Open Source Monkey Tower

Maybe not! :)

My idea was to:

1. Keeping all contraints except speaker height
2. Extend in such a way that it allows for a crossover compartment (adding some ~25cm)
3. Extend further to get the drivers at an optimal listening height. By doing that I also get a few more liters for the speaker section of the cabinet.

Should I aim for having the tweeters or the midrange at "ear height"?

Do I need to change bass XO or port tuning? (I'm not that good at this)

/Dominic

Joined 2019
Paid Member
@ Dominic,

You are probably referring to my project. If so, it is not on hold. Just slow. I can post a couple pics but it will be a week. Middle of finish painting and will be out of town on business thru Thursday. It's extended bass so interior length of driver section is 866mm. Then the bottom then 200mm space for xovers.

Mine is built with 3/4in baltic birch. All data for build is located here and regular monkey thread. Inside dimensions except length are same as standard cabinet. Important to maintain driver location as measured from inside top and sides.

A lot of work but should be worth it. Sound is reported to be great. Everybody has been super supportive answering questions. I had a lot of them. I will try to answer any questions related to this configuration.

Like M said... go for it. Good luck.

Don

Thanks Matthias and Don!

So, Don, your speakers will be some 1120mm high excl. feet. If I add 50mm for some kind of feet the total height will be 1170, which means that my ears will be between the midrange and tweeter seen from the listening position. Should be OK right? (Unless I change sofa or I start to grow vertically, which is not expected.. but I did not expect to grow as much as I did in the horizontal plane during the covid lockdown, so I cannot be sure of anything really.. :D:D:D)

BR-tubes: 2 pieces 4" diameter and 20cm something long. Maybe Intertechnik BR100V/SW could be something. It's telescopic! See pictures!

I have this issue with my listening/living room being a bit narrow, so I have to place the speaker quite close to the front wall, given the OSMC-tower is quite deep. Can I place the BR-tubes on the front without sacrificing sound quality? Some claim that BR's leak stuff you do not want to hear or not to be blended with the direct sound from the drivers.. even though it is a very common solution.

I have not fully understood if changes to the bass xo was needed or not!? Matthias you did some simulations, but it wasn't conclusive or?

/Dominic

Attachments

• Telescopic BR100V_SW #1.PNG
    Telescopic BR100V_SW #1.PNG
    96.1 KB · Views: 184
  • Telescopic BR100V_SW #2.PNG
    Telescopic BR100V_SW #2.PNG
    31.9 KB · Views: 175
Can I place the BR-tubes on the front without sacrificing sound quality? Some claim that BR's leak stuff you do not want to hear or not to be blended with the direct sound from the drivers.. even though it is a very common solution.

We had some lengthy discussions about this in the OSMC thread. Long story short: I am not a fan of front-firing BR ports. But,as I wrote before, if you could move the ports on the rear, you can move them to the sides or the front.

I have not fully understood if changes to the bass xo was needed or not!? Matthias you did some simulations, but it wasn't conclusive or?

See post #88 for the modifications that would be needed for Dons larger box. The calculations for the compensation of the impedance peak are usually straight forward and spot-on, so you should be fine with these values.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Dominic,

Your vertical dimension is spot on to my actual. Outside.

The recommended tube dimensions are 4in diameter x 24cm long. (Starting long) Placed midpoint in the driver volume vertically.. I placed mine so space between ea box wall to the tubes and the space between the tubes is equal.

Don

@ mbrennwa: Ok, so it was just the impedance "smoothing" network that was adjusted in the xo. Understood.

@ Don: If I understand correctly; -you place the ports side-by-side in the middle of the speaker cabinet part of the enclosure (at 433mm vertically)?
And, yes, xo compartment height of 200mm should be enough.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
It's taken a while but here are pictures of my speaker cabinets. Now for the fun part.

A 1000 thanks to all who invested their time and knowledge to this endeavor. You made this possible.

The backside foto shows the bottom shelf that separates the speaker volume from the xover space and the hole for the speakOn connector between the two.

My next post will hopefully be when making sound.

Thank you again.

Don

Attachments

• IMG_1917.jpg
    IMG_1917.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_1908.jpg
    IMG_1908.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_1914.jpg
    IMG_1914.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_1912.jpg
    IMG_1912.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_1919.jpg
    IMG_1919.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_1915.jpg
    IMG_1915.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 199
I have this issue with my listening/living room being a bit narrow, so I have to place the speaker quite close to the front wall, given the OSMC-tower is quite deep. Can I place the BR-tubes on the front without sacrificing sound quality? Some claim that BR's leak stuff you do not want to hear or not to be blended with the direct sound from the drivers.. even though it is a very common solution.
Actually, this is a much smaller issue on your taller box than with the original. Also, if you want to place them close to a rear wall it's very slightly less problematic with room modes.

IMO these speakers do not require a subwoofer either way, the common modern use scenario would be to have some speakers and hide away a "subwoofer" that is often smaller than the combined volume of the speakers...
As I see it, if you want to augment and seriously offload the speakers in any meaningful way, you should account for double the volume in subwoofers as what you have for speakers because properly reproducing lower frequencies require more loading volume.