Omicron, a compact headphone amp with -140dB distortion

Joined 2020
Paid Member
Yes. The two Gnd are not tied together until you plug into the omicron amp board, so take note when testing.

V+ | Gnd | Gnd | V-

Screenshot 2024-01-10 at 21-52-11 1696028057556.png (PNG Image 1538 × 619 pixels).png

Joined 2020
Paid Member
Yea close enough, carry on. Mine were somewhere around similar values, you'd have to sift through quite a few if you really wanted things to be precisely matched, probably doesn't matter though.

You can plug in the values you used for R5/R6 and R7/R8 to https://www.omnicalculator.com/other/lm317 and see what you get. Then there's resistor tolerances coming into play, and there you go. BOM values net you around 16.85.

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2009
Paid Member
National Electrical Code doesn't apply here, so anyone can choose whatever colors. All wires of the same color would work, as would all the same color except first pin (V+). I use red for positive, white or blue for negative, black for ground, and green for PGOOD, but that's mostly driven by the colors of the wire I have at hand, as well as by the desire to minimize wiring errors when debugging, tweaking, and characterizing the board, which involves many plug-ins and plug-outs.

BTW Molex makes ready-to-use KK254 cable assemblies which might save you from some crimping - with all black wires.

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2021
Paid Member
That cable would have saved my finger tips!
I do need some help on the volume pot wiring. I have the alps 10k with the breakout pcb. I think it goes like this.
ain = center pin from a rca
aout = right in on amp board
bin = center pin from b rca
bout = left in on amp board
Not sure about the a and b com.

Joined 2021
Paid Member
I thought this old $3 toaster would be a good chassis but it‘s not quite wide enough for the flaps to close. At least I know everything works and sounds great. I’ll clean up the wiring once I get a more permanent chassis. And I have to (get to) buy some decent headphones.

Thanks to @alexcp for this great project and all your help and @bloqhed too for jumping in with some much needed help.
IMG_1579.jpeg IMG_1581.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users
Joined 2021
Paid Member
I realize I’m not fully moved in and soldered to everything yet. What would cause a grounding hum, but goes away when the headphone jack ground is also grounded to the chassis? I have no other issues, everything works perfectly and sounds great. I’m using an old 1/4“ adapter I scrounged up, with some cheap earbud.

Joined 2021
Paid Member
This is how it’s connected from the board to the headphone jack. White to TIP, black to GR, red to RI. I followed alexcp guide he posted above for the volume pot. I’ll try to work up a quick sketch, I must have missed something somewhere. I have a jumper wire from the jack ground to chassis and it’s totally quiet.
IMG_1585.jpeg