Noir, a two transistor headphone amp: class-A, single ended, 150mA bias

Been doing some critical listening with the Noir vs the new amp on the block: Monoprice Monolith 887....$399. Its the one some sites have measured as one of the best measuring amps out there with a unique method of negating the issue of crossover distortion when running in Class AB.

Well my wonderful wife asked me what I wanted for Christmas and I now have this THX AAA 887 inhouse.

Its indeed an excellent amp.

But I spent the last day going back and forth comparing the Noir with it.

The amazing thing (I posted more details at audiocircle.com) is that the Noir holds it own in this comparison...and at times I preferred the Noir over the new kid on the block!

So once again numbers are important but they dont tell the whole story!

Alex

Since you're in the US, the best idea is probably to just buy it from DigiKey (LINK).

Maybe the second best idea is to buy Mouser part number 710-74270035

Mark:
I noticed the original spec ferrite core is a LF material core. Laird has a shorter, fatter LF core, the LFB143064-100 in stock at Mouser. Very similar spec, seems like it should work to replace the LFB095051-000. Maybe put a few more turns on the core? It is slightly smaller OD than the Wurth 74270035
LFB143064-100 Laird Performance Materials | Mouser

Any preferences?

Joined 2011
Paid Member
5mm wider (larger diameter) might make it harder to thread and couple the zip tie which holds the coil snugly against the board. But sure, give it a try, especially if you've got the extra long 8" zip ties.

It wouldn't surprise me if one or more builders have experimented with removing the hand-wound coil entirely, and replacing it with some kind of filtration network involving resistors, inductors, and capacitors, in a circuit topology of their own design. Who knows, it might work very well, and it certainly would be an involved project to occupy yourself during long winter nights ....

I finished my Noir build this evening and have chalked up my first hour of listening to it. First impressions are already extremely positive; ev erything seems well balanced, excellent detail and, seemingly 'fast'! So far listening has just been using some cheap headphones and source has been FLAC files played on my tiny portable DAC music player but tomorrow I'll plug in my DSC2 DSD decoder and my BeyerDynamic DT880 'phones.

I didn't follow the standard build. I flipped the board 180deg and included a Noble volume pot and RCA sockets on the back panel and also moved the headphone socket and switch to the rear - that's left me with a nice clean front panel to which I applied a little LED bling.

So3ObEK.jpg

dSS4yYM.jpg

gOJRKPr.jpg

Thanks for offering us the project Mark; It's an easy build, worked first time and the resullts are very pleasing straight from first power on.

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Nautiboy, congratulations! That is a spectacularly beautiful build. Absolutely top-flight craftsmanship.

You can expect a feverish PM from moderator 6L6, asking you (1) how did you make the blue light surround the volume control; and (2) where did you get that KNOB ?!?!?!!

Don't answer, it will only encourage him.

5mm wider (larger diameter) might make it harder to thread and couple the zip tie which holds the coil snugly against the board. But sure, give it a try, especially if you've got the extra long 8" zip ties.

It wouldn't surprise me if one or more builders have experimented with removing the hand-wound coil entirely, and replacing it with some kind of filtration network involving resistors, inductors, and capacitors, in a circuit topology of their own design. Who knows, it might work very well, and it certainly would be an involved project to occupy yourself during long winter nights ....

I mostly wondered why you chose a core with low frequency optimized ferrite?
Does that matter? Or was it just the size/shape of the core you wanted?

(If you want to answer, I certainly wouldn't mind... but don't tell Mark.)

It's really pretty simple and, as the saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words so hopefully these will explain it;

N4wi6Xb.jpg

ahQHEA0.jpg

p3DM3Xm.jpg

I had the front panel machined by Modushop (the lettering was engraved by them too). The LED PCB I did myself and had fabricated in China (it's so cheap now that stuff like this is really doable without braking the bank) - it's fixed to the front panel with a coupe of dabs of cyano. BTW, the square hole in the middle of the PCB is sized to accomodate a TKD 2CP-601 potentiometer - before I found the Noble pot I was going to use one mounted on the front panel. I can send you a spare PCB and provide you with the mechanical drawings if its of interest?

As for the knob, it's from a Chinese ebay vendor but it's been hanging around for a couple of years so I can't give you a name or a link. IIRC it's 31mm diameter and solid aluminium. The recess in the front panel has a diameter 1mm larger.

