Old Soul

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I know that Pras had ( maybe still have them) those big Ge Papa did show around min 4

Though, according to datasheets, 2N1099 are superior in temperature domain and maybe even power wise, so I didn't pull that trigger

dunno , still question mark, is that comparison truthful or not, only real tests can show ........ anyway - small stash of 2N1099 I have, snatched in few different ocassions, did show that each of them is trouble free

but, as experience did show - with all these old ones - in first time you must deal with them as they are TNT, ready to blow every second

Tangerine_Dream_-_Sorcerer.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Just a quick update. I consider my Old Soul to be complete as it sounded lovely as is. It's very quiet, quite cool running, and the only the hiccup I had was my bad luck with some 2n1099 devices. To me, it's an amp well worth building and I hope others will try it.

Thank you Mighty ZM for sharing this with us.

My next amp project will be something larger (5U/500) and hotter running. Unfortunately with some stuff happening here I likely won't be able to start till May...

Cheers,
Dennis

Joined 2016
Paid Member
shall we try DEF stage with Toob and Mosfet now?

:devilr:

I'm game !
:D

No, really !
Let's see, an EL84 needs about -10V of bias ... if I take the SissySIT R.3 biasing method, at 30 mA from the current source, we are looking at a level shifter resistor of 330R, with a dissipation of 300 mW ... s, a 1W or 2W resistor should be fine ...
We would need an output transformer ... would a P-P transformer work, or would you need an SE transformer ... bias currents can be made to cancel, but what about signal current ?

... or am I too fast ? :geek:

Regards, Claas

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Just a quick update. I consider my Old Soul to be complete as it sounded lovely as is. It's very quiet, quite cool running, and the only the hiccup I had was my bad luck with some 2n1099 devices. To me, it's an amp well worth building and I hope others will try it.

Thank you Mighty ZM for sharing this with us.

My next amp project will be something larger (5U/500) and hotter running. Unfortunately with some stuff happening here I likely won't be able to start till May...

Cheers,
Dennis

Congratulations on crossing the finish line Dennis! I hope you will have many chances to enjoy Old Soul while you wait for May to come around.

DEF + Tubes + Mosfet?? This greenhorn cannot resist :)

Joined 2017
Paid Member
Since summer has arrived, I just recently swapped f4 / old soul.
BIG smile. (Same goes for the swap the other way round of course.)

I especially like the way old soul wakes up, all uncombed and distorted and comes to its working condition after warmup. Just like me before I got my coffee 😁