• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

OPA1656: High-Performance CMOS Audio Op Amp

Thank you very much for the post, I will read it for sure. OPA828 has better parameters than OPA1641 and OPA1655 but maybe these opamps sound better?And here is my PCB from RIAA preamplifier
IMG_20220929_204249.jpg

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Like many opamps, the OPA1656 does NOT have constant gain-bandwidth product. There are additional poles and zeroes in its frequency response, which introduce additional lumpity bumpity behaviors in the gain-vs-frequency and phase-vs-frequency plots. Take a look at this figure from its datasheet.

Gain at 1 kHz is approx 95 dB (56000 x) so the GBW product at 1 kHz is approx 56 million, namely, 56 MHz.

_

Attachments

• berump.png
    berump.png
    34.6 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
That open-loop gain & phase graph was done with 10 pf load, maybe 10 cm of audio coax -- ignoring the connector. The spec sheet overshoot graphs show you want care with capacitive loads such as lines longer than an inch or two, and reading between the lines suggests best practice is a 50-ish ohm isolation resistor immediately after the opamp feedback loop.

Hello everyone. I upgraded my OPamp on my Aiyima A07 from stock NE5532 with OPA 1656, having read alot of good things about them. But i am very dissappointed. The sparkling high end details dissappeared while making the whole presentation very dull & boring. The audio feels much better overall with NE 5532. How is this possible. Am i doing something wrong ? Or are the 1656 chip supposed to have a burn-in time ?

Depending on the circuit and layout, it might be oscillating and distorting a lot. Do you have a schematic you can post?
I don't have the schematics but lots of other users of this amp has reported great enhancement in SQ after the upgarde. Also, I have used 4.7uF electrolytic + 0.22 uF film cap across the OPamp power pins. But removing them doesn't improve the sound either !

Attachments

• IMG_20220926_082226_editt.jpg
    IMG_20220926_082226_editt.jpg
    414.9 KB · Views: 287
Sometimes 'sparkling high end details' are actually distortion. Since this is a class-D amp there may be some switching noise getting into the analog circuitry. Do you have a scope?
Is it ? It feels very clean & lively with the NE 5532 though. I don't have the scope but the measurments are here on this page : https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ds/aiyima-a07-tpa3255-review-amplifier.18984/
Can I use one NE 5532 & OPA 1656 simultaneously in each seperate channel just for trying ?

Unfortunately I have just the basic NE 5532 & OPA 1656 that i purchased recently. It's just an hour old. Do these need burn in time to open up ? It's very contrained in presentation with OPA 1656 & most of the music seems to come from middle of the two channel speaker system, while with 5532 it seems to play with a larger soundstage like all other amps.