put in a waveguide. It's membrane geometry is built for wide dispersion and very bulging - causes problems at high frequencies.

If you want a WG - get T25B ot T34B. If you want to use the T34A - get a low crossover and enjoy the incredible wide dispersion of that tweeter ;)

True, but there are many alternative options, which will also save you money.

Will try and print an 8" WG for the SB26ADC and mate it with the Eighteen Sound 8NMB420. The midrange might seem to have high sensitivity.... but I think that will very soon get eaten up by baffle step
The 8NMB420 isn't always smooth sailing the datasheet and reality are different.

A good collection of 8" drivers tested by IamJF
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/full-size-3-way-project.389962/post-7161507
Looks like the Beyma 8P300Fe/N in the speaker.