Cheers

Ray

Which would you choose?

Now that I have done some looking into core materials, I'm guessing the external choke on my Meanwell supply cable is probably #31 material, not great low frequency performance.
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/709-GST25U24-P1J

So an even lower frequency material would be useful.

The Fair-Right 2675023002 has identical dimensions to your original spec Laird LFB095051-000 and is 43 ohms at 500K vs 36 ohms at 500K for the Laird. So it seems to be a good match for the application.
https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/150/2675023002-1666507.pdf

Mouser has plenty of Fair-Right 2675023002 in stock. That's the one I will order. Then there will be no worries about an oversize OD.
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetai...vheFiR0Uth90bMJXeeGav35VeZOZqDVCGVH1q7gPyRA==

All boxed up! Enjoying the music while I work on the computer.

m1Pvaxf.jpg

Really sounds excellent - very easy to listen too. It gives a nice rich, weighty presentation against a nice black background, drives the music along, excellent separation of the musical strands and lots of detail - as I say, very easy to enjoy. :hphones:

That is the exact ferrite I used (post #59 + 59).

Thanks, avtech23. I just love to re-invent the wheel (duh). Saw your post - guess I should have clicked the link & discovered the P/N. I typically order only from Mouser if possible, to save on freight and handling. I did, however, learn some new things about different types of ferrite material by doing the research.

I just ordered for the Noir PCB, so for those who are interested, here is a Mouser BOM with all listed parts in stock as of Dec 15, 2019.

The L2 core and the resettable fuse are substitutions for out of stock spec parts. Resistors have been changed to RN55D wherever possible because I like them. Isolation washers for the TO-220 heatsinks have been added. Customer component reference IDs have been inserted that match the schematic.

Fair warning: this is for PCB parts only, no front or rear panel components and no external power supply. I suggest you do a sort by customer number and verify the accuracy for yourself before ordering.

https://www.mouser.com/ProjectManager/ProjectDetail.aspx?AccessID=590EBC05B5

Joined 2011
Paid Member
... for those who are interested, here is a Mouser BOM with all listed parts in stock as of Dec 15, 2019 ... Isolation washers for the TO-220 heatsinks have been added ...

Weren't they there already? I just visited the diyAudio Store page for Noir (link) and clicked on its link to the Mouser shopping cart, in the "DESCRIPTION" section.

The very first item in that cart is the shoulder washer (figure 1 below) and the very last item in the cart is the TO-220 thermal pad (goes between MOSFET and heatsink) in figure 2 below.

What else needs to be purchased, that was missing from the cart?

_

Attachments

• washer.png
    washer.png
    20 KB · Views: 688
  • pad.png
    pad.png
    21.4 KB · Views: 673
Weren't they there already? I just visited the diyAudio Store page for Noir (link) and clicked on its link to the Mouser shopping cart, in the "DESCRIPTION" section.

The very first item in that cart is the shoulder washer (figure 1 below) and the very last item in the cart is the TO-220 thermal pad (goes between MOSFET and heatsink) in figure 2 below.

What else needs to be purchased, that was missing from the cart?

Mark
Sorry, I was working off the old T2 BOM did not realize you had an updated one for the Noir. Maybe I'll just pull this list and create a new one that only shows the alternate fuse and core, along with RN55D resistors for those who are interested.

I have ordered the items in the Mouser basket, save 2 items as these weren't in stock.

For the Alps (delivery expected Februari 2020) I chose as temporary replacement:
1688-RK16312A0B85
RK16312A0B85
ALPS Potentiometers
The Alps mentioned above isn't a good replacement, the notch for the lock isn't in the right place:

Attachments

• IMG_20191220_115926.jpg
    IMG_20191220_115926.jpg
    538.4 KB · Views: 610
Joined 2011
Paid Member
If it's just a temporary "place holder" while you wait for an ALPS to be delivered, you could think about cutting off that peg with big side-cutting pliers. Or you could file it down with a file. The friction from the front panel fastening nut will hold the potentiometer in a fixed position, at least for a couple of months. You could also consider applying some hot melt glue around the pot, to adhere it to the inside face of the front panel. Hot glue can be removed later with an X-acto knife.